Ironman winger's amazing 139-game run comes to an end

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rusty

Bencher
IRONMAN winger Michael Robertson is stunned that he will miss Friday’s clash with the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium after his amazing run of 139 consecutive NRL games for the Sea Eagles.

Michael Robertson's amazing sequence of games with
Manly has come to an end. Photo: Michael Ross.

It will be the first game he will have missed since making his first-grade debut for the club in round two against the Cowboys in Townsville back in 2006.
What makes his effort even more remarkable is the fact that he has never been replaced in any of those games, meaning he chalked an unbroken 11,120 minutes on the Sea Eagles left wing.
But an infected knee he picked up in the Sea Eagles last game against the Titans has finally put Robertson on the sideline.
“I’m as shocked as anyone,” Robertson said.

“I remember some discomfort during the game but I didn’t think it was too serious.”
Teammates did a double take when Robertson arrived at Monday’s training session finding it difficult to walk with his knee strapped.
“It’s a massive loss, everyone knows how safe Robbo is, he rarely makes mistakes and he is like a rock out on that left edge,” said Manly forward Glenn Stewart.
Coach Des Hasler said Robertson would have to miss one week.
“It’s not a bad injury ... so a bit of time, a bit of rest and he will be fine,” Hasler said.
His spot will be taken by “The Wolfman”, David Williams.
“We are fairly fortunate we are pretty sure Snake (Brett Stewart) will be able to play this week provided he gets through what he needs to get through this week,” Hasler said.
He said the Sea Eagles would go into Friday’s game as definite underdogs.
“Let me tell you a little bit about this Brisbane side - people think we are guilty of flying under the radar,” Hasler said.
“I think Brisbane have been the most impressive side, probably along with the Dragons, this year.
“They are playing some really good quality football, their younger players have matured and their defensive record speaks for itself.”
Asked if Wednesday night’s Origin game would have an effect on the Broncos with so many of their players having to back up Hasler replied: “If we think it is going to have an impact an them then it is working for them, isn’t it.
“We are preparing for Brisbane at full tilt.”

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/ironman-wingers-amazing-139-game-run-comes-to-an-end/

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8