If you believe in omens then you'll love this

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
You must start to read past threads :idea:

The Media Trolls plagerised this directly from an old Silvertails thread :cool:
http://www.silvertails.net/forum/Thread-Bennett-back-at-the-Broncos?page=4

This is our year, Sea Eagles to win
Its been won by the Roosters , the Scummy Storm we dont deny
But this is our year so join in our pride

I am just wondering how much of a joyous meltdown happens here, when we win the comp?

Having not been a member back then (and seeing the traffic at different times here) I imagine the celebrations are both hectic and funny...?

2008's 40-0 would've been awesome here I imagine.

RiverEagle said:
I am just wondering how much of a joyous meltdown happens here, when we win the comp?

Having not been a member back then (and seeing the traffic at different times here) I imagine the celebrations are both hectic and funny...?

Nobody posts unless we lose.

Just kidding. Or am I?

MadMarcus said:
RiverEagle said:

Nobody posts unless we lose.

Just kidding. Or am I?

That, or if someone is sorting out a contract...or someone "says" they're sorting out a contract.

• 👍
Reactions: Dan
RiverEagle said:

Just about everyone was at the game or watching it in 2008 and celebrating too much to spend much time on Silvertails, but the following day things were pretty exciting and very busy. In fact some of our busiest days.

We usually see a major spike in site activity from mid-september

Thanks guys there.

I think the adoption of smartphones, even just in the past three years (since our last GF win), sees us posting a bit more during games now.

As well as more members posting that aren't able to get to games.

Certainly will be fun (IF we can claim it again this year) to see and share the joy.

Even if that's drunk (or PUI's) in the days and nights that follow!

Manly will win the NRL premiership this season

Brin Paulsen Roar Rookie, 28 Jul 2014 Brin Paulsen is a Roar Rookie

Every year Wayne Bennett has left a club, Manly have gone on to win the NRL premiership: 1987 (Bennett leaves the Raiders), 2008 (Broncos) and 2011 (Dragons). It’s a statistical fact: Bennett leaves a club, Manly win the premiership.

At first I didn’t believe it. I checked Wikipedia to see if the dates were wrong. They weren’t. I checked the ladder to see if Manly couldn’t win this year. They’re top of the table.

I checked recent news articles to see if there was anything happening that could possibly stop Manly. A glimmer of hope. Internal strife. Players not happy. Daly Cherry-Evans unsigned.

But something didn’t seem right. All this recent unrest seemed a little too convenient for a team that had made nine consecutive finals appearances. I had questions.

Why had news of Steve Matai’s potential departure only come out since Wayne announced he was going back to Brisbane? Why were we talking about DCE’s contract midway through the season? Is Kieran Foran able to formulate his own opinions?

I pored over reports and club records, through media statements and team photos. Then I made a breakthrough. He’d been there all along, staring back at me with that cheeky grin and those twinkling blue eyes: Geoff Toovey, A.K.A The man who made a deal with the devil to deliver Manly-Warringah grand final glory whenever Bennett leaves someone else’s town.

It was so obvious. How could I have been blind to this truth for so long?

Prior to making his first-grade debut in 1998, it’s a little-known fact that during the 1987 season – the year the Bennett/Manly black magic pact was entered into – Toovey was the personal chauffeur, speechwriter and accountant for then Sea Eagles coach Bob Fulton.

In 2008 he performed the same duties for then head coach Des Hasler, also adding hair stylist, dog walker and assistant coach to his CV.

In 2011 he practically played halfback for the Silvertails again, spending three quarters of the season running water while organising the Manly forward pack.

And that brings us up to date. 2014. A week after Bennett announced his departure from the Newcastle Knights and two months away from the grand final, Geoff Toovey sits in the head coach’s chair at Manly, like Sauron in Mount Doom, biding his time.

I don’t know what young Geoff Toovey had to give up in his bargain with Satan. If I had to guess it seems like his golden, flowing locks were at least part of the agreement, possibly his mind, and almost certainly the ability to control his temper.

As for the smoke and mirror act that Toovey has put on recently to try and distract from Manly’s inevitable grand final victory, it won’t work. Players angry at the club, Matai going to the Warriors, Foran having an original thought. I just don’t buy it.

