How Manly brought Des Hasler home

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I saw this on FB - it was in Saturday's Telegraph and is an outstanding behind-the-scenes story on how Des was brought back home.

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but if not, maybe @HappilyManly or someone can please post it here as its very enlightening and definitely worth a read!

It’s behind their paywall need someone more IT skillful than me to lift it

template

NRL

SEA EAGLES
The story of how Manly brought Des Hasler home to Brookvale
David Riccio, Chief Sports Writer, The Sunday Telegraph
August 25, 2019 8:49am

In his spacious first floor office on Walker Street in North Sydney, Scott Penn’s mobile phone buzzed with a voicemail alert.

It was the last day of August, 2018.

“Hello Scott, it’s Des Hasler, can you give me a call when you have a moment, thanks. Bye.’’

Penn, the Manly chairman, had not heard Hasler’s voice in seven years.

And nor had he wanted to.

3bd8a048eb0ac413aabb055e3e19b0d5

Manly are smiling again with Des Hasler in charge. Picture: AAP Image/Martin Hunter
Their relationship was severed the moment Hasler told Manly’s 2011 premiership-winning side at their end-of-season awards night that after seven years with the Sea Eagles, he was leaving for Canterbury.

The resentment from Penn was instant — which is why after seven years without the pair ever speaking, it would take him a month to return Hasler’s voicemail.

“He reached out. And at the time, I thought, ‘You know what, the bridge is burnt,’’ Penn told The Sunday Telegraph.

unmiss-sound-button-muted-e74d67a0c85c3548f07d7564782a269c.svg

“We were involved for seven years together before he moved on (to Canterbury).

“The reality is, we didn’t actually speak for seven years after that, for obvious reasons — we (the Manly hierarchy) weren’t happy with the way it transpired.’’

timeline0_y4iT0PDAI3.jpg

Timeline
Des's Destiny

October 2, 2011
Sea Eagles soar
Manly win their second grand final in three years under Des Hasler, beating the Warriors, 24-10

timeline1_Jx6me1p_Dl.jpg

Timeline
Des's Destiny

October 8, 2011
Bombshell
Hasler drops bombshell to senior officials and players at Manly awards night that he’s signed a four-year deal with Canterbury from 2013 and confirms this to the media the following day.

timeline2_nPMTm7oA6f.jpg

Timeline
Des's Destiny

November 11, 2011
He's out
Manly chairman Scott Penn announces Hasler has been sacked for alleged contract breaches, including claims he was involved in the poaching of staff and enticing them to join the Bulldogs. Geoff Toovey is installed as the new coach.

timeline3_ioCSETRNy5.jpg

Timeline
Des's Destiny

November 14, 2011
Dog days begin
Hasler’s first day at Belmore as Canterbury coach after he successfully negotiated with Bulldogs CEO Todd Greenberg to start his deal one year earlier.

timeline4_k3CqUEVjY0.jpg

Timeline
Des's Destiny

January 24, 2012
Des erased
Bitter fallout continues with Hasler’s photo removed from grand final merchandise, including beer mats, mousepads, coffee mugs and stubby holders.

timeline5_Gpi6i35rju.jpg

Timeline
Des's Destiny

September 4, 2012
Des delivers
In his first season, Hasler leads Bulldogs to their first minor premiership since 1994 and is named Dally M Coach of the Year.

timeline6_sZA2idFQe3.jpg

Timeline
Des's Destiny

September 30, 2012
GF heartache
Canterbury beaten in the 2012 grand final by Melbourne, 14-4, at ANZ Stadium.

timeline7_hL2ylTb6oj.jpg

Timeline
Des's Destiny

October 5, 2014
Dogs stumble again
Without injured captain Michael Ennis, Hasler’s Bulldogs lose another grand final, this time in a historic win to South Sydney, 30-6.

timeline8_2F6RzsgAGv.jpg

Timeline
Des's Destiny

September 19, 2017
Hasler sent packing
After missing the finals for the first time since his arrival and finishing the season 11th, Hasler is sacked from Canterbury despite being contracted until 2019. The parties later reach an out of court settlement.

timeline9_T7cnXYPNUx.jpg

Timeline
Des's Destiny

August 31, 2018
Hasler makes crucial call
Manly coach Trent Barrett quits, aggrieved over the lack of high-performance support. Hasler leaves leaves voicemail message on Manly chairman Scott Penn’s mobile phone.

timeline10_dnVP01bZzS.jpg

Timeline
Des's Destiny

October 22, 2018
Back in the nest
After seven years, Scott Penn and Des Hasler meet for their first face to face conversation and nine days later both front a press conference to announce Hasler has signed a three-year deal with the club.

timeline11_NHvt_3VdcJ.jpg

Timeline
Des's Destiny

August 25, 2019
Des works his magic
Hasler has Manly sitting inside the top four ahead of a Sunday blockbuster with fellow premiership contenders Canberra.

