Hodkinson + 2011

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
At the moment where do others see his worth ? I see potential in him, but at this stage I couldn't say he has been anything more than solid. That is not bagging him at all, but at this stage, on what I have seen on the field, he at this point in time would be a 175k player in my eyes. If the Dogs want to risk paying big overs on potential, good luck to them I suppose.

So, if he goes, I presume we keep Matai, and we look at these as the options for next year

3. Matai
4. Whare
6. Lyon
7. Foran

3. Matai
4. Lyon
6. Foran
7. Cherry Evans

or the real outside bet

3. Matai
4. Lyon
6. Foran
7. Orford

Personally, I don't mind either of the 1st 2 options. Foran has basically been running the show this season anyway, even with the 6 on his back he is our dominant halve who is in control of it. Cherry I was never convinced on in the 20s but who knows, he may come up to the mark ok, hopefully some of our Qld based people can keep an eye on him in the Qld Cup

Hodkinson will be a loss, but not all will be lost if we can't compete with the money flying in from elsewhere

The only other half in recent times who has performed as well when put into NRL has been Peter Wallace. Similar type in some ways, and possibly capable of playing at the highest level (eg origins, grand finals...)

BTW word is we have offered him a 4 year deal, that says it all about what Des thinks of him.

As much as I think Foran in a genuine 5/8 I would rather have him at half as opposed to Cherry Evans, who I'm still a little concerned of, regarding defensive issues.
As for Orford I'm not ever going to criticize someone who did so much for our club, but I'm hoping we are looking towards the future and not a stop gap solution.
It will be a shame to lose Hodkinson but (175/200) over 4yrs to a player with 11 first grade games under his belt is a reasonable offer. I think we have been more than fair to him and if he sees things differently then..see you later buddy.

Whare is a MUST for 2011, or we will risk losing him as well.

I heard that Riccardi in the 20's is considered a good prospect...how good is he?

Orford? My god! I hope this is not true as I can't understand where he will play this year, unless Hoddo is dropped for signing with the Dogs?

I guess the thing with Hodko is that you are banking on him improving significantly over the next 2 or 3 years with more NRL game time. You are right in that he is solid and that's about it, but he is a solid solid, if you know what I mean. His defence is good and that's a big thing for young halves. He has the basics of a good kicking game which will get better with more confidence and better decision making. He has a good build for the weekly rigours of the NRL and doesn't look overawed by the physicality of the top level. He hasn't shown a lot of maturity in stepping up and really controlling our side yet in the absence of Foran the last two games, and without Lyon as well last night. That will come with more confidence and experience one would hope.

I think he is worth paying a little overs for on the promise that he will develop into a really good NRL half. I'd be disappointed if we let him go on what I've seen from him this year. He hasn't taken the NRL by storm but he hasn't been particularly out of his depth. I'd rather him in 7 then Orford or DCE to be frank. I'm hoping we can hang onto him.

From what I know, about 2 years ago, me and a couple of the boys were talking to a big name official (not revealing but it's true) Des and staff were pretty concerned about 2 parts of Dally Cherry Evans game with main one being defence. From what he said, the officials didn't believe Evans would play nrl. Hodkinson was always a gun half but copped a terrible knee injury (I think) and that slid him down the slide at Parra. Crusher always had big wraps on him. Sounds right as half spot was up and Hodko got it and Evans at Sunshine.

Gary Riccardi is pretty young but came with huge wraps from QLD. Plays quite similar to Hodko! Ain't the quickest but really tough and doesn't shirk the hard stuff. Can put players thru gaps much better than Hodko. Has an excellent short kicking game, long is ok, Hodko has a great kicking game. Couldn't see Riccardi ready for 1-2 more years. Foran will dominate next several years anyway.

I think he is worth 800k over 4 years, I.e. 200k a year but as he improves he will probably be worth more.

I think we really need to have both hodko and foran in the side and I will be sad to see him go if he does leave

Dan link said:
I think he is worth 800k over 4 years, I.e. 200k a year but as he improves he will probably be worth more.

I think we really need to have both hodko and foran in the side and I will be sad to see him go if he does leave

At what cost Dan, I love it if he declines and stays with us for less but we have other players to be retained. We should let Bailey go, Orford is not the answer, Whare needs to be retained from what I saw last night. 

Don't forget we have half a dozen players on the sidelines and I don't think we have a whole heap of space under the cap.

I think we can lose bailey and I think probably matai too if it means we keep hodko and whare.

Dan link said:
I think we can lose bailey and I think probably matai too if it means we keep hodko and whare.

I agree, but how much have we got in the coffers and how many others players are we trying to retain?

When we release players such as cuthbo aren't we paying some of his contract?

Pretty sure Bailey in under contract for next season. I would be very surprised if we saw him at the club post that

The way I am reading things, Perry is zero chance to be with us next season, and we will have 1 of Hodkinson or Matai departing as well

I may be wrong here, but am pretty sure we signed Whare for 3 seasons

For me, Matai is a crucial retention, our depth is very, very short in that area, especially if Farrar is required to play fullback which shouldn't be a problem in a year or 2 hopefully. Hodkinson is the same as well I suppose, with only Cherry behind him at the moment

I think cuthbo's contract was only until the end of this year anyway.

I just think those 2 are players we need for the future

What about the extra $300,000 for next years cap increase? Surely our chances of retaining Hodkinson and Matai have increased with this news.

I think we need to be looking on the Market for another fullback as well, just for cover if nothing else

I wonder if Matai is going next season because Farrar will no longer need to play fullback anymore and might go back to centres?

I really can't see ox playing for manly again...he didn't like the 300k 2yr offer we put to him last year,and I don't like his chances of getting a better deal at manly 12 months on..

And even if he would accept that deal,surely if we had 300k laying around we would be loading up hodkinson with some of it to lock him up...

As for cherry evans, the last time I saw him he had the fram of a 12yr old school girl,unless he's spent last few months adding 15kg to his frame I can't see him being anything other than a ragdoll in 1st grade!!! (Admittedly I havnt seen him since his last nyc match,maybe he has put some on)

Matabele link said:
I thought Hodgkinson was supposed to be locked up.  
Aren't you thinking of Danny Wicks?
This mornings Tele online says we haven't given up on retaining Hodko & Matai with the increased cap just announced, also quoted Lowe as saying we are not in the market for any Oxen.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7