Home Truths: manly and nrl

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Shoe1

Journey Man
We can all see the refereeing debacle of the last 5 or so mins of origin.

The bronc's first two tries today were dodgy, as was the decision on matai's disallowed try. Their halfback practically tackled our decoy runner.

Now for manly, that loss is nothing to be panicking about. Kieran and Buhrer are our best players, they showed that today, full of passion and heart, never gave up. Buhrer needs to be signed up ASAP. I kept watching out of respect for their efforts.

Brett is way out of form. Hiku has mistakes in him but how long can he be left posted on the wing twiddling his thumbs? Is it time? Probably not quite but Brett needs to improve.

Did Lyon come back too early? Some dud decisions today from him.

Jesse was close to our best forward. King looked good for 10 mins but what about the rest of the game. Maybe he was injured.

Lots of ref influence on today's outcome but tooves may need to make some tough calls.

Another problem we have is players coming in and out of the side with injuries. Combinations become to look good, then BAM, another one goes down.

Imagine how jt would have blown up after the 1st 2 Bronx tries, and matai's disallowed try. It would have been a walk off.

I thought both the calls on the Broncos first tries were OK. Matai one was probably correct, but frustrating because HUnt was never going to stop the try.

Unfortunately since the win over Canberra Snake's form has dropped right off, though he was ok against the Scum. I don't know if he's playing injured or not but since then he's not been the same running player. From what I've seen he's even let his wingers (Jorge, Peta and the Wolf when he plays) do most of the work in running the ball back and agreeing with others here he seems to be playing timid, almost afraid of going hard for fear of getting injured again.

Don't get me wrong, I love Snake as a player. But in the past 2 or 3 games its been like he's stuck in 1st gear.

Gee I didn't think Snake was THAT bad today. Made one or two bad decisions in attack, but also created a couple of others. Broncos defended quire well. He was defensively sound as usual. He certainly had more involvement and impact than Killer today.

As for his kick returns, when was the last time you saw him rip in running the ball back ?? It just doesn't happen anymore post injury, which is kind of understandable.

Chip and Chase said:
I thought both the calls on the Broncos first tries were OK. Matai one was probably correct, but frustrating because HUnt was never going to stop the try.

100%
They were 50/50 calls, if the on field refs ruled no try then they wouldn't have been overruled either. Its not the refs fault, its the current rules and the "conclusive evidence"
Matai's try - at first look, I thought it was a try for all money, after numerous replays you can see why it was given no try. Very soft from Hunt, but again its the rules of the modern game.

36 to 10. Leave the refs out.They were a far better side.We had a bad day.Move on to next week.

Yesterday told us what we all know anyway.Our top side will beat most comers,take 3 or 4 out,particularly in the forwards, and we wont have the class to win the comp.

susan said:
36 to 10. Leave the refs out.They were a far better side.We had a bad day.Move on to next week.

Yesterday told us what we all know anyway.Our top side will beat most comers,take 3 or 4 out,particularly in the forwards, and we wont have the class to win the comp.

Agreed, whether it was 26-14 or 36-10, it's the same message

Roosters got flogged by cows a couple of weeks ago and I think they will go back to back.Dogs (will probably play them in the GF in my opinion) had a very ordinary first 3 games and guess why? injuries of course.Bad days happen and shouldn't be exaggerated.

With the cap all squads struggle with a few out.We do better than all comers normally in that situation.If we are unscathed in the second half we will make some noise at the back end.

susan said:
Roosters got flogged by cows a couple of weeks ago and I think they will go back to back.Dogs (will probably play them in the GF in my opinion) had a very ordinary first 3 games and guess why? injuries of course.Bad days happen and shouldn't be exaggerated.

With the cap all squads struggle with a few out.We do better than all comers normally in that situation.If we are unscathed in the second half we will make some noise at the back end.

That is far too rational susan...

Got to face the facts that Manly are going through a transition period.They've done remarkably well with the talent they have at the moment but players who make a difference are needed

The stability of the past half dozen years is over as the older great players begin to leave or not produce quite what they could when they were younger. The game against Brisbane was a sign of the instability brought about by these changes that have been happening increasingly in the past two or three years.

There are signs of a re-emergence and it may be that the pain of transition isnt seriously felt, especially with Toovey as coach. But I think the best of the latest Manly surge is over and the next generation is in development stage.

Personally I think Manly should use this period to give some of the rising stars more first grade game time such as Gutherson, Sao and Trbojevic. In fact I would be considering bringing young Tom Terrific and perhaps Knight and Hopoate up into the NSW Cup to prepare them for the top grade in the following year. Not unusual for an 18-19 year old to play top grade. Fulton, Eadie, Johnny Gibbs, Phil Blake just to name a few. Time for change in the ranks.

Bearfax said:
Got to face the facts that Manly are going through a transition period.They've done remarkably well with the talent they have at the moment but players who make a difference are needed

The stability of the past half dozen years is over as the older players begin to leave or not produce quite what they could when they were younger. The game against Brisbane was a sign of the instability brought about by these changes that have been happening increasingly in the past two or three years.

There are signs of a re-emergence and it may be that the pain of transition isnt seriously felt, especially with Toovey as coach. But I think the best of the latest Manly surge is over and the next generation is in development stage.

Personally I think Manly should use this period to give some of the rising stars more first grade game time such as Gutherson, Sao and Trbojevic. In fact I would be considering bringing young Tom Terrific and perhaps Knight and Hopoate up into the NSW Cup to prepare them for the top grade in the following year. Not unusual for an 18-19 year old to play top grade. Fulton, Eadie, Johnny Gibbs, Phil Blake just to name a few. Time for change in the ranks.

Agreed - the players you mention are our new beaver, elsegood, cleary, gartner, kosef etc.

I forgot where are we on the table?

Just wondering why people could potentially right this year off???

lsz said:
I forgot where are we on the table?

Just wondering why people could potentially right this year off???

Exactly.

This sudden concession is beyond me.

If every team that lost heavy already this year are written off, there's no-one left folks.

Way too much class in our squad to be written off, it is class more often than not that wins GF's.

Never doubt the hunger with this playing group, fans on this site have been doing just that for years and keep getting proved wrong.

We are losing it in the forwards in defence and go forward----the defensive proactive aggression of Watmough and Glenn Stewart is missed at the advantage line.

Our front row lacks aggression and size that can bend the line so losing a few back rowers really shows up our weaknesses more so than other clubs.

When the game is fast and high tempo Manly's high intensity periods can't be matched which can still work in our favour during the back end of the season "if and that is a big if" all our troops are fresh and injury free.

manlyfan76 said:
So no injuries and refs getting calls 100% right then we never get beaten.

Nope

Teams that blame refs more often than not only have themselves to blame but yes Ref decisions can make a difference---better to look from within than to blame external factors out of your control.

Technical Coach said:
Way too much class in our squad to be written off, it is class more often than not that wins GF's.

Never doubt the hunger with this playing group, fans on this site have been doing just that for years and keep getting proved wrong.

We are losing it in the forwards in defence and go forward----the defensive proactive aggression of Watmough and Glenn Stewart is missed at the advantage line.

Our front row lacks aggression and size that can bend the line so losing a few back rowers really shows up our weaknesses more so than other clubs.

When the game is fast and high tempo Manly's high intensity periods can't be matched which can still work in our favour during the back end of the season "if and that is a big if" all our troops are fresh and injury free.

What a load of dribble.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6