Is Dave Warwick a better recruitment officer?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
So glad Crusher signed with the dogs because I believe the best thing that happened was that Warwick re-signed with us.

He sure is. He's the one the Dogs really wanted not Crusher. It's all starting to crumble out Belmore way. Lol....

If I remember correctly Crusher was pretty filthy that Warwick didn't come with him. Not hard to see why now. He's clearly just as well connected as Crusher was, and obviously a very good judge of talent.

I think it's pretty fair to say at this point that our gains have amply covered for our losses, and added a fair bit of decent depth to boot.

Yes. Never doubted it either.

Cleal is lazy but with good contacts.

Far too early to judge this

Recruitment isn't all about finding NRL players and throwing them into your system, what Cleals strengths were was finding the kids around 15-16 that would come through the junior grades at Manly and make their way to the top. Such as that U20s side we had that contained Foran, DCE, Buhrer, JWH, Lussick etc that came through together

Problem is Kiwi that being able to keep the top kids is real hard. Jake and Gutherson are going to be commanding big dollars in 2014/2015.

True mate, probably Chee Kam is one. Raiders fans were filthy he left but couldn't match what we offered. I did hear from down here that Manly see him as Choc's swap in the future so that is a huge rating. Pay overs for the kid, get him in the system, work with him and watch him go 2014/2015.

Jake and his gun Flegg fullback brother Tom must be kept. Locals boys will bring local kids into the club as fans. Tom seems an absolute natural watching him in juniors. Gutherson gets all the wraps but Tom is one who is coming through that will be a standout (Groomy!!, no!!)He is so tall and athletic. His strides just seem to glide past defenders. A lot of pure talent that can't be coached.

I was told by some inside that Warwick did ALL the work, and that's the reason he wanted to leave, no recognition as such with Cleal getting the glory. Which is exactly why he returned straight away he knew it would be same old same old.

Warwick is far superior these days, we just got lucky!!!!

I am pretty sure that crusher recruited DCE and definately killer would not be here if it wasn't for him. Give him credit for the team that we now have

Killer def but I don't think DCE.

Cleal was great for us in the early days but I don't think he did much in the 2008-2011 period.

By the way Noel and I are good mates from the early years where we lived in close proximity, so I am not bagging him out totally just that Warwick did most of the work in the last 3 years

Will we be still saying this in 4 years if no juniors are coming through the ranks? Not saying that's gonna happen just asking the question. As KE said way to early to judge whose come out better in regards to who has the better recruitment officer as these positions you don't see alot of results for a few years after they start their positions. But I must say he's certainly started in the job very well over the last 18 months

Agree with that Ashfield but he's certainly kicked some goals in 2013, And don't forget the young gun Chee Kam is still to come!!

I think we are ok there Bazza.

I think another question is who is being groomed as Tooves long-term replacement? I think he is eventually destined to run the Club. We were very lucky to have him ready to step in, when Hasler left.

Will it be Luke Williamson? Or someone else - i.e. Cliffy? Remembering that Manly has invariably achieved more on-field with an ex-Manly player at the helm. 8 premiership-winning teams coached by just 4 Manly greats and 10 other GF appearances, under the auspices of some of the above, as well as Wally O'Connell, George Hunter and Ray Ritchie. Manly men all. Maybe only Souths can match that record.

Perhaps that person is still playing?

How is Cleal going over at the doggies? Who has he "uncovered" for them just a few guys who were already in their lower grades already. They have signed Inu and Tony W. but how much of that would have been Cleals doing?
I just haven't seen any stars come through for them in his time there. Not a bad investment by the dogs- wasn't he to get 200k at the dogs.

I seem to remember an article at the time where Greenturd was supposed to be "spewing" that they lost Warwick.

I wonder if in fact Greenturd actually didn't want Noel but only took him because he came with Ha$ler as part of a "package"???

Conjecture at best (wish I knew), but if that's the case you can bet Toddy may not exactly be a happy boy right now!!

Mark from Brisbane said:
I seem to remember an article at the time where Greenturd was supposed to be "spewing" that they lost Warwick.

I wonder if in fact Greenturd actually didn't want Noel but only took him because he came with Ha$ler as part of a "package"???

Conjecture at best (wish I knew), but if that's the case you can bet Toddy may not exactly be a happy boy right now!!

Everything you say is correct. Des was even more angry than Todd about this. Greenberg made an announcement on 31/10/12 about welcoming Dave Warwick to the Bulldogs.

They can buy who they like but they will never buy the Manly spirit . Its the nature of the Sea eagle beast

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6