Hockey Season Starts...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Narcissus

Reserve Grader
I know I'll probably in the minority here, but hockey is one of those sports that once you've been surrounded by it for a few weeks, it's hard not to get into it. I was fortunate enough to be in Calgary in 2004 when the Flames got into the playoffs for the first time in 7 years and ended up being the first Canadian team playing for the Stanley Cup in a decade.

Anyway, the season is on us again and I'm already teeing up which NHL games to watch on TV as well as which games to go and see of both our local university team and our local QMJHL team (the QMJHL being a major source of NHL new blood). It's going to be a kicking season especially as I have a funny feeling it's going to be a cold, long winter (let's see in 6 months if I'm right :) ). With each team playing on average about once every 3 days, I should be set for hockey somewhere, somehow, every night.

So what's the deal with this thread? Just getting excited is all, but I also wanted to post two videos from two different eras, showing off some of the greatest parts of hockey :)

Here's an old school brawl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZmRWz_Dyk0
And this is a group of maybe 5 big fights, all in the same game from more recently: http://youtube.com/watch?v=N1-25s4uwFQ

There's something about watching men in skates trying to punch while trying to stay upright that just makes me laugh!

Go Avalanche !!!

As long as Joe Sakic wears the (c), Colorado will always do well. I actually can't believe Colorado beat your Flames TWICE to finish the last season, and didn't feature in the play offs (just).

I'm gutted Patrick Roy doesn't play for us anymore....just gutted....regardless of age !!!

Here's a tip for you though...check out this kid who plays for us this year - Kevin Shattenkirk...17 years old. Colorado's 1st draft choice...came from the US under 18's.

PS: I hope Forsberg comes home !! The Avs need his experience. Someone was saying potentially 4 million a season for him though !!!

Oh yeah - here's a pressi for you...my boy against...well....your rabble:-

http://avalanche.nhl.com/team/app?page=PlayerDetail&playerId=8451101&service=page

Click on Sakic, then go to video's....2nd one down....700...

Ryan: I'm about to shame myself severely. While I was in Calgary for their playoffs run, the Flames are not my team. At best they are my 'western conference team'.

Unfortunately, I picked the home team of a friend of mine (someone I was friends with for years before even visiting Canada). That is to say, I'm a Leafs fan :(

Joe Sakic is a treat to watch, though we have our hearts for the local boys: Brad Richards was born and raised on the Island, so we have to support him, and Sidney Crosby is a Canadian Maritimer too, so it will be nice to see him progress.

Yep, it's looking to be a fine year. Now, if only those Leafs could do something :)

Pittsburgh Penguins (from the Mario Liemieux or however you spell it days) for mine, though I would rather watch field hockey - no fights but at least the focus is on the ball. (Get the puck outta here!!!)

I would rather watch field hockey

Because there is no fight's?? 8|

I hope you put your tampons in your purse before you watch your next game Dave... :lol:

@CW: The Penguins are good. As I said earlier, that Sidney Crosby was a great pick up. An AWESOME hockey player (I have heard "the next Wayne Gretzky" from people that would never have been expected to use that phrase).

Plus, he's a genuinely nice guy. He and his mother were on the news just after he was drafted... she was a single mother, doing her best to keep her son in hockey (an expensive sport). When he was drafted he bought her a new car because she never had one. It was lovely to see :) The Penguins deserve everything success for having picked him up.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4