Any attempt to explain the contempt, the mutual ill-will and bad blood between Hasler and the Penn family, which still existed up until just over 12 months ago, will invariably fall short.

The level of disdain was deeply personal, lifelong friendships fractured, emotions and tears spilled over and hearts were broken.

Members of the Penn family happily death-rode Canterbury’s performances for Hasler’s six seasons.

The notion of Hasler ever coaching Manly again wasn’t just laughable. It was viewed as a sick joke.

Yet from that short voicemail message, Manly are once again a club united.

The Sea Eagles 2019 top four finals surge and the likelihood of Hasler being named Dally M coach of the year is one of rugby league’s great comeback stories.

The story of how Manly brought Hasler home, is according to Penn, one of the most defining chapters in the club’s 73-year history.

e00820f650ec257ce3cba55ff6ea7942

Scott Penn has revealed the hurt caused by Hasler’s decision. Picture: Mark Evans/Getty Images
THE SPLIT

Five days after a 2011 grand final victory lap with Manly — his second premiership in three years — after beating the Warriors, those within the room recall seeing a visibly unsettled Hasler sitting in a corner at the club’s end-of-year awards night taking in deep breaths.

He had just told the players and club officials he’d signed a four-year deal with Canterbury, beginning in 2013.

Yet the mushroom cloud from Hasler’s bombshell was about to treble in size.

Hasler’s right-hand men, recruitment guru Noel Cleal and assistant coach Kelly Egan, then declared they were following their boss to Belmore.

“Time heals, of course,’’ Penn, the CEO of Weight Watchers Australasia, told The Sunday Telegraph.

b492c53a8f4009790a09bc0eb89d4471

Hasler’s decision to leave after the 2011 grand final ripped the club apart.
“But the turmoil that was caused at the time, to tell the players at our end-of-year dinner after we’d won the comp, that he’s leaving them was just … a bitter pill to swallow.

“And then to take the majority of his football staff with him, that was then left in mine and Geoff’s (Toovey) lap to rebuild.

“You just can’t underestimate the mammoth task that created.

“It was unnecessary (to leave) with a year to go on his (Hasler) contract (at Manly), apart from, obviously, getting paid a significant amount more.

“It wasn’t like it was at the end of a contract. We had a year to go.

“We were all very close with Des and his wife Christine. We knew his kids from a young age and so it was really emotional.

“This is not just a transaction or a deal, this is deeply personal. This was family.”

1802b7bc6892edb82679f20c07e2478c

It was up to the Manly board to plot a way forward without Hasler.
THE SUCCESSORS

After a seven-hour board meeting on November 11, 2011, Penn emerged to announce that after seven seasons Hasler had been sacked for alleged contract breaches, including claims he was involved in the poaching of staff and enticing them to join the Bulldogs.

Hasler denied this, declaring that not only had he not acted improperly but would take legal advice in relation to what he regarded as the unlawful termination of his contract.

With Hasler’s immediate availability, Canterbury CEO Todd Greenberg fast-tracked Hasler’s arrival at the Bulldogs for 2012, while Geoff Toovey, Hasler’s assistant coach, was appointed head coach at Manly.

8595382eb2068e5e3208c11385d12e69

Even Geoff Toovey couldn’t get the Sea Eagles firing again.
After four seasons, culminating with a ninth-place finish in 2015, Toovey was then sacked for Trent Barrett to take over in 2016.

Barrett lasted 72 games in charge, quitting on August 14, 2018.

“We had a natural successor after Des in Geoff, and we all love Toovs, but from a coaching point of view, it just wasn’t to be,’’ Penn said.

“For Trent to come in, we were giving a young guy a chance and it didn’t work out.

“So then we were really clear that we needed an experienced campaigner and had a look at the market and who was out there. And there weren’t a lot of experienced campaigners out there at the time.