Do you really think Kieran Foran even knew what he was saying when he was talking about Matai? Look a little closer and you can see it was clearly Toovey pulling the strings. The following are excerpts from Foran’s statement:

“I guess there are issues to be sorted,” Foran said. You know who else has wanted to sort out issues in the past? Geoff Toovey.

“It is just about the boys getting on with things and having the best year we can possibly have,” Foran said. You know who else wanted Manly to have a good year? You guessed it, Toovey.

“I think so,” Foran said. Kieran Foran thought something? Impossible! There is no way that this occurred. This is clear evidence that the puppet master Toovey was behind all of this.

“Bye.” Ha, nice attempt to throw us off the scent Geoff!

The jig is up! You can stop with all the off-field shenanigans now Tooves. Your secret is out and Pommy Dave may as well start engraving the Provan and Summons with ‘Silvertails’ today.

I’m not a sports scientist or even a particularly good pundit, but given the evidence on the table, the theory I’ve come up with could withstand very, very light investigation before it falls apart. I’ve given you the evidence, you be the judge.

Also, I am aware that Manly somehow managed to pull a rabbit out of the hat without the Bennett black magic in 1996. However, it’s pretty obvious to me that every other club was just distracted by the upcoming formation of Super League.

You think somehow Manly won the comp all those times by being the best team? Ridiculous…

Tooves made his 1st grade debut in 1988 obviously (not the 1998 typo there).

And that's yet another backhanded compliment too.

Whilst the Bennett theory is interesting, a whole lot more has to happen than just that. And just about every premiers could find quirky stats to prop up their destiny.

It's the nature of sport.

I wholeheartedly agree on Tooves influence and genius in all our success.

But I also hope everyone (esp the haters and critics) see that we are simply the best "team" should we go one better and win the damn thing again this year!

RiverEagle said:
Thanks guys there.

I think the adoption of smartphones, even just in the past three years (since our last GF win), sees us posting a bit more during games now.

As well as more members posting that aren't able to get to games.

Certainly will be fun (IF we can claim it again this year) to see and share the joy.

Even if that's drunk (or PUI's) in the days and nights that follow!

Precisely. iPhone 3g was still new to the market in 2008 or at least had been around for around a year.

We had a somewhat mobile compatible site back then but not so much around the forums and the experience wasn't great, not to mention the limited data plans.

Mobile usage accounts for about 50% of the site activity these days, in fact its an almost perfect split with slightly more desktop usage.

lismore_fan said:
Manly will win the NRL premiership this season

Brin Paulsen Roar Rookie, 28 Jul 2014 Brin Paulsen is a Roar Rookie

Every year Wayne Bennett has left a club, Manly have gone on to win the NRL premiership: 1987 (Bennett leaves the Raiders), 2008 (Broncos) and 2011 (Dragons). It’s a statistical fact: Bennett leaves a club, Manly win the premiership.

At first I didn’t believe it. I checked Wikipedia to see if the dates were wrong. They weren’t. I checked the ladder to see if Manly couldn’t win this year. They’re top of the table.

I checked recent news articles to see if there was anything happening that could possibly stop Manly. A glimmer of hope. Internal strife. Players not happy. Daly Cherry-Evans unsigned.

But something didn’t seem right. All this recent unrest seemed a little too convenient for a team that had made nine consecutive finals appearances. I had questions.

Why had news of Steve Matai’s potential departure only come out since Wayne announced he was going back to Brisbane? Why were we talking about DCE’s contract midway through the season? Is Kieran Foran able to formulate his own opinions?

I pored over reports and club records, through media statements and team photos. Then I made a breakthrough. He’d been there all along, staring back at me with that cheeky grin and those twinkling blue eyes: Geoff Toovey, A.K.A The man who made a deal with the devil to deliver Manly-Warringah grand final glory whenever Bennett leaves someone else’s town.

It was so obvious. How could I have been blind to this truth for so long?

Prior to making his first-grade debut in 1998, it’s a little-known fact that during the 1987 season – the year the Bennett/Manly black magic pact was entered into – Toovey was the personal chauffeur, speechwriter and accountant for then Sea Eagles coach Bob Fulton.

