Is it true that . . .

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
. . . officials from Manly signed-off on the home semi-final rule that will rob us of every watching Manly play a home semi? That's what the NRL claims.

Surely we weren't that dumb? Were we?

We didn't really have much of a choice

Not sure that it was "signed off" on rather than "informed" of the changes. Semis ahve always been a NRL event - the gate etc does not goto the sea eagles like normal rounds.

Yeah more like voted against 12-4. Every club would have voted for it except Manly, Balmain, Illawarra and Penrith.

Fonz said:
Yeah more like voted against 12-4. Every club would have voted for it except Manly, Balmain, Illawarra and Penrith.

... and Cronulla.

If we voted against it then I'd like that noted by our administration, because the NRL is spinning it that every club agreed to it.

Why would the Tigpies care? They play home games at the SFS anyway. I'd suggest Parra and Cronulla would be as likely as Manly, Penriff and Illawarra to vote against it.

I can see both sides in this argument. On the one hand, a team has deserved the advantage that goes with the home ground but on the other, playing in smaller venues and denying fans the chance to see the game isn't a good look either. I think the Dragons did a disservice last year by not moving games so it would be hypocritical of me to say we should keep games at Brookie. At the end of the day I want to play the Dragons in week 1 of the finals and give them a shallacking, get a week off and play the Warriors in week 3, beat them easily and play the Storm in the GF and towel them up to 0 ... that sounds familiar.

Am I the only person who remembers this happening before the season had even kicked off? I was well aware that we wouldn't have a final at Brookie anymore and I assumed everyone else knew. Bit now when you mention it you get a reply of "what?!?!? When did this happen?"

And let's face it, it was bound to happen eventually. There's always one club trying to fit 40k into a 20k venue.

I dont think Cronulla were ever asked seeing that they are unlikely to ever reach finals again

Blake said:
Am I the only person who remembers this happening before the season had even kicked off? I was well aware that we wouldn't have a final at Brookie anymore and I assumed everyone else knew. Bit now when you mention it you get a reply of "what?!?!? When did this happen?"

And let's face it, it was bound to happen eventually. There's always one club trying to fit 40k into a 20k venue.

Blake can you stop making sense please? there is no place for reasonable posts on this forum...

Jokes aside you are 100% right, it was well known and long overdue.

Yeah, we knew about it and didn't like it then, but now it is a reality it hurts.
And it needs correcting that this decision is about eliminating smaller grounds.
Canberra and Townsville can't fit in a big crowd.
No, this is about giving one-city teams another advantage over clubs like Manly, Cronulla, Penrith and Illawarra.

... oh, I forget to add The Warriors' home ground holds no more than Brookie.

Townsville and Canberra dont have larger options in their cities, the Sydney clubs do.

But dont let facts get in the way of your rant.

Warriors are in an unusual position this season as they are smack on top of World Cup rugby which will take all of the bigger options off the table for them.

The whole gist of the thread was how could Manly "sign off" on this? If we did then I question the intelligence of those in charge.

We go one way & we have people whining that they can't watch the game at Brookvale.

We go the other & people will whine about the club locking out fans & leaving money on the table.

It's not really all that terrible that we have to go into the CBD to watch them play, it really isn't that far at all. The only team that can really claim a homefield advantage for playing at the SFS is the Roosters, & they don't have enough fans to actually make an impact. Maybe the Rabbitohs could have some claim to that as well, but c'mon, it's the Rabbits FFS.

I have been going to Brookie for almost 50 years and never been locked out. True fans will find a way to get in.

I don't mind going to the SFS, but it should be in the second/third week of the finals.

As it is, Manly is the only team in the top four who won't get the home ground advantage they so thoroughly deserve. Our officials should have voted AGAINST the proposal, even if it was doomed to be passed. That's what I'm saying.

Home ground advantage is one thing. More important is that Rugby League still lags the AFL in terms of a sensible final series system. We lagged them into the current system and we're lagging behind them into the better system the AFL adopted. Head in the sands management led by Gallop. Bring on the IC.

One loss in the next two weeks and we could finish third. Then lose the first game 3 v 6 by one point and we could be out! Ridiculous! That could never happen in the AFL finals system.

Fro said:
Blake said:

Blake can you stop making sense please? there is no place for reasonable posts on this forum...

Jokes aside you are 100% right, it was well known and long overdue.

When was the last time Brooky turned away punters because it was full.
I cant ever remember it.

Wiki says capacity is 23K

Im talking more aboutthe dragons home games the past 2 years that the NRL have begged to move to a bigger venue.

If manly vs tigers or dragons is in the first week, Brookie wouldn't be able to support the demand. Sad, but true.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6