HIA rorts

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
With coaches blatantly cheating the intention of this rule, and gaining a free interchange while instructing players to often feign a head knock, it's time for a change.
No free interchange!
An injury that requires a HIA is still an injury; no different from any injury. So it doesn't deserve to be treated any differently. If you have to come off the field that is an interchange.
It will stop the intention of the rule - to protect players from concussion - from being rorted.

Didn't Parra get questioned over this in the last few seasons?

Don't know how you can stop the rorts, maybe if a player comes off for an HIA he must be assessed by an independent appointed doctor by the NRL.
Cleared to play than it is counted as an interchange.
Fail the test then it isn't counted as an interchange but the player must sit out the next game to fully recover.

Even that isn't perfect but have seen so many players lay down with a light touch go off for an HIA than come back on 10 minutes later fully refreshed.

Agree it is still an injury, why is a head knock treated as a free replacement but a bloke with a broken leg not treated the same way.

Didn't Parra get questioned over this in the last few seasons?

Don't know how you can stop the rorts, maybe if a player comes off for an HIA he must be assessed by an independent appointed doctor by the NRL.
Cleared to play than it is counted as an interchange.
Fail the test then it isn't counted as an interchange but the player must sit out the next game to fully recover.

Even that isn't perfect but have seen so many players lay down with a light touch go off for an HIA than come back on 10 minutes later fully refreshed.

Agree it is still an injury, why is a head knock treated as a free replacement but a bloke with a broken leg not treated the same way.

The HIA rule was a reaction to the NFL concussion cases in the USA.

I dare say the NRL was worried about their duty of care to concussed players and future liability given the USA studies are showing longer term mental issues.

I always thought the NRL should bring their own assessor of head knocks and it's their call.

Surely the bunker could radio down what happened with all their tech as the doc runs out to assess.

Yup, nrl should have their own assessor and if cleared must count as an interchange

It’s a tricky issue concussion. Back in the late 90s I was at school and playing footy. In one game I got knocked out senseless but of course, as what happened in those days, I was back playing the next week. In that game, I didn’t get hit in the head but got hit hard and just the impact, kind of like whip lash, caused me another concussion. So I know concussion can happen in fairly innocuous ways.

I don’t like how the HIA free interchange can be gamed, but I’d rather it be gamed than for one player to keep on playing when they should really come off for assessment.

It’s a tricky issue concussion. Back in the late 90s I was at school and playing footy. In one game I got knocked out senseless but of course, as what happened in those days, I was back playing the next week. In that game, I didn’t get hit in the head but got hit hard and just the impact, kind of like whip lash, caused me another concussion. So I know concussion can happen in fairly innocuous ways.

I don’t like how the HIA free interchange can be gamed, but I’d rather it be gamed than for one player to keep on playing when they should really come off for assessment.
Mate I still suffer from post concussive damage: and only ever got knocked out once. Having said that, that is only because of my Klingon like skull.. copped a heap of damage over the years and back then you just hardened up and tackled those three front rowers running at ya lol

It worked for us last weekend when Pearce faked it after AFB’s tackle and had to spend 15 minutes on the sideline with 12 minutes left in the match.

Maths obviously not Newcastle’s strong suit.

Unfortunately this is just another example of the knee jerking, Band-Aid patching reactionary thinking that goes on in NRL administration. No clear thinking holistic approach, just put a bandage on it until it festers and then blame others for the problem. Again I look at the AFL. They make mistakes but they are forward thinkers, always looking a few steps ahead...progressive thinking. Yes its like chess players. One is thinking only of his next move, his opponent is thinking three moves ahead. Guess who wins? Checkmate

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4