HEAVY DEFENCE

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Have a look at the weekly opponent of Manly, and how that opponent went the following week, even when Manly lost.

Quite remarkable amount of losses to the opposite teams; if our defence remains that hard for the rest of the year, we are set for finals time!

I was thinking about our defence last night and it dawned on me, just how bad that Garner try was. It was shocking.

They didn’t even play off shape or use a decoy, they literally just passed the ball between three players like a training drill, and there was an open passage down the sideline. Then, we had a fullback who instead of going towards the contact, backed off and basically said, have a try! WTF?!

I can guarantee Penrith and Melbourne would never concede such a meek try. We’ve got a long way to go.

We have a big weakness on our right side defense. Far too many missed tackles and too many tries leaked from turnovers as well.

If we are to challenge the top teams we need to consistently control the ruck and right now we are exposed when we play the top teams because we do not deal with the fact we lack a quality 9!

Haven "t seen any replays but did not look good the way Garner got into the clear . Previously a centre in the Manly juniors and still has some good toe but probably typical of some of the defensive lapses that Manly occasionally shows and a definite weakness . Might not have occurred if Parker was there , no the flashiest of centres but generally does some good reads . Turbo probably just did not expect a narrow side break early in the ruck count [ from memory ] and had to anticipate Garner cutting back inside so wouldn :t be overly critical . Tigers did make some easy breaks so Manly will have to tighten up in that area . Thought that Froggy had another good game however , another clean break as well and almost another .

Haven "t seen any replays but did not look good the way Garner got into the clear . Previously a centre in the Manly juniors and still has some good toe but probably typical of some of the defensive lapses that Manly occasionally shows and a definite weakness . Might not have occurred if Parker was there , no the flashiest of centres but generally does some good reads . Turbo probably just did not expect a narrow side break early in the ruck count [ from memory ] and had to anticipate Garner cutting back inside so wouldn :t be overly critical . Tigers did make some easy breaks so Manly will have to tighten up in that area . Thought that Froggy had another good game however , another clean break as well and almost another .
Not getting to wound up about the Garner runaway try, it was Tui's man to mark up on, one 2 second decision he got wrong. It wasn't a break down the middle, just a down the line run, was surprised how much pace Garner had tbh.

Not getting to wound up about the Garner runaway try, it was Tui's man to mark up on, one 2 second decision he got wrong. It wasn't a break down the middle, just a down the line run, was surprised how much pace Garner had tbh.
Nothing to do with Tuipulotu, he was on the opposite side!
Just looked at it again, I think it was a moment of laziness by Bullemor and Harper as the Tigers winger simply ran across field, and rather than rush up or even follow him across they both left it to winger Garrick to get in front of him. This was about 15m in from touch! Foz didn't have the speed to get across and Harper's chase was pretty half-hearted, disappointing for a bloke trying to get back in the team.

Just looked at it again, I think it was a moment of laziness by Bullemor and Harper as the Tigers winger simply ran across field, and rather than rush up or even follow him across they both left it to winger Garrick to get in front of him. This was about 15m in from touch! Foz didn't have the speed to get across and Harper's chase was pretty half-hearted, disappointing for a bloke trying to get back in the team.
Stand corrected SER8....got my wingers mixed up..

Happens!
Just looked at the Tigers next score in the very next set (well disallowed try for Peachey, then they score straight after). Our defence failed when - twice - Koula raced up but failed to shut down the play. He's a huge talent but still inexperienced.

Wouldn "t have expected Foz to make up much ground but certainly more from Harper at least staying with him recalling it better now . May have helped Turbo also if he was aware of some following defence and covering Garner cutting back inside . Anyway sure that Harper still has some good footy in him and must say that Garner is a good all round quality player

96 points conceeded in last 3 games. Hmmm think again because it's not from being exhausted trying to break our defense. More likely exhausted from scoring points.
High scoring games are the norm under todays rules.

I'm referring to the effort put in by our guys, on the line, set after set. OK they often score under extreme pressure, but we do hurt the attacking team with "in your guts" tackles.

Our opponents are a bit sore and sorry the following week, which is apparent by their loss ratio. They may come off winners, but quite a few are carrying niggling injuries into next week's game.

I just had a recount on 9 games this year.

Apart from round 1 v. Panthers, all of the other opponents lost the following week.
High scoring games are the norm under todays rules.

I'm referring to the effort put in by our guys, on the line, set after set. OK they often score under extreme pressure, but we do hurt the attacking team with "in your guts" tackles.

Our opponents are a bit sore and sorry the following week, which is apparent by their loss ratio. They may come off winners, but quite a few are carrying niggling injuries into next week's game.

I just had a recount on 9 games this year.

Apart from round 1 v. Panthers, all of the other opponents lost the following week.
They were so shagged from scoring all those try’s against us !!

Dunno , but I don’t think it was our defence which I rate as well down the list in comparison to the other top 8 sides.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7