Is this what we want the game to be ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

simon64

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I made a point about the massive score lines in another thread and it got me thinking so I dug a little deeper.

In the finals series, when theoretically the best sides are playing one another, these are the average score per match.

2016 - 39.1
2017 - 35
2018 - 36.9
2019 - 35.5
2020 - 56.2 :oops:

Seriously ? I mean, entertainment and all that crap but stupid me still considers it a sport.
Teams now get on a roll on the back of a few cheap 6 again's (which are handed out like trophies at a junior presentation day) and the opposition really struggles to arrest that momentum.

In the 10 minute period where the Squeels scored all their points last night, they made 3 tackles. 3. That's all. No wonder they ran roughshod all over the Vermin. And mini periods of domination like this have been happening all year. Remember our game against the Tigpies ?

The contest between attack and defence needs to be balanced so that the better team can win. Not the team that gets a series of 6 agains gifted to them by the refs.

I might be off base but to me, this has turned into the rugby league version of 20/20 cricket. Let the batsmen hit the bowlers all over the place so we can blast fire into the sky and "entertain" people. As if the game wasn't entertaining enough.

If we're not careful it will become the television version of reality TV. The gastronomic version of a microwave dinner.

Just my view.

Last edited:
I don't mind the game being quicker to introduce fatigue, I don't mind the restarts but it can never be successful or have fairness whilst;
- The head bin is being used by teams to get a free replacement for 10 mins​
- That the the restarts are subjective to which team the refs have been told to favour. How many restarts were given for slowing the play the ball then have the opposition team be given longer to hold than the other.​
- How many teams get a massive favour when the game is in balance and then have catch up after the game is over as a competitive game.​

I made a point about the massive score lines in another thread and it got me thinking so I dug a little deeper.

In the finals series, when theoretically the best sides are playing one another, these are the average score per match.

2016 - 39.1
2017 - 35
2018 - 36.9
2019 - 35.5

Seriously ? I mean, entertainment and all that crap but stupid me still considers it a sport.
Teams now get on a roll on the back of a few cheap 6 again's (which are handed out like trophies at a junior presentation day) and the opposition really struggles to arrest that momentum.

In the 10 minute period where the Squeels scored all their points last night, the made 3 tackles. 3. That's all. No wonder they ran roughshod all over the Vermin. And mini periods of domination like this have been happening all year. Remember our game against the Tigpies ?

The contest between attack and defence needs to be balanced so that the better team can win. Not the team that gets a series of 6 agains gifted to them by the refs.

I might be off base but to me, this has turned into the rugby league version of 20/20 cricket. Let the batsmen hit the bowlers all over the place so we can blast fire into the sky and "entertain" people. As if the game wasn't entertaining enough.

If we're not careful it will become the television version of reality TV. The gastronomic version of a microwave dinner.

Just my view.

Thats well said regarding how Attack has overtaken defence in the new game. I've struggled to watch this game now because its not competitive anymore and it lacks balance between attack and defence just like 20/20 cricket is with bat and ball.

I would be interested in hearing what the gambling organisations have to say about the new rules.
Overs/unders, total points, and first half/second half winners would all be out the window under these rules.
Wonder if they will pressure the NRL.

Look, I think we all agree that something had to be done about the wrestle and sides pushing the boundaries with penalties just so they can reset their defence, and I’m assuming we all agree with this.

So they brought in the 6 again , which looking at it purely as keeping the side on the march in attack with the ball to continue that march is probably a good rule.

BUT what they didn’t consider was how much that can actually affect a game AND how much absolute power it can give a referee.

There was a game this year ( I forget against who) where we got first use of the ball and handed it over to the opposition in the first set and we never touched the ball again for about 18 minutes.

I remember 6 or 7 straight 6 agains and just like that it was 18-0 and at the 20 minute mark the possession read 98% to 2%.

Really ??? Is this what the 80 minute game has come down to , have one side totally dominate another and then expect the other side to come back ?

Now not quite the same numbers but we saw this again in both finals this weekend , Raiders led only to see the Roosters come back very quickly on the weight of possession .

Parramatta did the same after the weight of possession turned against Souths and then it turned back again for Souths who roared back onto the game after dominating possession for a 10 minute period.

Games are being decided by the when , where , how many and how many in a row “ 6 agains” are given.

Personally I like the rule but I dislike totally the amount of power to determine a game that it gives one single person!!

At times the one sided possession flow is probably worse than during the unlimited tackles era. Someone looking for an idea for a media story should ask Arko or other old timers like Bozo, Frank Stanton or Norm Provan for their thoughts on whether the NRL have stuffed the game up.

