Is this the reason we drop off at the 60th minute mark

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Darren

Bencher
Guys, did some research and noticed this with our NRL squad.
We have really young guys (too young too make a big difference) or guys who have literally had their better comps and are slowly sliding in performances. Whilst I know you will all give it to me I'm hoping you see the unbalance of the 2011 team.

a. Age 26: Matai and Brett
b. Age 27: Choc, Glenn, Rodney, Cross and Ballin
c. Age 28: Rose and Robertson
d. Age 29: Kite and Lyon
e. Age 30: King
f. Age 33: Joe

Matai, Brett, Choc, Rodney and Lyon have all been consistent long term injury propositions. At their older age, I would doubt any of these 5 will play a whole season. All this group have played for for 8-10 seasons and realistically cannot see them improving at this age and games played.

The other thing is that from Matai up, none of these guys will have "better" seasons (except Brett if he remains uninjured)

On the Opposite side: William Hopoate is 18,
DCE is 22
Keiran is 20!  
Our two scrum base have 1 year or less in NRL. I cannot see a full NRL season for both of them in regards to injury or inconsistency.

Our only two in the better age bracket for improvement is T-Rex at 22 and Wolfie at 24 and Wolfie is long term injured too. T-Rex has 3 years under his belt and has the potential to make gains.  

We have this huge gap and that concerns me. The older group cannot seem to make "the difference" and the young ones shouldn't be expected to win matches in their "rookie" years.

I believe if we can recruit 3-4 early to mid 20's players this would counteract the rookies and the older guys who can play solid but not change games. Penrith and Canberra's squads have a range of ages and look the goods. le

Choc, Gift, Rodney,Ballin haven't peaked yet and will do over the next couple of years. The props are just the right age now as props aren't mature till after mid 20's with heaps of experience. We now have speed back into the backline Snake, Wolf, Hoppa Jr, Oldfield. Lyon is at his peak and will show it over the next couple of seasons. The halves are inexperienced but young and are class one is a test player in the world champion team.The only concern is Matai with injury/suspension. 2011 is looking pretty good in my eyes.

something Sir Alex Ferguson said that stuck. To be champions, there has to be the right mix of age, ability, determination and improvement. He needs old heads, mixed with mid ages and 1-2 youngsters that all work together.

It's quite noticable that we don't have that middle gap, hence, when the boys ran out of puff in the latter 2nd half of most matches, there was never no one who could stop the rout, nor step up to change the game. With all that "experience" why didn't they step up? Why did we fall apart?

Why are we so different this year? There are no changes (except Brett)  Des won't pick Hoppa and Oldfield, too inexperienced.

Guys, why be so rude in your replies. FMD, you'd think everyone hates each other.

Darren, I actually think our squad going forward is extremely strong, but that's just me. What I DO consider important though, is positional play, and bench management. Think of it like this.

Fullback. With Hoppa / Stewart, I believe we are definitely in the top 10% of the NRL in quality here.

Wingers. D Williams / M Oldfield / M Robertson / Hoppa, I believe whilst not being world beaters, would be considered very sound, experienced and much faster than we had previously.

Centre. Whare / Matai / Lyon. Like Fullback, I'd suggest we have again, top 10% in the game. If Matai can remain suspension / injury free, we are slick in this area. Just the right amount of skill and aggression to dominate.

Halves. L Foran / DCE / K Foran. We have a ready made replacement if one of our 1/2's drop off. L Foran has played 1st grade, and played very well imo. Also, K Foran is an International. He has 1 solid NRL year behind him, and behind an under performing pack. DCE is getting HEAPS of wraps, we all know that, and remember, he played for 2-3 years with Keiran already, so will automatically be ahead in the gelling stakes.

Hooker. Higgins / Seu Seu / L Foran / Ballin. I don't know about you, but 4 very solid Hookers. Our current one is a current SOO player, Seu Seu has played for NZ, then we have some up and comers. Again, not world beaters, but I'd say in the upper tier of the whole competition.

Backrow. Watmough / Rodney / Stewart. Look at the on paper. I believe that is the best NRL backrow in the game today. I'm overly critical of players as you know, so I think that speaks wonders. Then add T Williams / J Buhrer / T Robinson / D Harrison / D Lussick as potentials for that one backrow spot on the bench, and really, ONE has to excel doesn't it?

Prop. King / Kite / Galuvao / Rose. Ok, as must of us can see, this is our bigger worries. That being said, all excelled at DIFFERENT times last year. They looked unfit really. IF, and this is a big IF, Des can get them all firing consistently, and together, we know at their best, they are still all really dominant. Rose is a current All Star. King is a current SOO player. Kite in my opinion actually had a great year last year, other people saw that differently I appreciate. Galuvao was always solid, without being a standout, and every club needs those players. He certainly didn't look 33. Then add T Williams / James Cunningham / Matt Cross / Junior Palau who could all potentially play up front, I again say, can one or two of them not succeed?

Don't take the fact that we have a NSW Cup team happening for granted either. Des could have a more hands on approach  (with Willow coaching). These great kids are now only a stones throw away, so loss of form, means opportunity for these youngens.

Therefore, I believe we have an experienced, yet youthful (in key areas) - which is a great thing energy, competitorship etc wise, balanced team that could give this comp a shake.

We only need TWO things, which I believe we can certainly do, to give it a red hot go.
1. Our forwards have to be tough, energetic and consistent.
2. Our halves have to click.

With those, plus the talent we have........we are good to go.

I like what you write Ryan, I'm hoping 2010 was just a blip, on paper, we do look very strong. You would think we won't play that poorly this year. However, if we do, some serious changes may be required. We will see if my "balances" will be noticed in 2011. Gives us something to think about.

no i reckon we drop off simply because of complacency, not fitness.. we think we have them done & dusted by the 58th minute then we rely on the other person to make the tackle rather than coming in , in gangs .. we show no urgency RIGHT WHEN we F*#@k`N need it.. sorry i got a flash back from the 2010 season

Dragons had it, Darius 23, Soward 24, Jason Smith 24, Weyman 25, Nightingale is24, These 5 stepped it up in the grand final.

Darren link said:
Dragons had it, Darius 23, Soward 24, Jason Smith 24, Weyman 25, Nightingale is24, These 5 stepped it up in the grand final.

If you mean Jeremy Smith he is touching 30

Jason Smith is almost hitting 40 aint he, and played bloody well at 37 or something for the Raiders.

Just recently on here a forum poster suggested that we changed the system in 2009-10 with some sports scientist being involved.GPS Tracking, Calves Blood, special diets (except George) etc etc.....and after two years they have realised it was a WOFTAM......AND...Donny Singe is back running them up and down sand dunes.

Attitude "may" have played a part in the 60th minute fade outs, but they just looked buggered in my opinion......so this "back to the past" as far as I am concerned and we will be better for it.

its that simple, i cant believe it, all you need is half a dozen 23-25 year olds and the title is yours......

Its 80% mind and 20% body when it comes to going the distance.
All these players are professional athletes so they've got the body. Our problem the last 2 years has been the mind. When it gets to the stage of the game where it becomes battle of the wills we've faded out.
I dont think its age or anything like that, i still reckon its a grand final victory hang over.
When ya win the big one ya can go 2 ways with it in your thinking. Strive to do it again or take the "ahwell i already won a comp" attitude.. <----thats how i reckon our key players are thinking.

We'll be back on top when the hunger is back.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8