Grizzly old fart
But then again. Souths didn't want a top grade coach either, and only a couple of years or so after winning the competition.
I don't think Rusty and James Packer, who own between them 75% of the Rabbitohs (the members own the other 25%), scrimp when it comes to money being spent. When Madge won them a comp, following big money invested by Crowe in 2014, money flowed. But Madge couldn't keep up the spirit of winning and dropped down in following years until 2016 when they finished 12th. That's when Rusty and Packer gave Madge the flick, brought in Seibold, spent money again and got Souths back high in the finals. Thing is spending the money wisely got the crowds back, got the sponsors on side, increased Souths value. Fudge on spending too much and you get what you pay for. They know when things aren't working and have the business sense to correct the problem quickly. Penn doesn't seem to have that nous, at least in league.