Is Grant Mayer maybe smarter than we think ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Merc

With Money Bill gone league is now in a wierd place. Instead of being a hunter that it has been for 80 years it is now the hunted.

A couple of weeks ago i saw a piece of interesting news that Manly would play a trial with Manly Marlins. Is this the first step toward Manly moving into a Rugby club merger?

When you think about all the money that is coming from Rugby Union in Europe you would have to be stupid not to look at the option to keep the club alive. If i was Max or Sean i would like my CEO to be looking around and exploring options.

As someone quite rightly pointed out if this blows up half as quick as super league did we could see 20 guys signed to Europe by the end of the year.

If i was John Oneill i would start a winter national rugby competition as well.

I like both forms of the game but i would like to see Manly Warringah Sea Eagles around in some form.

Merc

A hybrid game will only work in lower grades. I can't see it ever evolving to one sport from grass roots right up to international....Rugby would be mad to do it. They've got RL dominated throughout the world.

You also cant compare what is happening now with Superleague. Superleauge was the same game in the same country. The transition was simple.

A lot different to packing up your family and moving to France to play a completely different code.

clontaago link said:
You also cant compare what is happening now with Superleague. Superleauge was the same game in the same country. The transition was simple.

A lot different to packing up your family and moving to France to play a completely different code.

Yeah but money is a huge motivating factor for players obviously and thats the only reason people moved to super league. I don't think it was because they shared a "vision" of the NRL.

DVS Matt link said:
A hybrid game will only work in lower grades. I can't see it ever evolving to one sport from grass roots right up to international....Rugby would be mad to do it. They've got RL dominated throughout the world.

I don't see a hybrid game either. The league product will be much weaker if all the stars keep getting poached. Kids growing up will play rugby cause that's were the stars are.

And another attraction for players going to France is the fact that they are getting more money for less work. Sonny's choice was simple : 1- Keep playing rugby league, which takes a great toll on his body, and be forced out of the game in a few years because his body is spent or  2- Go to France for 3 times the money, play in the centres and make 2 tackles a game. Ummmm, I know what I would do!

What did Craig Gower say in a newspaper this morning? He said he was having a great time and that he had made about half a dozen tackles all season!!

Listening to the BSB this morning they had a frog rugby writer on - he said the money being offered to SBW is basically double what the best french test players on - reading between the lines I doubt this type of money is sustainable over the ong term.

I don't know how they manage to pay them such big sums. They don't get the crowds, they don't have huge sponsorship and basically there isn't the base in the game to afford such big sums over the years.

League's problem in Australia is two fold: mums are being turned off the game due to bad publicity etc and the increasing dominance of islanders who are more developed at younger ages is driving kids away. Easy to play soccer and aussie rules where taller and less developed kids and can better. Rugby also allows kids of different builds to have a go.

The clubs are owned by multi's who plough their money into the teams

I still believe our biggest threat is AFL. It has no other countries to compete with as far as player retention in concerned and as CW stated above, its more appealing to mums.

Collingwood broke the 1 million mark for crowd attendances this year over the weekend. This is the 12th successive season they have done so. 

If it eventually takes off in NSW (which I think it will) god help us.

Canteen Worker link said:
Easy to play soccer

I resent that, and less developed? A properly coached soccer team and player will be leaner, they worked on my metabolism as a kid and I therefore have a slender, Soccer players build.

Just because it doesn't require the same amount of mass doesn't mean it is easy to play.

In fact to play football well you need a lot of skills and brains!

Come on Dan - loook at the context - easier for mums etc to get their kids to play soccer, especially where Polynesians are involved. I played both games at Rep level up to my twenties so I know what I am talking about.

I was not getting into the silly circular debate - both sports need a lot of skills, learning, toughness etc

Does anyone else worship your slender soccer players body that THEY worked on your metabolism?

Canteen Worker link said:
Come on Dan - loook at the context - easier for mums etc to get their kids to play soccer, especially where Polynesians are involved. I played both games at Rep level up to my twenties so I know what I am talking about.

I was not getting into the silly circular debate - both sports need a lot of skills, learning, toughness etc

Does anyone else worship your slender soccer players body that THEY worked on your metabolism?

