Here we go again

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Has been the same the past 3 years now, I can't wait for footy season to start, Manly go 0-2 to start and I wish it hadn't bloody started !!

This year is so much different to last year though, in the fact that there are plenty of positive areas in the matches, whereas last year was just diabolical footy for 80 mins, especially the Panthers one we lost

Frustrated and annoyed after today's game. I can handle if we get beaten by a player showing some brilliance like Hayne, but it leaves a sour taste in your mouth when a 2nd Hayne plays such a big role in the outcome. How can we be so clean for 50 mins, giving away 1 penalty, then all of a sudden give away what seemed like 5 in 5 mins ? How is smashing a bloke in a tackle now constituting a knock on ?

We played well for 60mins, nothing super spectacular, but controlled, showing some nice sets plays which were reasonably executed, but were playing against a side that was absolutely woeful. We then let a soft try in for Moi Moi and it set something off in them and away they went. I still feel on the whole we defended quite well, especially that period on our line between 50-60mins where we held them back. There tries were all opportunistic and illegal from that point on. I liked the desperation in Williams, Foran and Perry when Hayne got in the clear for the Tahu try. The majority of decisions between our centres and winger on when to hold and when to rush were good too

The much talked about halves area, Foran was the dominant player throughout the game, had a reasonable match. Hodkinson was average for me, nothing stood out really but as a debut can't really expect much more, kicking game near the end let him down a bit. On the kicking game, how about our best kick of the day resulting in a try down the other end, unbelievable. For mine, I still think Lyon is our best halve and should be in there, but is also our top centre. If Lyon was a fixture at 6, on the 2 games we have seen Foran would be my 7 having shown me more, but I would not be writing Hodkinson off, he doesn't have the advantage of already having some games under his belt at this level

Seemed to be a completely different style we operated with today as well. Monday night was more direct through the forwards while today we went with a more sideline to sideline attack which did actually seem to work, and as I mentioned earlier the set plays were creating holes where they were meant too, once they are a bit crisper we have some danger in them. The difference in our attacking mentality probably shown best by Matai who usually got straight and hard playing more across the park today

Galuvao and Cross both impressed me, King and Kite both ran hard and Rodney did plenty as well, I heard he got Manlys best on the ABC. Choc was disappointing with the mits but as always the effort was there. He and Perry must sort out discipline issues, they are obviously targeted by the refs these days

The main positive for me is that it gave me some more insight into what our 17 should be in the coming weeks, for mine something like this

Farrar
Robertson
Matai
Lyon
Willams
Foran
Hodkinson
King
Ballin
Kite
Watmough
Rodney
Stewart

Seu Seu/Cross
Rose
Galuvao
Perry

Perry might get a bit of a shake up, and add some impact from the bench. I can't decide whether to go for the big bench with Cross on there and having Ballin play 80, or to still use Seu Seu for some impact which he has shown at other clubs. Ballin also didn't play at his best when asked to play for 80 at times last season

Actually, 1 thing I have just found that is different to the last couple of years is there are more bloody people entering into the banter on FB !! Speaking of FB it is also a disappointment to log onto here and see my ugly mug along the side of the page haha

I thought there was a lot to like about today.  Our kicking to the corners was first class and our intensity is good.  We don;t have a lot of brilliance, but we are brutal, and we have several promising options opening up in attack - we look like we have more dimensions than last year with Foran, Lyon and perhaps even Hodkinson.

I think Farrar needs to be our fullback.

If we go to Gosford with the type of intensity we displayed today, we will win.

Rodney is a plodder and goes to ground all the time with the ball, I remember  Beaver as  asecond rower, running wide, no wonder we are in a mess, Rodney, yes tackles well but no attack

Well, was Hodkinson the Messiah we were led to believe he was going to be, or just a very naughty boy ?

Foran dominated the first half at first receiver and didn't afford Hodko many opportunities. What opportunities Hodko did get he didn't really threaten. Foran runs at the line a lot for a halfback, but at least that straightens our attack, better than the crabbing from Orford we saw last year. I thought Foran outplayed Hodkinson today, and certainly out organised him. That's not to say I was disappointed with Hodkinson's effort, he definitely wasn't overawed and looks like he can handle the pace and contact, much like Foran showed in his debut games. I was expecting more from him in the kicking department as we were told that this was his big strength, didn't show much in that area today. That bomb was a shocker and even though Gifty tidied it up with a good kick, I think (I'm happy to stand corrected) that Hodko was the player that missed the first clean shot on Hayne when he got back into the field of play to compound the error. We needed much smarter kicks in that last 20mins and I really feel Lyon should have asserted his authority and taken control there, rather than leaving it to Foran (whose kicking is still a work in progress) and Hodko. Anyway there was enough there to suggest that we can definitely move forward with Foran and Hodkinson as a partnership, I'll give Hodkinson the benefit of a more settled preparation next time around and a hopefully he will be given more rein to show his wares. I'd like to see Foran on the left and Hodko on the right as first receivers and mix it up a bit. Foran's straight running will suit Choc and Matai, and Hodko can link with Gifty and Killer.

I was really happy with Farrer's contribution today, he was really looking to get involved and sniffed around the ruck a lot. Reminded me of Brett Hodgson. Thought he was great, and the Robbo at fullback experiment must be officially dead now.

Another bad beat today, how good would we be if games only went for 60 minutes ? Crucial ill discipline and a failure to play smart field position and possession cruelled us again. So much to like about our first two efforts only to see them frittered away by an inability to play smart football and protect a lead. As long as these two gutting losses don't affect the boys mentally we will hopefully learn some valuable lessons. Knights won't be easy next week, but we can match them in the forwards and have shown enough for me to be reasonably confident that today's side will be better for the run together and can improve.

Chip & Chase link said:
Well, was Hodkinson the Messiah we were led to believe he was going to be, or just a very naughty boy ?

Noone was trumpeting Hodkinson as a messiah. Where were you led to believe that ?

Blood the new guy was the call.

It was tongue in cheek Jatz. You must admit there was a bit of hype surrounding the guy before today.

I think he's another string to the bow, which is more than can be said for the idea of Bailey at centre, or T Rex for that matter.  Plus he can tackle it seems.

And Farrar is far better at fullback than Robbo.  So I did get what I was calling for, no Robbo at fullback and a look at Hodkinson.  I think the team that went around is much better than the one that was originally named.

Chip & Chase link said:
It was tongue in cheek Jatz. You must admit there was a bit of hype surrounding the guy before today.

Id like to see him given a truly fair go to combine with Foran & or Lyon. If his finishing touches wernt 100% today, his handling of the transition to NRL is not unlike Foran in his debut. He handles the pace, the physicality and most importantly he didnt go into his shell. So much to gain.

Given his performance today you'll get your wish methinks. Surely even Des can see that there were enough good signs in that run on side to stick with it for another week or two and let it settle in.

By the way does anyone know what the upshot of Baileys hand injury was ? Will he be out for any length of time or is it just a one week job ?

Chip & Chase link said:
By the way does anyone know what the upshot of Baileys hand injury was ? Will he be out for any length of time or is it just a one week job ?
  I guess that will depend on how much rest it gets this week?

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Chip & Chase link=topic=182754.msg256077#msg256077 date=1269172239]
  I guess that will depend on how much rest it gets this week?
[/quote]

Alternation is the plan, so its a 50/50 proposition.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2