“Michael Maguire was out there, a couple of others, but we were really looking for cultural fit.’’

9e2a89baac736554b25fe5b15ba3a981

Michael Maguire wasn’t the right fit for Manly. Picture: Phil Hillyard
DES-TINY

Manly is very much a family affair, with Penn — the club chairman for the past decade — responsible for enticing his father Rick to buy into the club.

Rick Penn covered $3 million in bills last year alone.

Penn knew how much Hasler’s exit hurt his family, the supporters and the board. But most aggrieved was his mother, Heather, who had watched Hasler take the Bulldogs to the 2012 and 2014 grand finals.

“There was deep disappointment within the family when (Hasler joined Canterbury),’’ Penn said.

“And then there was a healthy dislike for blue and white, too. As there should’ve been.’’

This is the overwhelming reason why Penn waited a month before returning Hasler’s call.

2bec227a348c9806460a9d6023784e07

Manly fans made their feelings about Hasler’s decision clear.
When Hasler called in August last year, he was out of work after the Bulldogs board had decided to sack him the previous September — despite still being contracted until the end of 2019.

Penn had discovered from a close confidant of Hasler’s that his voicemail message was effectively an olive branch from their former coach.

Hasler was acutely aware Barrett had quit and Manly now needed a coach. But in reality, Manly and Hasler needed each other. Egos needed to be put to the side.

“In that month period (after Hasler’s voicemail), we certainly had conversations with the family to say, ‘Hey is this something we want to do?,” Penn said.

“And it wasn’t all roses either, there was some deep feeling within the family.

“It was probably more Heather than Rick because she felt strongly that he’d done the wrong thing.

“So that took a while to talk through.’’

a6e0e8fdd92f9c3a2948de7709fabfdb

Hasler couldn’t replicate his Manly success with the Bulldogs. Picture: Gregg Porteous
THE CALL

The seven-year silence was eventually broken when from his North Sydney office, Penn called Hasler, who was holidaying in Croatia.

While the rugby league media were focused on linking Michael Maguire, John Cartwright, Jason Taylor and Neil Henry with the vacant Manly post, the rebuild of the Sea Eagles’ most famous band had already begun.

The phone call, which would lead to two further meetings over the next fortnight once Hasler arrived back in Sydney, lasted no more than 10 minutes.

“I was very comfortable picking up the phone,’’ Penn said.

“There was no animosity, it was a case of, I think we should have a chat about the job’.

“I wanted to understand where his head space was at, whether he still had the fire in the belly and wanted to prove a point.

“I said to him, ‘Is this something you want to do?’ And he said, ‘Absolutely.’

272d0104e7ae589021206a937631eb90

It was a moment many thought would never happen. Picture: Brett Costello
“It was friendly and cordial and respectful.

“There was a little bit of clearing of the air. I told him that, clearly, I was deeply unhappy with the way it transpired.

“But I said, let’s park that and let’s move on.

“I think it was a defining moment when you know what the club needed.

“Fundamentally, the club stands above everyone. It’s always about what’s in the best interest of the club, not what’s in the best interest of any individual.

“It was then about saying let’s put what happened at the end of 2011 aside and do what is best for the club.’’

Alongside Penn and CEO Lyall Gorman, Hasler was officially unveiled to the press in his maroon and grey Manly polo on October 22, last year.

174f134e079ed85d82f7e2066fc5257a

The Sea Eagles are a happy family once again. Picture: Jason McCawley/Getty Images
EAGLE ROCK

From where he is watching the Sea Eagles on his iPhone app in New York, where he’s on business, Penn will send Hasler a text message after the crucial clash with Canberra.

“It will either be something positive, or let’s refocus on next week,’’ Penn said.

The pair now speak most days and share a simple philosophy.

“We’re delighted with how things are going,” Penn said. “We’re where we were hoping we would be.

“I coudn’t be happier now seeing smiling faces in the change-rooms, because they (players) deserve that. They’re a credit to the club and to Des.

“This has always been about club first. We’re in this to win premierships.

“We’ve put a lot more money into this than what we ever thought we would. But it’s driven by a passionate desire to succeed.

“Des is a proven performer, he’s taken us to three grand finals. We’ve won two and we want more.’’

template
2b2f0f30e89125d75544a02353830cd7
2b2f0f30e89125d75544a02353830cd7

And some want to rubbish the Penn family and call them cheap. Everyone was peeved by the Barrett fiasco, but they put their resentment to one side and did what was necessary for the club. I hope that their association with the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles will long continue.

