Hicks and Monaghan.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Heisenberg

Reserve Grader
Just sitting at home in Scotland and wondering what got me into Manly. I used to Watch Warrington quite a bit and Chris Hicks and Micheal Monaghan where stars in esl. Just wondering how the the 2 are held in your eyes?
Obviously played in losing /winning finals in 2007 and 2008.
Now, I don't give a rats a**e what happens in superleague.
No 1 fan in Scotland.

Both Monaghan and Hicks did not play in the 2008 Grand Final, both were rated highly by Manly fans, especially Monaghan, who had a sensational game against the Cowboys in a grand final qualifier in 2007.
They say that Hicks was the fastest at Manly over 100m, and that included Brett Stewart

Likes em both and both played sound roles in the manly rebuild era. Hicks could alway sniff out a try and Mina's was useful at both half and then hooker when orford arrived.

Appreciate the reply guys.i remember Hicks scored a hatrick at Wembley for Wolves and Monaghan was a schemer of the highest order. I'm trying to soak up as much as I can about this club. Past and present. Cheers .

Appreciate the reply guys.i remember Hicks scored a hatrick at Wembley for Wolves and Monaghan was a schemer of the highest order. I'm trying to soak up as much as I can about this club. Past and present. Cheers .
I was a huge fan of Chris Hicks and at one stage in a mid table team I am sure he was near the top of the whole comp for tackle busts. Very effective in the middle of the field with these fantastic runs he used to go on. I can't work out why with his great speed as well why he wasn't scoring more long range tries like Donald and B.Stewart. If Donald got the ball in a bit of space from anywhere on the field you'd have a quick look at the opposition and you could see a certain try if he had a clearish run. I can't recall ever seeing this with Spider. Monaghan was very effective and it is hard to say why he was not a rep player , I wasn't so sad to see him leave but he helped Manly towards a golden run.

I like them both, particularly Monaghan who was a gritty player with lots of heart. They weren't considered "stars" of the NRL. They certainly weren't considered the type that "will be the one to knock".

Manly signed Monaghan as a young up-and-coming half or 5/8 in 2004. From memory he was not considered a rising star, but was thought of as showing some promise. At the time his signing was a significant boost, because that's low our stocks had sunk.

He always tried his guts out and proved a tremendous competitor, if not a top-flight half. The team was improved with his addition, which helped to lure the next year a young rep quality forward in Kite and a busted old champion forward in Kennedy ... and we were heading for good times.

However, coach Hasler knew that Monaghan was not a halfback capable of taking us all the way, and he went all out to poach Orford from the Storm. Along the way this caused some furore as then part-owner Delmege pulled rank to get Monaghan re-signed.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/League/S...-the-Max-factor/2005/06/06/1117910241699.html

Monaghan had to move over, and ended up hooker, but continued to improve. Notable moments were his fantastic performance in that Cows finals match @Peter C mentioned, and another game I recall when he won the match at the death with a chip and chase and Des Hasler said he pulled that move out of his 'arsenal'.

Some people thought he went in circles and couldn't cut it as an organiser but I liked him as a player and he played a big role in improving the team as it headed for glory. Tough, skilful, and wholehearted.

I remember Matabele having an inverted hard on for him ,always claiming he runs in circles.I think there was a nickname being bandied around here for him too.
I always rated him though..

Ox > Monaghan end of story.

Hicks was solid but I'd remember him more as a Panther than one of ours.

Was a big fan of both.
Was over the moon when I heard we signed hicks from Penrith, it's a shame he was another player whose career ended at Parra.

Monaghan was great value and played a big part on the field in our revival years. I remember being worried about the hooking role when he left and the creativity he provided from the role aswell as another kicking option I thought would be a huge loss at the time.

Just sitting at home in Scotland and wondering what got me into Manly. I used to Watch Warrington quite a bit and Chris Hicks and Micheal Monaghan where stars in esl. Just wondering how the the 2 are held in your eyes?
Obviously played in losing /winning finals in 2007 and 2008.
Now, I don't give a rats a**e what happens in superleague.
No 1 fan in Scotland.
Where are you in Scotland Heisenberg. I originally hail from Forfar

Monas was a better hooker than half. Solid and always gave 100%, but did have a touch of concentric circles about him at halfback. Liked his work at hooker though.

Hicks was a very good winger who could cover centre more than adequately. I liked him, good finisher and its a pity he didn't stay around for 2008, but his absence saw the rise of the Wolfman. Scored a try in 2007 GF. 42 tries in 93 games for Manly isn't a bad strike rate

They were both very good club men and from all reports were popular with their team mates and kept the group tight off the field.

Hicks goes down as one of our most underrated players in my opinion. In 07 I still believe our wing pairing of Hicks and Robbo was close to the best in the league yet those outside of Manly wouldn't have batted their eyelids at them.

Was a very big Hicks fan. I remember a game in '04 against the Knights, the Knights racked up 50 and after one of the tries nearing the end, Hicks ripped off his wrist strapping, pegged it at the ground in frustration while giving a serve to whoever let in the soft try. He echoed my frustrations and let me know he actually cared. He was also a very handy centre/winger. Would be a very welcome addition to our current side.

He copped the axe at Penrith for jabbing Martin Lang and the coach thought that Hicks was to blame, for obvious reasons. Not quite the most impartial of judges.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6