How being a dad has helped Steve Matai's football

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Sea Eagles centre Steve Matai has revealed how becoming a father has helped mellow him as a footballer and now sees him in career best form.

The tough-as-teak centre opened up as he prepares to play his 200th NRL game the Sea Eagles in tomorrow's final home game of the season against Penrith at Brookvale Oval.

Read More

Sea Eagles centre Steve Matai has revealed how becoming a father has helped mellow him as a footballer and now sees him in career best form.

The tough-as-teak centre opened up as he prepares to pla
SteveMatai-297x2021.jpg
y his 200th NRL game the Sea Eagles in tomorrow's final home game of the season against Penrith at Brookvale Oval.

Asked how he has changed since first arriving at Brookvale Matai replied; "Just a bit wiser I guess, a bit more relaxed on the field.

"I am not as (much) an angry kid as I used to be, it's good:":he said,

And Matai shows no signs of slowing down after 199 first grade games.

"We always challenge each other at training, especially me and Jamie Lyon," he said.

"We try and get on top of each other, I think that helps quite a lot.

"And I think being a dad helps a lot as well, everything gets put into perspective and you don't things too seriously," he said.

Matai has two sons aged four next month and two.

"They are a handful," he laughed.

As for his milestone tomorrow Matai said he was very happy but admitted he didn't he would get there.

"I missed a lot of games through injury and suspension," he said..

‘I'm grateful to my ex-teammates and current teammates that I get to run out on the weekend and play my 200th game."

Adding to the occasion is that the game is also Jason King's final appearance at Brookie as a player.

‘I've played alongside Kingy for the last 10 years and he is just a great clubman and one of my closest mates and I'm definitely going to miss him," Matai said.

"It's a big occasion, we all know that, and we want to send Kingy out the best way we know how and that's with a win at Brookvale Oval." :

Coach Geoff Toovey paid tribute to Matai's achievement.

"He came down as a young man from the Queensland Cup, got an opportunity and has never left,' Toovey said.

"Two hundred games for any player at one club is fantastic and hopefully he will be here for a few more years."

But Matais primary focus is getting back on track in tomorrow's game with the Panthers after their loss to the Eels.

Matai agreed the side has lacked focus in recent weeks.

"I think we just haven't turned up on the day, our attitude hasn't been there and it showed in our performance last Friday and I think if we do that against Penrith we will probably end up with the same result," Matai said.
Jon Geddes
Manly Daily

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/how-being-a-dad-has-helped-sea-eagles-star-steve-matais-football/story-fngr8iii-1227041687334

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4