Why did Dessie quit in 2011 ??

Why did Dessie quit in 2011 ??
Mate, we are privately owned, don’t have a leagues club filling the coffers by fleecing locals of their hard earned via poker machines, and we have the second lowest membership numbers in the league. Not to mention that we get no financial favours from the NRL.

I have ALWAYS maintained that both parties played a part in what happened in 2011. (From what I’ve been told, (could be wrong.) But to call the people who pay the bills out of their own pockets cheap, well it’s just laughable.

No different to the “supporters” who bag out the Fulton’s or claim that Hasler isn’t Manly because they buy a bit of merchandise.

Last edited:
We will never know the full story of what happened back then.
There was talk of unrealistic KPI's and Des being offered stupid money by Greenturd. I think it was around double of what he was on at Manly so you can't really blame him.

I just hope we have a long period of success under Des and if gets a stupid offer again go talk to Penn and say this offer is on the table and I have given you 3 premierships since I returned can you offer me a bit more on my next contract.

I just want it left in the past, no need to drag something up that is getting close to 10 years old.

@Woodsie
He quit the first time when the Penn's start reigning him in ,they wanted to relinquish his power and take some control and do things cheaper.
I believe they did this with Tooves and an even bigger extent with Barrett,they took control and we spiralled to oblivion.
I think they soon realised they know F3ck all about footy and running a club and now have come to their senses and given Hasler back total control.
This is why we are sitting pretty.
Des has the reigns ,Des knows footy ,Des is Manly .
Yes ,Penns are paying the bills ,yeah ,yeah i know ,hear it all the time.
Nevertheless ,Dont forget ,they nearly sunk us .
And the way Tooves was reamed and made a scapegoat is unforgivable .
And then we all had to endure Uncle Zorb being their misleading, agenda driven,corporate whore mouthpiece.
I am stoked more than anyone on how far we are ahead on our perceived timeline,but I call BS Scotty,You needed Des far more than he needed "the family"

They were difficult times , prefer to just leave it in the past where it belongs.
Yes Mark so true. I still get haunted every now and then of the awards night in 2011. It was like a wake. The players were walking around shaking their heads and couldnt believe what they just heard From Des. The only 2 people that were happy that night were Des and Will Hoppa ,who just signed with the squeels, Like you said, best to leave it in the past where it belongs

@Woodsie
He quit the first time when the Penn's start reigning him in ,they wanted to relinquish his power and take some control and do things cheaper.
I believe they did this with Tooves and an even bigger extent with Barrett,they took control and we spiralled to oblivion.
I think they soon realised they know F3ck all about footy and running a club and now have come to their senses and given Hasler back total control.
This is why we are sitting pretty.
Des has the reigns ,Des knows footy ,Des is Manly .
Yes ,Penns are paying the bills ,yeah ,yeah i know ,hear it all the time.
Nevertheless ,Dont forget ,they nearly sunk us .
And the way Tooves was reamed and made a scapegoat is unforgivable .
And then we all had to endure Uncle Zorb being their misleading, agenda driven,corporate whore mouthpiece.
I am stoked more than anyone on how far we are ahead on our perceived timeline,but I call BS Scotty,You needed Des far more than he needed "the family"
The Penns and Zorba both have a premiership to their names, what history making contributions have you made to the club?

You dismiss the fact that “Scotty” foots the bill friend. Are you prepared to stump up the two million plus out of your own pocket to keep the doors open?

We are truly living in the give me something for nothing day and age.

Last edited:
Just a poorly written puff piece that said the same thing over and over.

As Woodsie said, nothing about how they were putting Hasler through the KPI wringer, or any spotlight on how they undermined Toovey from late 2014 onwards.

Not sure what this article achieves without input from Des. I just hope it doesn't upset the apple cart with it's portrayal of Des coming back, cap in hand.

Just a poorly written puff piece that said the same thing over and over.

As Woodsie said, nothing about how they were putting Hasler through the KPI wringer, or any spotlight on how they undermined Toovey from late 2014 onwards.
No problems... I got caught in a moment considering my 1973 premiership ring over a cheap glass of Penfolds and couldn’t help myself.

Sausage roll eaters... what can I say.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7