Is our depth better or worse than in 2018?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Reserve Grader
Hard to know until we see who gets final two spots in squad.

But don't discount:

- Return of Api / Sirro
- Improvement in AFB / Paseka / Tanginoa
- Elgey and Elliot (under-rated players)
- Suli having a proper off-season
- Young backs who can step up
- a fit roster, proper coach
- more goal kicking options (Hodgko, DCE, Elgey, Funa, Api)

Losses of Lane and Kelly will hurt, but a lot of dead wood has been cleared (Wrights/ Brown/Uate etc)

On balance, I say we have a marginally stronger roster in 2018.

Big concern is outside back depth, but not so different to last year (except for Kelly) and better depth in halves.

Ultimately, (and unlike the Roosters) our depth is dictated by what we can afford under the salary cap. So it should be about the same.
I think the bigger question is; Will our depth players perform and be coached better than they were last year? Most of our fringe game (and 1st grade) players appeared to have NFI what they were doing for most of last year and I suspect this will improve.
But we really need our remaining backs to step up big time, and will need a replacement for Walker if he is rubbed out.

Will totally depend on the extent of long term injuries. If we go through relatively unscathed then we will be a 7 game min better side than last year, any more I'd be really happy. Don't think we will be too short at rep time, I would think most of the Manly haters would have got at the selectors so my opinion is that JT & Turbo look the only real contenders. Think Cheery will be overlooked, yet again. So I think we only need cover for Turbo for few weeks.

If everyone is fully fit then depth will have to be better than last year based purely on available players

The upside of some injuries last year is that some of these depth players got valuable experience - which has to make them better for the run. Fainu, Paseka and Sipley for example

It’s unknown at this stage, but it was clear last year that there was no depth. Practically none of the players in reserve grade were worthy of a call up.

A lot of new young guys is a good thing, so there is potential there for better depth.

Hard to know until we see who gets final two spots in squad.

But don't discount:

- Return of Api / Sirro
- Improvement in AFB / Paseka / Tanginoa
- Elgey and Elliot (under-rated players)
- Suli having a proper off-season
- Young backs who can step up
- a fit roster, proper coach
- more goal kicking options (Hodgko, DCE, Elgey, Funa, Api)

Losses of Lane and Kelly will hurt, but a lot of dead wood has been cleared (Wrights/ Brown/Uate etc)

On balance, I say we have a marginally stronger roster in 2018.

Big concern is outside back depth, but not so different to last year (except for Kelly) and better depth in halves.

I wouldn't say Matt Wright and Uate were dead wood, sure Uate was past his best, but still a good winger, and I doubt it that Matt Wright disappointed many, he was relied upon to fill several backline positions, we got much more value from him than Dylan Walker.

Youth is a tricky juggle - we just need the elite players to lead the way and make it an easier adjustment.
The key is Elgey fitting in well and giving us solidarity at 5/8.
Also need 1-2 rookie players to step up and be of good NRL standard as the season builds.
Need to establish the best available 2,3,4 & 5 early on and grow into a consistent side.
The forwards will no doubt lay a good platform, which will give the young outside backs more time and opportunities....

We are far weaker in the backs this season.
Last year we had high hopes for Tom Wright, who would be a sensation.
Walker and Kelly would be a dynamic combination.
Parker was a local boy made good.
Anderson was the additional pace we needed to compete with the best.
Suli was a bonus addition that had a pulses racing in anticipation of great things to come.
Croker was the answer to losing Green, a tough defender and just in need of a crack at first grade to prove himself.
I could go on but I think I've made my point.
Never did any of this speculation eventuate.
Never did we expect our backline to prove to be the worst in the NRL. And this season, to date, our backline stocks look thinner than in 2018.

We still have 2 spots to fill in the squad so hard to say until we see who fills those spots in the final squad but I'd say we have better depth, especially given the extra experience the players have going in to this year.

