Horsehead wants to make the game quicker

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Captain Moondog

Absolute Superstar

NRL 2021: Jared Maxwell replaces Bernard Sutton as referees boss, new rule changes​

He has been handed one of the toughest gigs in rugby league, and Jared Maxwell plans to his the ground running - fast.

Fatima Kdouh
December 24, 2020 - 12:35PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Jared Maxwell has been appointed the man responsible for ensuring referees and match officials are ready to implement the NRL’s raft of new rules in season 2021.
On Wednesday afternoon, the NRL announced Maxwell would be the game’s new General Manager of Elite Officiating, taking over from Bernard Sutton after he stepped down from the job after the State of Origin series.
Graham Annesley, Head of Football at the NRL, confirmed Maxwell, who has officiated in 275 NRL Matches, State of Origin and Test Matches, would be charged with overseeing both elite officiating and bunker operations.
“Jared was a leading referee for over a decade, then transitioned into coaching second-tier referees, before being appointed bunker manager last year and becoming a member of the match officials’ appointments committee,’’ he said.
“Jared knows our referees well and the referees know Jared well. He understands the game and its clubs, but importantly has some innovative ideas to enhance the way our match officials prepare for a game.”
Maxwell’s first order of business as the new boss of referees will be to prepare match officials for sweeping rules changes the NRL introduced only two weeks ago.
Season 2021 will see two point field goals awarded for shots taken outside of the 40 meters line and all off-side penalties will be replaced with a ‘six again’ ruling, the same ruling as play-the-ball infringements.
Other rule changes include:
– A play the ball will replace scrums when a ball or player have gone into touch
– A penalty will be awarded to players who break away from the scrum before the referee has called “break”

Teams will retain their Captain’s Challenge where the bunker review is inconclusive.
– Where a Captain’s Challenge review is inconclusive, the on-field decision will stand but the team will retain their challenge
– Where a game is stopped for an injury, the player must be interchanged or taken off the field for a period of two minutes
Maxwell said he would be walking closely with all match officials over the summer to help deliver a product even more entertaining that the season past.
“It’s an honour to be appointed to such an important role. Our match officials did an outstanding job last year adapting to the new rules and I’m looking forward to taking that to the next level in the 2021 season,’’ he said.
“We all want to see fast, entertaining rugby league and I’ll work closely with all officials to ensure the players are given every opportunity to achieve that.”

Rugby League better be careful it doesn't cede the integrity of the sport to television ratings, as has been done with cricket.
There is now this bastardisation of cricket called T-20 which is an embarrassment to traditionalists like me. Whilst they still have Test matches these too have been dumbed down, playing with a pink ball under lights; with boundaries brought in to aid batsmen, and if anyone can tell me a rational reason why they have numbers on the backs of cricket shirts I'll give up my griping.
If RL wants to appeal to the IQ-impaired then it has nine-aside tournaments.
I recently watched some highlights from matches in the 1960's and 70s and they featured great attacking play as well as sterling defence. There must still be an even contest between attack and defence; if RL veers too much towards attack then it will become a T-20 version of the sport where bowlers (read tacklers) have become redundant.

– A penalty will be awarded to players who break away from the scrum before the referee has called “break”
Brilliant, that will just encourage players to break early @:D
Maxwell said he would be walking closely with all match officials over the summer
So much for social distancing.
(and proof reading!!)

Rugby League better be careful it doesn't cede the integrity of the sport to television ratings,
I think we'll be OK

131895396_4052726924857857_4772733596472850926_n.jpg

One of the best games of the last 20 years (result aside) was a game with just 4 points in it. The Manly v Roosters semi final won 4-0.

This insane thinking has to end. Making the game quicker does not correspondingly make it better (more entertaining).

What rugby league severely lacks is a real contest between attack and defence in each tackle. Instead we now have one team's set of six vs the other team's set of six. Its tennis. Its junk.

Every freakin' time a team gets their opposition trapped in the corner and tries to keep them there, by hard hitting defence the referee will penalise them for being inside the 10m. Gift and Choc would always get done for this and now too does Jake.

Just drives me nuts this stuff from NRL HQ.

Rugby League better be careful it doesn't cede the integrity of the sport to television ratings, as has been done with cricket.
There is now this bastardisation of cricket called T-20 which is an embarrassment to traditionalists like me. Whilst they still have Test matches these too have been dumbed down, playing with a pink ball under lights; with boundaries brought in to aid batsmen, and if anyone can tell me a rational reason why they have numbers on the backs of cricket shirts I'll give up my griping.
If RL wants to appeal to the IQ-impaired then it has nine-aside tournaments.
I recently watched some highlights from matches in the 1960's and 70s and they featured great attacking play as well as sterling defence. There must still be an even contest between attack and defence; if RL veers too much towards attack then it will become a T-20 version of the sport where bowlers (read tacklers) have become redundant.
If I could give you five “winners” I would, in fact I will: winner, winner, winner, winner and winner!

Its already reached big bash cricket levels this season just gone.
Team A gets the ball for a number of sets for their 1st innings, then team B has their turn.

Rubbish rules are quickly creating a rubbish game.

I still haven't got past Maxwell in a Monday night game at Brookie vs Gold Coast in 2010. Manly lost 24-22. Near the end of the game Manly forced a drop out. Preston Campbell wanders around near the posts and then suddenly puts in a grubber kick, which he gets possession of just on the 10m line. Maxwell does nothing. Should be a penalty Manly.

A DROP out requires a freakin' DROP KICK to be legal. A grubber kick is not a drop kick because either the ball is kicked before it hits the ground, or the ball never rebounds above the ground. Its physically impossible to make a grubber kick out of the drop kick rules.

DROP-OUT Means a drop kick from the centre of the goal line orfrom the centre of the 20m line when bringing the ball back into play.
DROP KICK is a kick whereby the ball is dropped from the hands (or hand) and is kicked immediately it rebounds from the ground.

Last edited:
I still haven't got past Maxwell in a Monday night game at Brookie vs Gold Coast in 2010. Manly lost 24-22. Near the end of the game Manly forced a drop out. Preston Campbell wanders around near the posts and then suddenly puts in a grubber kick, which he gets possession of just on the 10m line. Maxwell does nothing.

A DROP out requires a freakin' DROP KICK to be legal. A grubber kick is not a drop kick because either the ball is kicked before it hits the ground, or the ball never rebounds above the ground.

DROP-OUT Means a drop kick from the centre of the goal line orfrom the centre of the 20m line when bringing the ball back into play.
DROP KICK is a kick whereby the ball is dropped from the hands (or hand) and is kicked immediately it rebounds from the ground.
Horsehead's the head dropkick now.

One of the best games of the last 20 years (result aside) was a game with just 4 points in it. The Manly v Roosters semi final won 4-0.

This insane thinking has to end. Making the game quicker does not correspondingly make it better (more entertaining).

What rugby league severely lacks is a real contest between attack and defence in each tackle. Instead we now have one team's set of six vs the other team's set of six. Its tennis. Its junk.

Every freakin' time a team gets their opposition trapped in the corner and tries to keep them there, by hard hitting defence the referee will penalise them for being inside the 10m. Gift and Choc would always get done for this and now too does Jake.

Just drives me nuts this stuff from NRL HQ.
Absolutely

The refs struggle to keep up with the game and rules as it is, they will have buckleys chance of keeping up if the game is any faster

as for horsehead, things can only get worse for us with him in charge

- A penalty will be awarded to players who break away from the scrum before the referee has called “break"
?????
Am I reading that wrong?
Shouldn't the penalty be against players who break away from the scrum before the referee has called "break"?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4