I personally don’t like the 6 again
I would like to know but mostly don’t have any stats on this but how many resets get given on the the 4th or 5th tackle it would highly likely to be none this alone would tell you that the interpretation of the the ruck rule is inconsistent ,
Teams don’t mind giving away the reset on the first tackle either they can reset there defensive line without giving away a penalty where a team can kick down field and gain more ground ,
A team gets disadvantaged when a reset is giving when attacking close to the opposing tryline not being able to take a penalty goal which could put a team in front ,
All this is at the discrepancy of the referee
That is why I don’t like the reset rule
If someone can find stats that differ on my views ,I’ll stand corrected

As I've seen written elsewhere, the game today is akin to big bash cricket.
Each team gets a period of time with the ball (their 1st innings), then the other side gets their 1st innings.

Then we have halftime, and the 2nd innings begins.

As I've seen written elsewhere, the game today is akin to big bash cricket.
Each team gets a period of time with the ball (their 1st innings), then the other side gets their 1st innings.

Then we have halftime, and the 2nd innings begins.
Mmmmmm it’s a bit kind that isn’t it

I personally don’t like the 6 again
I would like to know but mostly don’t have any stats on this but how many resets get given on the the 4th or 5th tackle it would highly likely to be none this alone would tell you that the interpretation of the the ruck rule is inconsistent ,
Teams don’t mind giving away the reset on the first tackle either they can reset there defensive line without giving away a penalty where a team can kick down field and gain more ground ,
A team gets disadvantaged when a reset is giving when attacking close to the opposing tryline not being able to take a penalty goal which could put a team in front ,
All this is at the discrepancy of the referee
That is why I don’t like the reset rule
If someone can find stats that differ on my views ,I’ll stand corrected

I'm pretty sure you're right Fibro. I'd say over 50% of the 6 agains come on tackle 1.
Maybe because the defending side thinks "it's only one extra tackle. Let me give the boys a chance to get set." I don't know. But I have my suspicions.

And I agree regarding the penalty from close range. There's now no choice but to tap and run.

I don't know what it is but I don't like a lot about this 6 again crap.

The game is being ruined with how much a ref can dictate the flow of the game. The inconsistency in 6 again rulings along with the timing they are given can really blow teams out of the water within 10mins.
This is ruining the contest and extremely hard to watch as a fan.
In saying this it’s nice to see the game evolve but not at the expense of the contest being handed over.

The Nrl should have reduced the interchange down to 4 to fatigue teams if that's what the Nrl was looking for. The wrestle I hated but if the standard of defence is better so be it. The 6 again is not the way to fix these problems as we have seen so far with these try-athon games..

2016 - 39.1
2017 - 35
2018 - 36.9
2019 - 35.5

In the 10 minute period where the Squeels scored all their points last night, they made 3 tackles. 3. That's all. No wonder they ran roughshod all over the Vermin. And mini periods of domination like this have been happening all year. Remember our game against the Tigpies ?

Just my view.
100% correct. Its a game of touch footy now. forget about coaching defence. Just need to score more than the opposition. Thats why i believe souths can cause an upset and be the premiers this year (as much as I hate actually typing this). I dont think canberra can match it with the 3 speedy young sides like souths, penrith, storm, in that order.This 6 again is given out with no consistency. It confuses everyone. This isnt rugby league anymore but a weird version of it. Manly just does'nt have the speedy players to play this way.

What I would like to see is analysis for the year relating to what 6 again was given for, then look at what reverts back to a penalty as done previously, and what issues that we want removed from the game in the ruck to continue to to be given 6 again, or perhaps zero tackle, or 5 in the bin.

I'm not a fan of the six again.
I think the problem is that it's not included as an official statistic. If it was the results would be very telling.
What needs to be recorded is the amount and on what tackle a six again occurs.
I know the Nrl is trying to convince their employees and all fans that the fast attacking game is exciting etc.
I think it's resulting in a lot of panic based attack. All teams are just throwing the ball around like it's got spiders on it. It's created some crazy and completely fluky tries and blown out score lines.
I feel there's also considerably more intercept tries happening as teams fire off long passes.
I feel something is wrong with the game at the moment but the Nrl is trying to convince fans it's great.
I really hope the game can get back some sort of balance.

The NRL are not after old *s like many of us .... they know most of us will watch this * anyway.
The problem is...

Wind back a year, and many people were complaining that the wrestle (and other cynical tactics) were slowing the game down too much.

The new rules have solved that problem but have gone too far in the opposite direction.

The rules still need some revision though.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7