How many players to win a comp?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
A question I ask myself is how many players do we currently have that would not look out of place in a premiership team. (Leaving Snake, Matai and Lyon out.)

The following I believe would be good enough.

Tom T.
Jake T.
Walker.
Kapow.
Parcell.
Myles. (before you scream, he does the job in SOO)
Jorge.
DCE.
Buhrer.

Possibles/Probables

AFB
Knight.
Vave.

That makes 12 players, to win a comp we would then need to add 5 premiership capable recruits. Say 2 forwards, a 5/8 and 2 backs.

Doable within 2 years.

You need at least 20 top liners and hope you don't have more than 3 of them injured at the wrong time.

You need at least 20 top liners and hope you don't have more than 3 of them injured at the wrong time.

Point taken, but I have left out Api, Brown, and the Lawrence/Starling classof player. I think you you only need 14/15 top liners and 5 or so good FG'ers.

Going to be an interesting recruitment drive this year, if the club is serious about contending next year we are going to be recruiting some backs. IMO we need a 5/8, centre, winger and one more good forward to compete so we are way off.

A question I ask myself is how many players do we currently have that would not look out of place in a premiership team. (Leaving Snake, Matai and Lyon out.)

Tom T.
Jake T.
Walker.
Kapow.
Parcell.
Jorge.
DCE.
Buhrer.

Possibles/Probables

AFB
Knight.
Vave.

That makes 12 players, to win a comp we would then need to add 5 premiership capable recruits. Say 2 forwards, a 5/8 and 2 backs.

Doable within 2 years.

Not taking promoting our young blokes into account, the 2 forwards, a 5/8 and 2 backs I'd pick would be...

Prop - Sam Moa
Prop - Charlie Gubb
5/8 - Blake Green
Wing - Josh Mansour
Centre - Brenko Lee/Javid Bowen

Not sure if these blokes have signed elsewhere or not. Just going by zero tackle - off contract 2016.

We have a great nucleus of a team it just needs to play together on the park for a time, in the correct positions. I firmly believe we have to players to do it.

Just out of interest, how is Omar Slaimankhel going for Wyong? I noticed he was picked for the NSW residents this year. He was hot property a couple of years ago at the Warriors before going to rugby. A winger/fullback...could be a cheap pick up.

I think we're going to need a fullback very soon. Tom T is a centre, all day. There are no stand out fullbacks on the market at the moment.

Point taken, but I have left out Api, Brown, and the Lawrence/Starling classof player. I think you you only need 14/15 top liners and 5 or so good FG'ers.
and I would rate Mark Bryant over all of them, and not because of ability per-se, but consistency!

Tom T.
Jake T.
Walker.
Kapow.
Parcell.
Jorge.
DCE.
Buhrer.

Possibles/Probables

AFB
Knight.
Vave.

Doable within 2 years.
Definitely. The only point of difference would be can we recruit the cowboys conditioners and rehab team as well. We got too many in the panel beaters they got none.

Just out of interest, how is Omar Slaimankhel going for Wyong? I noticed he was picked for the NSW residents this year. He was hot property a couple of years ago at the Warriors before going to rugby. A winger/fullback...could be a cheap pick up.

I think we're going to need a fullback very soon. Tom T is a centre, all day. There are no stand out fullbacks on the market at the moment.
Gday moz, Omar has gone really well at times. Saw a couple of games he played up here for wyong playing 5/8 earlier in the year. But if he can't make the roosters team there must be a problem. On another note Manly could do worse than rip Taylor who coaches wyong. Old school mentor style. Very successful and fair dinkum type of bloke.

Gday moz, Omar has gone really well at times. Saw a couple of games he played up here for wyong playing 5/8 earlier in the year. But if he can't make the roosters team there must be a problem. On another note Manly could do worse than rip Taylor who coaches wyong. Old school mentor style. Very successful and fair dinkum type of bloke.

Cheers Harvey. I wouldn't have thought of him as a 5/8. I was only thinking of him as a fullback or winger. Still, the more strings to his bow the better. Not that were are looking at him or anything, but I would.

As for Taylor, the more old school, fair dinkum blokes around the place the better as far as I'm concerned!

Tommy is kinda like a bigger, stronger version of Dale Shearer (I won't say faster because I think Rowdy just had him covered on that one). He's a fullback who can play just about anywhere in the backline and make it look easy.

Id like to see a list kept where it shows the numbers of playets clubs have used since their last GF win.

Sharks, titans would have their own special column

Tommy is kinda like a bigger, stronger version of Dale Shearer (I won't say faster because I think Rowdy just had him covered on that one). He's a fullback who can play just about anywhere in the backline and make it look easy.

He sure can. I have all the faith in the world with him at fullback...but I think he would be devastating as a permanent centre. He'd nearly guarantee you 6 to 12 points a game. The problem for us is getting a pair of good quality halves to feed the backline. Daly can't do it alone.

If you look at the stats of the halves in the top 4 and compare them to the halves in the bottom 4, the tackle counts are a mile apart. Daly has been doing way too much tackling. The top teams halves get themselves out of the way as much as possible in defence. Daly takes it upon himself a lot of the time. Ferris helps immensely with the defensive workload in the middle, and Daly can ply his trade a little easier.

Another good 5/8, a solid fullback, some big grunt in the engine room, a couple of honest workhorse defenders in the pack and Tommy in the centres would be my ideal team.

We'll get there. The one thing we will most likely always agree upon...we need to secure both Tom and Jake for the rest of their careers. Tom is worth his considerable weight in gold!!

Oh I agree that Tommy would made a great centre, I just think he'd be a better fullback where he can get his hands on the ball more often.

And I 100% agree that DCE is forced to do too much tackling. It seems that every team has this game plan to run their biggest blokes at him all game and just wear him out be doing so much defending.

And yep, the Turbo's need to be on DCE like lifetime contracts, if that's possible and still be competitive under the cap.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8