Holden Cup

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Manly To Win!

Reserve Grader
Tipping Member
I think our Holden Cup side should be commended for coming so close to making the top 8. Considering how badly they have done over the last 3-4 seasons and considering the lack of quality coaching we have at the lower levels, I think the players did an exceptional job. They played a number of quality matches this season, and I lost track of how many times they fought back from seemingly unwinnable positions. There looks to be a number of very good prospects in that side, and I sincerely hope Manly does all they can to retain them and keep building them up to first grade, because if they can wait 1-2 seasons, they will have the opportunity to get a regular first grade spot.

Masked Eagle said:
Why do you say a lack of quality coaching?

Well ME, surely you've seen the relentless criticism of Luke Williamson; and to a lesser extent, David Heath?

I don't physically see these games, can only go on the stark evidence of results; and the regular diatribes against Willow and co. (Are you being sarcastic, or genuinely unaware of that mate?)

As for @"Manly to Win!" and his praise for our "kids'' season, I agree! (A slow start and share of injuries for sure) but on the whole a solid year with plenty to look forward to!

And I tend to err on the side of faith in our management (Tooves and co. AND Dave Warwick).

Seeing Gutherson and Hodges fill in adequately was a positive (I remain baffled by and unable to see why we signed Chee Kam at all, and for 3 yrs? ). He's only got the one more year to shape up or ship out!

But, especially with Summer on it's way, our future could indeed be so bright " we better wear shades"!

Names like Tom T, Charlie Taylor, Jamill Hopoate, Liam Knight and Michael Stig ARE regularly praised (amongst others like Jake T). Also Nicholls and Garner have been highlighted in recent times.

So well done; and I hope as many stay as possible.

EDIT: I've just corrected this midnight post; and do apologize for the original incoherence.

With things going pear-shaped for our senior group at the worst possible time (meaning our finals campaign will be a massive challenge now) it doesn't hurt to look at, praise and look forward to the next generation of Manly champions!

Did we turn out one of the youngest squads in the competition? Seem to recall talk that most of our guys were 17-19 year bracket.

Apparently Jordan Latham from the 20's will be in the NRL squad for next year. Another young front rower to come through.

Masked Eagle said:
Why do you say a lack of quality coaching?

I say lack of quality coaching because Luke Williamson has never had anything resembling a winning season and had a number of players walk out on his NSW Cup squad last season, and I've never heard anything overly positive about Hatch, although it does look like he turned it around this year. I do stand to be corrected though, as I realise that they all have plenty of issues to deal with.

Hamster Huey said:
Did we turn out one of the youngest squads in the competition? Seem to recall talk that most of our guys were 17-19 year bracket.

I know we had the youngest Holden Cup squad last season, and I doubt that would have changed much this season.

sheridanstand78 said:
The team was great, they won 9 out of their last 12 games. Beat most of the top teams in doing that too.

We have some excellent young players and we must do all we can to retain as many of them as possible.

The future is bright!

Our last good under 20s team had Kieran, daly, buhrer, lussick. Looks like we are unearthing a few more. Are the old guard getting worried? :p

tookey said:
endzone said:
He is suppose to be leaving and possibly to Parra.

That backs up what I have heard as well. FMD

Does anyone have any good news this week?

How about the fact that we were good enough to finish 2nd? I hate to think what some people on here would be like if they were Sharks or Tigers supporters.

And back onto topic, if they manage to keep most of that side together, they could do some damage next season.

Shoe1 said:
Jamil is our next choc, non stop energy and strong in attack and defence.

Hopefully his off-field incidents can be reined in, he sounds like he is quite a prospect.

This is the time old argument of how you judge success in the lower grades (especially in the salary cap era)

Is it overall success or is it number of players developed and put into first grade

lsz said:
This is the time old argument of how you judge success in the lower grades (especially in the salary cap era)

Is it overall success or is it number of players developed and put into first grade

I've been over this numerous times before. I understand the argument on the other side but for me player development is number 1. I couldn't care less about the wins in the lower grades. I know people will say that winning helps with development and there is that side to it, but for me I like the idea of our juniors not having it easy coming up through the grades. So many kids who look the goods coming up through the ranks fail at the senior level because they don't know how to push themselves, they've gotten to that point on talent alone, not because of work ethic.

That being said there is no guaranteed way of getting talented kids through to become regular first graders. All kids are different and will react differently to methods of adversity and coaching. However, considering our lack of consistent success in the lower grades compared to our achievements in the top grade I'm more than happy with how we do it. Especially when you compare it to some other clubs who seem to dominate the junior rep scene but aren't nearly anywhere near as consistent title contenders at the NRL level as us.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6