Hoppa Vs Snake

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dessy

Reserve Grader
We are certainly not missing anything with stewart being out at the moment, we might actually be gaining more with hopate at the back. With Snake taking up a large proportion of our salary cap, is it time to maybey let him go when his contract expires, or at least cutting his salary down substantially?. I know at his best Stewart is such a great player, but will he ever get back to his best? Only time will tell i suppose, maybey it's time for stewart to step into the number 6 as well with Foran at 13?

I agree snakes continued absence is a concern, however you can't be serious moving foran from 5/8 when he is killing it and gift is great at lock. What next kite for half back?

No Snake and Hoppa both need to be on the field, they both bring different attributes to the side. Its really hard to decide the top 17 with the talent coming though atm.

This is the single most terrifying question that surrounds Manly at the moment. Hoppa is murdering it, and looks every bit the bloke that we've been hearing about for nearly five years. Honestly, at 18 he has the potential to be anything - already has a great feel for the game, will continue to fill out physically... He will be incredible.

But Stewart is Stewart. I know he's been injured for two whole seasons, plus four games this year - but he's the most naturally gifted player we've had since Cliffy. Slight of hand, organising our defence, reading the game, try-scoring ability... Think about what he's done for us. Highlight reel material his entire career. The injury concerns are just that, concerning, but wow I want to see what he offers us if he can stay fit this year.

Bottom line is, don't make me choose.

There is no need to choose!! Hoppa on the wing and snake at fullback. Hoppa will work his way into the centers or fullback in a few years. He can still roam in attack on the wing and even take some of the highballs working with snake and perhaps linking up to setup some 80m tries. :). Thread title should be snake and hoppa to take manly to another premiership. Not hoppa vs snake....

Its not a case of Hoppa V Snake but Hoppa PLUS Snake. We have the most lethal backline in the nrl with these 2. Never to be separated !!!!

At 400 grand and injured it is a problem eating up the cap, if Brett was 200 grand it wouldn't be as much. It's his potential injury future status that is a concern. And Brett helping Hoppa at fullback, very nice but we could employ him at 1/10 of the price. ;):idea:

The 400k and a out for 2 + years bothers me, I'd be nice once he's back that he has to earn the FB position back from the wing first, probabley a good way to ease back into first grade also.

Brett is a genius, one of a kind, however the reality is that he has missed 2 years and struggling in his 3rd. Huge decision in next year with this. Hoppa ain't no Brett! Man United paid 18 million pounds for Owen Hargreaves who has played 15 games in 3 years (and they play 45 games a season) and about 100 grand a week. It has been a nightmare with him and that is our problem. Total legend but we need him to play still.

Lyon_Roars said:
Only time will tell i suppose, maybey it's time for stewart to step into the number 6 as well with Foran at 13?

That solves one problem but creates even more. What do you do with Glen, we're fortunate enough to be blessed with back rowers also at the moment. The young blokes are making the most of their chances and we're still yet to see Lussick yet.

We have alot of depth at the moment, I think towards the end of the season we will benefit from it.

Brett and Hoppa can co-exist.... and as long as he re-signs, they will for years to come.

Brett is a superstar fullback when fully fit and we've just forgotten that in the time he's been injured. The benefit that we'll gain when he returns to full fitness will add a whole new dimension to the team.

Hoppa is only 18 and if we manage him well, he has the potential to develop into a superstar in his own right. At this stage of his career, I don't think a full season in first grade is the best thing for him. The wear & tear on the body at his age is something that needs to be considered carefully. He's still eligble for Toyota cup and I'd like to see him go back there once Brett and Wolf are back.

Long term I can see him being equally as good at centre or FB. I think Brett will stay at FB and there's a likelyhood that either Lyon or Matai will move to the ESL in a few years.... then that should open up a centre spot for Hoppa. In the meantime, he'll get plenty of first grade at FB, centre and wing and as long as Brett stays healthy they'll be a formidable combination for many years to come.

BOZO said:
Its not a case of Hoppa V Snake but Hoppa PLUS Snake. We have the most lethal backline in the nrl with these 2. Never to be separated !!!!

I can see Hoppa running onto Brett's passes on kick returns...let Hoppa hit the line as he seems more effective at this, he's also younger and will fill-out as he get's older.

Daddycool said:
Brett and Hoppa can co-exist.... and as long as he re-signs, they will for years to come.