Previously you told us you only started playing soccer in over 35's...hhmmmmm

Even in contxt plane as day you still put that out there as you have in the past. Different skill sets sure, but neither requires more skill than the other, one just requires more body mass whereas the other requires a lighter, quicker frame.

Dan link said:
[quote author=Canteen Worker link=topic=177992.msg191349#msg191349 date=1217216531]

Previously you told us you only started playing soccer in over 35's...hhmmmmm

Even in contxt plane as day you still put that out there as you have in the past. Different skill sets sure, but neither requires more skill than the other, one just requires more body mass whereas the other requires a lighter, quicker frame.
[/quote]

Canteen also tried out for the leading role in the movie "The Talented Mr Ripley", but the director thought he was full of ****.  ;D

I think he means easier in terms of it being less physical, despite the odd hip and shoulder in a contest for the ball, it is essentially a non-contact sport. I know plenty of mums who aren't comfortable with their kids playing RL for fear of injury.

Chip & Chase link said:
I think he means easier in terms of it being less physical, despite the odd hip and shoulder in a contest for the ball, it is essentially a non-contact sport. I know plenty of mums who aren't comfortable with their kids playing RL for fear of injury.

Are you serious mate? Check out the A-League. As rough as guts. Busted legs, busted ankles. Totally different injuries.

League is more about Knees (ligaments), shoulders and the likes.

I'd say Soccer has more general breaks - but that's just an UNeducated guess  :p

Yes they probably have a few more lower leg injuries, but that is a product of unfortunate timing in terms of tackles or contact with the ball/oppositions legs.

When was the last time you saw a soccer player with a popped shoulder, a  concussion, a busted sternum, a totally destroyed knee, dislocated finger, broken nose, missing teeth, split melon, cracked ribs.....the list goes on. Sure there are injuries in soccer but it isn't generally as a result of pure deliberate physical contact as in RL.

I'm not anti soccer, it's just a long bow to draw if you are going to try and convince me that it is as physical a sport as league or union. If it was they wouldn't all be lean, fit highly metabolised athletes as Dan says, now would they.

Chip & Chase link said:
Context says that I am talking about the perceptions of mums.

I played soccer well before over 35s Dan - and still play despite my ageing frame, unlike your sculptured and moulded lean mean attacking machine!!! ::)

Chip & Chase link said:
Yes they probably have a few more lower leg injuries, but that is a product of unfortunate timing in terms of tackles or contact with the ball/oppositions legs.

Not so, often you have a more than 2 players going for the ball at the same time, no one backs down and someone always ends up getting hurt, nothing to do with timing, all to do with knowing someone is coming off second best but not backing down.

Chip & Chase link said:
When was the last time you saw a soccer player with a popped shoulder, a  concussion, a busted sternum, a totally destroyed knee, dislocated finger, broken nose, missing teeth, split melon, cracked ribs.....the list goes on. Sure there are injuries in soccer but it isn't generally as a result of pure deliberate physical contact as in RL.

Popped shoulder, in a trial match this year, a guy on the field next to where we were warming up popped his shoulder and broke a leg when trying to jump up and head a ball out before it went in the nets, he was hit middair, legally and ended up against a post, last week, our goal keeper cracked 2 ribs going for a ball. Busted knees, I have seen plenty in soccer, espoecially because of having to constant turn and pivot and then it just takes one small tap.

- Broken nose, our now coach copped the ball square in the nose from a pretty strong strike, broke his nose, and had a ball imprint on his head for a few days too

- Split Melon, last year against Mosman players went up for a header one copped an elboy on top of the head as he came down, and well there was a hell of a lot of blood.

-Cracked ribs - 2 years ago, I was elbowed in the ribs when I came full in to tackle a guy and cracked 2 ribs

[/quote]

Just because you dont see it happen doesnt mean it doesn't it happens on TV a lot and it happens every day in amatuer league. I have seen some horrible injuries in soccer, teeth gone, ankles snapping like George Rose. The list goes on

Of course it isn't as physical int he same sense, but we had already established that

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2