Importance Of World Club Challenge v Leeds

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Aetna

Reserve Grader
The World Club Challenge match against the Leeds Rhinos will be very important for the future of this current Manly team. A short tour or trip like this can bring the team closer. If they become World Rugby League Champions & camp is a happy one, players might want to stay on the Nortern beaches.

This WCC is possibly the most important game from Manly for a long time. A loss would set loose a chain reaction of negativity through the press here, but You can just imagine the headlines in the Smellagraph and other rags here.

A win on the other hand would catapult Manly head on into season 2012 full of confidence under new coach Tooves.

It would give the team and fans the opportunity to celebrate another milestone victory, something that was short lived after the GF.

I think Manly will win and put us in a great position to go back to back.

I agree with the above, but have seen teams have WCC hangover in the first few rounds after coming back.

With us in 2009 it's hard to judge if we had a WCC hangover due to everything else that went on at the time.

Agree ME. No injuries is the biggest factor for me. The result does not worry me as much as player health and seeing how they perform for 2V.

Much different circumstance this time than in both 09 and 11, think outside the square for this one. I never said winning was a must or that it would win us the competition, it would just provide a huge psycholgical boost to the team and coach to go into the season.

That is very true Earnie, but i wouldn't want to start the season with busted nrl players. I don't think 2V would either. Win, lose or draw, meh! Just no injuries.

mozgrame said:
That is very true Earnie, but i wouldn't want to start the it season with busted nrl players. I don't think 2V would either. Win, lose or draw, meh! Just no injuries.

I agree and to be honest I would rather that it wasnt played.

Toovey is smart enough to know that everything does not hinge on the result of this match.

Pretty sure there was a trial match played in 2008 in which Storm (featuring a number of 'unknowns' such as I Folau) put 50 on us.

I think Toovey will be focussing on 'the process'.

Earnie the Eagle said:
mozgrame said:
That is very true Earnie, but i wouldn't want to start the it season with busted nrl players. I don't think 2V would either. Win, lose or draw, meh! Just no injuries.

I can tell u the players are looking forward to it as a sort of celebration they didn't get to have SO it needs to be played if for no other reason

Mark from Brisbane said:
Earnie the Eagle said:
mozgrame said:

I can tell u the players are looking forward to it as a sort of celebration they didn't get to have SO it needs to be played if for no other reason
I said something similar in my first post on this thread about players and fans celebrating this, and hey Mark don't get me wrong, I am just not a fan of the whole WCC concept as it is played now. I wish the boys well and hope they all get through injury free.

Im all for it,its a game that brings money to the club and a certain prestige along with it,for when we lose AAA Radiators contract we can quickly sign another due to extra prestige the club has

Also this game vs leeds is all im looking forward to,i personally cannot wait for it to happen

The Eagle said:
Im all for it,its a game that brings money to the club and a certain prestige along with it,for when we lose AAA Radiators contract we can quickly sign another due to extra prestige the club has

Also this game vs leeds is all im looking forward to,i personally cannot wait for it to happen

I agree. I can't wait for this game. Someone mentioned speaking to the club of maybe doing a breakfast, which i thought was a great idea. Any news on this idea? Would others be keen?

Earnie the Eagle said:
Much different circumstance this time than in both 09 and 11, think outside the square for this one. I never said winning was a must or that it would win us the competition, it would just provide a huge psycholgical boost to the team and coach to go into the season.

This is not a team which is lacking in self belief. The key to 2012 is straight up desire. If the players really want to go back to back they will be busting their guts the next 3 months. If they feel a sense of achievement and don't realise they have to work harder to defend a title than win one, then they will fall in the same trap that every Premiership winning side has done for nearly 20 years.

We were the first Oz team to win in many years in 2009. I love watching the replay. To me this is a very important game. Sure we don't want injuries but it is a serious test of player commitment backing a new coach. We do need to do really well in this one leading into 2012. We can have a slow start to the NRL season and finish well but deep down we know that this will stamp our mark. Plus I really want the GF/WCC poster to go with the other one :)

A strong bond between the players & coach 2V could be built, similar to what they had with Des Hasler if things go well & Manly are crowned World Champions Rugby League team. We need to extend the contracts of D.C.Evans, K.Foran & the Stewart brothers before anything.

This one is going to be harder to win though. Leeds will be 3 games into a season meanwhile we would have only had played a trial against the sharks and that's it, hardly a great build up to it.

While not worried about fitness of the players it's match fitness I'm worried about.

While some on here see this as only a trial I'd bet the players and club don't.
Winning this is worth a pretty penny as well and would help finical

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6