I think we are just about the same in depth . No dramatic player loses form 2018

Last edited:
As far as I can see, not better, not worse, but it's still poor - not a lot of experience, not a lot of impact, and if the injuries mount up, we'll struggle. This will be the mark of Des's coaching ability - what can can he get from the extended squad, particularly the younger players? We'll know soon enough.

I think this years version will be somewhere similar to a combo of the 2004 and 2005 versions from a re-build perspective but hopefully more of a 2005 version.

I think it will all come down to attitude. If we cannot make brookvale oval “the fortress” again then forget top 8.

Oh when the Saint , came marching in ,
Oh when the Saint came marching in
we could not win a game at our fortress
Oh when the Saint came marching in

0e46464e18b15cca0b0169ef5c1e9f11.jpg

X Our starting forwards, and it's depth would compete with anyone in the NRL.

X Our bench is solid, apart from our 17th player, who will likely be a reserve grade quality player.

X Our backline is by far the worst in the entire league. Almost an embarrassment, and I'd say the worst in our clubs history. If Walker gets boned, we have Trbojevic and DCE as first graders. Every other player will come from last year's Jersey Flegg or Reserve Grade team. Makes me miss the Northern Eagles backlines.

I think under Des and Donny in particular (compared with Barrett and Ferris) we will notice a massive improvement in how the squad performs. For that reason, better.

The reality of it is we have had one season in the past 5 that has not been severely impacted by injury and we finished 6th. Every other one of those seasons we've had a crippling injury toll.

Will we be lucky this season? Experience and previous outcomes would say no.

X Our backline is by far the worst in the entire league. Almost an embarrassment, and I'd say the worst in our clubs history. If Walker gets boned, we have Trbojevic and DCE as first graders. Every other player will come from last year's Jersey Flegg or Reserve Grade team. Makes me miss the Northern Eagles backlines.
Jorge is an experienced first grade winger, if you hadn't noticed. Also, Moses Suli and Brad Parker were both regular first graders last year (whether or not you think they deserved to be).
Elgey's performance will be crucial. So much potential in attack but Des won't give him much leeway if his defence remains brittle.

As for our depth - we do have better cover for hooker and halves than we did last year (a rather important area).
So much will depend on the likes of Siro, Gosiewski and Tanganoa staying free of injury (fingers crossed!)

X Our starting forwards, and it's depth would compete with anyone in the NRL.

X Our bench is solid, apart from our 17th player, who will likely be a reserve grade quality player.

Jorge is an experienced first grade winger, if you hadn't noticed. Also, Moses Suli and Brad Parker were both regular first graders last year (whether or not you think they deserved to be).
Elgey's performance will be crucial. So much potential in attack but Des won't give him much leeway if his defence remains brittle.

As for our depth - we do have better cover for hooker and halves than we did last year (a rather important area).
So much will depend on the likes of Siro, Gosiewski and Tanganoa staying free of injury (fingers crossed!)

Trent Barrett said a few times actually Suli would have been playing Jersey Flegg if it wasn't for injury.

Also, Brad Parker? That'll do me. He isn't a first grader, and God help us all if he is.

Point stands.

That said, I watched a Manly vs. Brisbane game last night, and the backline was as follows:

01. Brett Stewart
02. Chris Hicks
03. Terry Hill
04. Paul Stephenson
05. Scott Donald
06. Michael Witt
07. Michael Monaghan
08. Daniel Heckenberg
09. Luke Williamson
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Menzies
13. Ben Kennedy

14. Shane Dunley
15. Kylie Luluai
16. Jason King
17. Sam Harris

So I guess I have no right to complain. I turned the game off at half time when we were down 30 something nil.

For the record: Probably as much (if not more talent ) in that backline than we have now. Des was also coach.

@Batty , @Briza , @stoodamire , I implore you to list your full strength 1-7, then list The Roosters, then attempt to explain your ridiculous emojis when comparing the 2!

Don't bull**** about the magician coach, because apparently they have a good one too. As do the Storm and many others.

I would love for you to convince me that the Manly 1-7 backline you list will dominate, and support your feeling about my post!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7