Is our depth better or worse than in 2018?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Slipped up - when I put it together that's why I threw Hoppa to FB....at work so kinda messed up big time....:wasntme:....horrible error - thx for the pickup 40 @;)

1 - Hoppa
2 - Anderson
3 - Walker
4 - Turbo
5 - Suli
6 - Elgey
7 - DCE
Mate if your turbo goes missing it's home time. Very slowly. Lucky you found the boost switch again.

I actually would have liked to keep Lane. I can't believe he went to parra. Bad idea.
But for his first few seasons he was a laughing stock on here and ridiculed pretty well every week. Too Lazy, too soft etc etc etc. Had a good year last year sure but not a huge loss.

But for his first few seasons he was a laughing stock on here and ridiculed pretty well every week. Too Lazy, too soft etc etc etc. Had a good year last year sure but not a huge loss.
I dont know the details but he fell out with Des at the Dogs . He did come out of his skin playing some good footy towards the end of last season but he has been inconsistent at his time at the Dogs the Warriors and with us . We have some promising forwards to compensate . Not a big loss I agree .

Out of all the players that have departed at the end of last season I feel that Lewis Brown will be a huge loss and even at the end of his career he has a plenty to offer .
Trent did not use him much last season and I believe this had an huge affect on our team . Our team looked lost with out Lewis Brown and lacked drive and direction without him . I am perplexed why Des did not retain him for a another three years . He could have been our next Ben Kennedy.

photo of Lewis Brown . Always in the thick of things .Can Brown be replaced ? Time will tell

gettyimages-579859856-1024x1024.jpg

Losing Lane was most likely one of the negative consequences of Greenturd "s salary cap witch hunt and resulting penalty as the negotiations to retain Lane was at the peak of the uncertainty created by the witch hunt . The club definitely wished to retain him but the 300 grand salary cap fine did restrict their bargaining position with him . Don "t think that he should be worth in excess of 300 k [ probably what the Eels have outlayed for him ] but really think that it would have been preferable to have retained him . Was still a little lost on a few occasions just wide off the ruck area last season in defence but would have still been one of the most improved i st grade forwards in the comp in 2018 . Wasn "t he still our leading try scorer in 2018 ? High work rate , good meter gains in most of his matches , good speed of the mark and in the open ,, can only conclude that he is going to be missed and again mainly thanks to Greenturd"s petty and grubby mindset regarding Manly . Hopefully of course guys like Paseka and Tanga can be good substitutes but with Joel Thompson maybe in his last season with Manly , still think that Lane was well worth retaining at an appropriate contract level for future seasons .

What he was isn't important. He improved his game so much this year....to watch him leave now is disapointing to me.

Anywho....he's gone....I hope he's as easy to replace as think.

:Side topic....why do people feel the need to put the boot into players at every opportunity?? I read on here that some forum members can't handle being called a punchie or numbnut...yet some of those precious ones are serial offenders when it comes to name calling and ridiculing players. Numbnuts!

What he was isn't important. He improved his game so much this year....to watch him leave now is disapointing to me.

:Side topic....why do people feel the need to put the boot into players at every opportunity?? I read on here that some forum members can't handle being called a punchie or numbnut...yet some of those precious ones are serial offenders when it comes to name calling and ridiculing players. Numbnuts!

You are correct .. he was becoming a weapon

I hope we can hold onto Suli when he starts killing it this year.

@;)
Suli has so much potential . He is only 20 . A monster of a kid and still growing . He made his debut with the tigers at 18 and made such an impact at such a young age .
Disciplinary issues have held him back . If Des can get in his head then Suli will have a massive year for us !

Last edited:
I'm still expecting an incoming player or 2 in the next week or 4? Surely one of you out there is hearing some talk around town?
No news , no rumours , nothing on any new arrivals out there mate . Des is known to keep his cards close to his chest one would think ?

Lane is a huge loss. Especially when the club haven't bought in a ready replacement. Guess it's Frank Winterstein or another clubs reserve grade backrower as replacement.

That, or a third prop like Perrett on the bench.

He's gone and personally I don't see it as an issue.

The only reason he made such an improvement last year was that almost all his teammates around him were so poor. We should have collected the spoon we were that poor. Thank the Lord for Parra eah.

By the time he was killing it he was almost our only planned attacking weapon.

Sure he showed potential but he was no Beaver and he certainly wasn't our great hope.

I have confidence that 2019 will provide a much greater performance across the team.

Pasenka could be huge this year if he's used correctly.

Side topic....I'm sorry but who are the 'numbnuts' you are referring to?

Last edited:
I actually would have liked to keep Lane. I can't believe he went to parra. Bad idea.

Bad idea sure, but I get the feeling that after what when down last year with the Hastings saga, he just wanted out and signed with the first club who showed an interest with a half decent $$ amount to go with it. Its a shame really because with hindsight he might have stayed had he known that Barrett wouldn't be coach.

Hard to know until we see who gets final two spots in squad.

But don't discount:

- Return of Api / Sirro
- Improvement in AFB / Paseka / Tanginoa
- Elgey and Elliot (under-rated players)
- Suli having a proper off-season
- Young backs who can step up
- a fit roster, proper coach
- more goal kicking options (Hodgko, DCE, Elgey, Funa, Api)

Losses of Lane and Kelly will hurt, but a lot of dead wood has been cleared (Wrights/ Brown/Uate etc)

On balance, I say we have a marginally stronger roster in 2018.

Big concern is outside back depth, but not so different to last year (except for Kelly) and better depth in halves.

Api/Sirro were in our squad last year so do not change the depth.

Its those outside the top 17 and other changes that you need to look at:
3 X wrights have seen a loss of experience but replaced by speed and skill with Garrick, Elliott and Hoppa, an overall positive but mainly as Jono Wright offered nothing.
Lane Vs Waddell big loss at the moment but Waddell certainly could be better than just a reggie
Crocker Vs Elgey big improvement

Its pointless naming a backline when our squad hasnt been finalised. We have 2 positions to fill and im fairly certain that one of them will be an outside back.
We have chez turbo walker if we add another strike outside back we will be fine.
Suli looks fit and people are forgetting he was a 500k superstar signing at dogs only last yr. Fit and firing he could still be a star.
Taufua was coming off an acl last yr and missed a large portion of the pre season, again he is looking fit and could get back to his best running 200m a game and being our best metre eater. Add to that garrick elliott funa and hoppa our backs look strong IF we can jag another quality outside back

Hopefully you are right BUT that is indeed a very very big

IF

Great post, Lanes improvement was due to effort. I mean fair dinkum the bloke is a giant, all he had to do was rip in and get involved....which he did. I think he would of developed more under Dessie, but now we will never know.

hahahahah .... "would have developed more under Dessie"..... wasn't Dessie the one that sacked him from the doggies? .... let's all just make up whatever shiite we like .....

PSS ...this is not a criticism of Dessie ... just a tribute to nonsense ....

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2