In 2008 he performed the same duties for then head coach Des Hasler, also adding hair stylist, dog walker and assistant coach to his CV.

In 2011 he practically played halfback for the Silvertails again, spending three quarters of the season running water while organising the Manly forward pack.

And that brings us up to date. 2014. A week after Bennett announced his departure from the Newcastle Knights and two months away from the grand final, Geoff Toovey sits in the head coach’s chair at Manly, like Sauron in Mount Doom, biding his time.

I don’t know what young Geoff Toovey had to give up in his bargain with Satan. If I had to guess it seems like his golden, flowing locks were at least part of the agreement, possibly his mind, and almost certainly the ability to control his temper.

As for the smoke and mirror act that Toovey has put on recently to try and distract from Manly’s inevitable grand final victory, it won’t work. Players angry at the club, Matai going to the Warriors, Foran having an original thought. I just don’t buy it.

Do you really think Kieran Foran even knew what he was saying when he was talking about Matai? Look a little closer and you can see it was clearly Toovey pulling the strings. The following are excerpts from Foran’s statement:

“I guess there are issues to be sorted,” Foran said. You know who else has wanted to sort out issues in the past? Geoff Toovey.

“It is just about the boys getting on with things and having the best year we can possibly have,” Foran said. You know who else wanted Manly to have a good year? You guessed it, Toovey.

“I think so,” Foran said. Kieran Foran thought something? Impossible! There is no way that this occurred. This is clear evidence that the puppet master Toovey was behind all of this.

“Bye.” Ha, nice attempt to throw us off the scent Geoff!

The jig is up! You can stop with all the off-field shenanigans now Tooves. Your secret is out and Pommy Dave may as well start engraving the Provan and Summons with ‘Silvertails’ today.

I’m not a sports scientist or even a particularly good pundit, but given the evidence on the table, the theory I’ve come up with could withstand very, very light investigation before it falls apart. I’ve given you the evidence, you be the judge.

Also, I am aware that Manly somehow managed to pull a rabbit out of the hat without the Bennett black magic in 1996. However, it’s pretty obvious to me that every other club was just distracted by the upcoming formation of Super League.

You think somehow Manly won the comp all those times by being the best team? Ridiculous…

Well, it looks like Brin Paulsen reads Silvertails as that subject regarding every year that Wayne Bennett has left a club, Manly have gone on to win the NRL premiership was brought up several days ago by someone here in our Rugby League forum. :dodgy:

Jethro said:
Well, it looks like Brin Paulsen reads Silvertails as that subject regarding every year that Wayne Bennett has left a club, Manly have gone on to win the NRL premiership was brought up several days ago by someone here in our Rugby League forum. :dodgy:

I agree, a little credit wouldn't go astray when you are plagiarising silvertails!

You can comment on the roar right? Someone should post that....then cue false indignation!

Roar is fan driven and written articles

Jethro said:

That wasn't the reason I submitted the article.
I read the quip regarding Wayne Bennett here, first on Silvertails.

The part that I liked was about Tooves.

But anyway, any good article about Manly is a good article!

I wonder if the NRL will appoint a good and fair referee this year?

I am not saying Shayne "The Rooster" Hayne was not fair but he seemed to only referee one side in last year's grand final - Manly.

Put it this way, I think that Shayne could have received 'player's player' award by the Roosters last year.

So NRL it is up to you - do you want another fiasco or do you want a fair game where the best team wins?

Or to put it another way are you professional or just a lot of well-meaning amateurs?

From past experience it could be argued by some that you are not professional but I suppose time will tell. :huh:

I dunno, every other team forums that I've read seems to think we've been the ones getting bang for our buck with the refs this year (seems to be their way of rationalising how this Manly team is still so damn good so they don't have to admit theirs is crapola).

HappilyManly said:
You must start to read past threads :idea:

The Media Trolls plagerised this directly from an old Silvertails thread :cool:
http://www.silvertails.net/forum/Thread-Bennett-back-at-the-Broncos?page=4

Sorry but a thread titled "Bennett back at the Broncos" did not interest me in the slightest. If it had read "Every time Bennett leaves the Broncos Manly win the title" now that would be different.;)

The price of this of course is that I miss out on these little gems from time to time.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2