Is Tom's best position fullback?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Tommy Turbo is a fullback to me.
However, I’ve grown a concern over Jake and Tommy’s ‘emotion spilled body language’ and ‘behaviour’ during matches for the last couple of seasons. Both of these champions have been a bit too ‘sooky’ and distressed over bad calls or mistakes of their own and the teams..
I think it’s great that they care about the results and they’re passionate team players. But the mopey and sooky body language and ‘farrrr kennel’ gestures don’t look as good as other senior players and leaders of the NRL. A champion player knows he can’t drop his head and swear at the ground or sky.. even that prick Slater will brush off his own mistake, take ownership and keep up beat, clapping and rallying his defensive line for the following turnover.
I wish tommy took notice of some of the leading veterans in the NRL and how they handle dissapoitment in a game.
Jake and Tommy are humble and grounded people, but the way they’ve been conducting themselves on field at times has been frustrating to watch, they’re bigger leaders than they might realise so they need to show the rest of the team how to keep their cool when things go against us..
Hope that makes sense, these guys are future legends and already champions, they still need act like it

To make an example from yesterday, a couple of times when a Manly player had to bat the ball dead in the in goal. It felt like Tommy would swear and shake his head and throw his hands up in frustration when ever he knew the camera was on him. I see this from a lot of NRL players that sense the camera panning over to them after a stop in play, usually from one of their mistakes. They shouldn’t be smiling or chirpy for dropping the ball of course. But the extra animated disappointment seems to be layed on a bit thicker and it shows like they want the audience to know how dirty they are on themselves or the ruling. There’s nothing wrong with any of that in theory but in reality it looks exaggerated for the viewers. I sound so cynical but I think it’s a bit weird, not saying it’s cringeworthy but just a bit suss..

Rant

Suli to left centre. Kelly to wing.
Hastings in.
Mate you could throw young Anderson there if need be . Tom gets found out to much , Smith did it to him , Marshall yesterday and it will keep happening against the experienced players . It will happen to a young bloke as well but we need to mix it up abit . Turbo is a attacking weapon but very ordinary at times under the pump.

Mate you could throw young Anderson there if need be . Tom gets found out to much , Smith did it to him , Marshall yesterday and it will keep happening against the experienced players . It will happen to a young bloke as well but we need to mix it up abit . Turbo is a attacking weapon but very ordinary at times under the pump.
Maybe play him at 5/8
Solves the croker debacle and protects Tommy. Big ask to put tom wright or anderson to fullback though, however its an option. Even hastings to fullback if barrett doesnt rate him as a half

Surely you would think he can learn positional play. It’s his job, he has the resources - someone just needs to help him sort it out. Maybe a good coach?
The best positional fullback I have seen in the past 55 years is Brett Stewart. Why haven’t we recruited him to mentor TT if we really think he is a fullback.

TT is the same age as Brett Stewart was in 2007. There is simply no comparison between the two & TT won’t ever be half the fullback the Snake was.
Turbo has more talent than Snake but Snake's game management was second to none. At the same stage of their careers, Snake was definitely the better fullback. Turbo has all the talent in the world but needs to apply it better.

We keep saying that he's going to mature and iron out these kinks but this was 2 years ago. He can shred any team on his day, like he did to the Raiders but we're not seeing it often enough. He's still a fullback every day of the week though.

TT is the same age as Brett Stewart was in 2007. There is simply no comparison between the two & TT won’t ever be half the fullback the Snake was.
I have been so excited about Tom since he started coming through the juniors, I have bought into a lot of the media hype about his future and couple of weeks ago I probably disliked posts in this thread. But today I think I have come to a realization that Tom will never be the superstar fullback we all want him to be. Watching the highlights from the game today Tom is out of position or slow to get to the play for almost all of the tries in the 1st half and he struggles to get down low after balls and players.
I think the media is partly to blame by building up the idea that the best fullbacks are the biggest, strongest most skillful players on the field. i.e Inglis and Hayne. This is a myth, the best fullbacks are the one's that can read the attacking and defensive plays equally and inject themselves at the right moment to save or make a try. On the attack you can hang back and time your runs but when your on your own line you need to be quick (not just fast). Tom has one of the best minds and bodies for attacking football but defensively he just doesn't work.