Brett is a superstar fullback when fully fit and we've just forgotten that in the time he's been injured. The benefit that we'll gain when he returns to full fitness will add a whole new dimension to the team.

Hoppa is only 18 and if we manage him well, he has the potential to develop into a superstar in his own right. At this stage of his career, I don't think a full season in first grade is the best thing for him. The wear & tear on the body at his age is something that needs to be considered carefully. He's still eligble for Toyota cup and I'd like to see him go back there once Brett and Wolf are back.

Long term I can see him being equally as good at centre or FB. I think Brett will stay at FB and there's a likelyhood that either Lyon or Matai will move to the ESL in a few years.... then that should open up a centre spot for Hoppa. In the meantime, he'll get plenty of first grade at FB, centre and wing and as long as Brett stays healthy they'll be a formidable combination for many years to come.

Hoppa won't be going back to Toyota cup. He's close to our best on the field now & there isn't a club out there that wouldn't sign him to a first grade contract if they had the coin.

Worst I can see for him is the bench mate - I think he has to be a starter somewhere. Someone will have to move for him.

Darren said:
can't be matai or lyon, not keiran or DCE, Robbo or Wolfie it is,
Matai, Lyon, Wolfie & Snake. Can't remember when they were all on the paddock together fit & in form.

What a dilemma hey
:p

Hoppa even this early into his career has a more rounded skill base than Brett Stewart, eats more yards from kick returns comes through the line a little offering a quicker play the ball off kick returns also.

I've always been critical of B.Stewarts kick returns and being dominated in tackles but i have to admit this year B.Stewart seems to have packed on a few Kg's to his frame and has showed at times some good intent with his kick returns.

Bretts composure at the back directing defence and making sweeping defensive tackles is another aspect of Bretts game that can't be undervalued but Hoppa is already showing signs of this also.

Turn of speed is what B.Stewart has that is lacking in Hoppa---if we keep both either Lyon heads back to ESL or Matai moves into the back row to facilitate a move into the Centres.

I love the explosive turn of speed and stepping of Matai who runs great lines and "most" times comes outside in reading the second man plays so well as does Lyon---i would prefer to keep Matai at Centre for at least the next 2 seasons but you just know his high tackle action is going to lead to another few suspensions.(already in yesterdays game he was lucky it did not connect)

Not sure when Bretts contract is up but some tough calls have to be made in the next few years(maybe even next year if things dont work out but i'm confident Hoppa will resign for 2yrs) in relation to either letting a big name player go or a reduced contract.(3rd parties are needed big time now to get around the cap especially in Bretts case if we want him long term)

Hoppa is riding the start of a good wave of publicity that requires good management to maintain its rise over the next few years. At his young age good consistent repetitive structures will help him generate a massive contract in his early 20's by building on his profile within a competitive team.

Being the new big name headline signing in a new team at such a young age is not the type of pressure he needs this early in his development.

I don't think it's going to be that tough really, Hoppa gets the wing spot over Wolfman and Oldfield at full strength. I'd love to see him in the centres ideally. The one that has to worry is T Rex, he's becoming irrelevant.

Cletus said:
I don't think it's going to be that tough really, Hoppa gets the wing spot over Wolfman and Oldfield at full strength. I'd love to see him in the centres ideally. The one that has to worry is T Rex, he's becoming irrelevant.

I wouldn't be wasting Hoppa on the wing long term and especially during contract negotiations----might be best to keep Brett on the sidelines while contract negotiations are still in limbo with Hoppa. Easing the load on Brett's knees and increasing the chances of Brett being fit during the back end of the season will keep Hoppa happy and be of benefit to Brett also.

Maybe this is the plan all along.(i'm not convinced its a hammie---its either resting Brett or more serious)---Wolf man did not look convincing answering the question also on the footy show---it appeared
like he had no idea or being cagey.

I don't know that he's wasted on the wing if Brett is playing. The rpoblem is he's not going to push out Matai or Lyon and Brett is a must as well. He'll get some time at fullback during the season and when Lyon leaves us he can slot into centre. He's going to get a bit bigger so I can see him in the backrow as well. I just hope we can keep him for a while.

And it does seem strange that Brett is taking so long, although someone did say rnd 9 not long after he injured it so maybe that was the plan all along.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4