I have been so excited about Tom since he started coming through the juniors, I have bought into a lot of the media hype about his future and couple of weeks ago I probably disliked posts in this thread. But today I think I have come to a realization that Tom will never be the superstar fullback we all want him to be. Watching the highlights from the game today Tom is out of position or slow to get to the play for almost all of the tries in the 1st half and he struggles to get down low after balls and players.
I think the media is partly to blame by building up the idea that the best fullbacks are the biggest, strongest most skillful players on the field. i.e Inglis and Hayne. This is a myth, the best fullbacks are the one's that can read the attacking and defensive plays equally and inject themselves at the right moment to save or make a try. On the attack you can hang back and time your runs but when your on your own line you need to be quick (not just fast). Tom has one of the best minds and bodies for attacking football but defensively he just doesn't work.
He was injured in the game.

Okay, I’m prepared to cop a pasting by some people on here regarding our fullback. Tommy Turbo is a talented player, there’s no doubting that.
But moving forward I have grave fears it’s not his best position and he’s not the best suit for the role at the club.
He has sharp attacking ability but has an error or bad pass in him at times.

But really, it’s his defensive play that is is biggest downfall. He has been playing first grade for 3 seasons now and his positioning is a bit how you goin at times. How many times has he been in the line and the opposing team will just put a simple grubber through and stroll through the line.
Brett Stewart was always behind the defensive line and yelling at his troops to fill the holes that may be visible and his cover play was 2nd to none. Our defence at the moment absolutely sucks and it’s going to continue.

It probably won’t happen but I’d like to see him move to centre or potentially 5/8 if he could develop a kicking game. Ben Barba is a natural fullback and carved up for Cronulla and is doing the same in the ESL. If the club found the room I’d like to see them have a play at signing him.

Last edited:
I don't know whether it's an injury or mentality problem caused by the numerous problems at the club but for the last two weeks some of Tom's defensive reads have been appalling. I think he is even flying under the radar because he is no where to be seen when a try does get scored. Sadly I think he is a big reason the Tigers and Eels managed so many repeat sets against us.
I have no doubt that he and Jake are the future of the club but he needs a rest from fullback for the next couple of weeks, I think its just too much to ask of him right now.

Okay, I’m prepared to cop a pasting by some people on here regarding our fullback. Tommy Turbo is a talented player, there’s no doubting that.
But moving forward I have grace fears it’s not his best position and he’s not the best suit for the role at the club.
He has sharp attacking ability but has an error or bad pass in him at times.

But really, it’s his defensive play that is is biggest downfall. He has been playing first grade for 3 seasons now and his positioning is a bit how you goin at times. How many times has he been in the line and the opposing team will just put a simple grubbed through and stroll through the line.
Brett Stewart was always behind the defensive line and yelling at his troops to fill the holes that may be visible and his cover play was 2nd to none. Our defence at the moment absolutely sucks and it’s going to continue.

It probably won’t happen but I’d like to see him move to centre or potentially 5/8 if he could develop a kicking game. Ben Barba is a natural fullback and carved up for Cronulla and is doing the same in the ESL. If the club found the room I’d like to see them have a play at signing him.

A very knowledgeable assessment . I’d love to see Tom T right centre.

Seems there is a new thread about TT not being a FB every week.

He is down on confidence and not sure he is 100% from the injury during the Raiders game. He is being paid as a fb and that’s where he’ll be playing for the duration of his contract at least.

Yeah this is not some new outrageously original thought, people have been bleating on about this for months

And IMO they are wrong, him being in the line is indicative of modern coaching, its happening all across the game

Also he did a brilliant ball and all tackle on Hayne to save a try early in the game

Not saying he doesn't have defensive issues to work on at the back but he is 21, a year older than Tom Wright who many here think is the second coming...........he is not the finished product

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6