Having a spare 2.5 mill isn't enough

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

susan

Bencher
10 years of finals footy is unheard of in the modern era. Rugby League clubs are almost universally poorly run and administered and generally find a way to f..ck things up eg the Tigers have made the semis twice since they won in 05. We have somehow managed to maintain the rage for a decade with an almost comical admin at times and now is the time we have chosen to really f..ck it up.It is a testament to our culture that we have had a decade of success.

Time to look forward. DCE and the goose are gone. Our other stars are feeling the pinch of age.And what we do for the rest of this year will define the next decade. Not on the field- this current team won't make the eight- it is off the field. Having 2.5 million spare is only relevant if players want to come here. If you were a player watching from the outside would you want to come here right now. Simple answer is NO.

We need to do a Penrith quickly and act decisively. Tooves is gone, (I have been a supporter but all the mail is he is sliding quickly and does have man management problems ouside of the two millionaires), do it quickly and with some decency as our club prides itself on how we treat our legends, show some strength and send the 6 on his way and most importantly promote young talent NOW to give the place the feel of a club that is REIVIGORATING itself and not just clinging to old memories which is what it feels like now.In other words present as a place that has an attractive future to outside talent.Finally provide some CLARITY to fans and outside observers of these future plans(it would be an understatement to say this has been clearly lacking of late).

This can be a 2 or 3 year hiatus as we rebuild a great club or a decade long disaster if they handle it wrong...and it isn't exactly rocket science. Gould, for all his annoying antics, has shown the blueprint to us all.

Last edited:
Won't happen while dinosaurs like the leak still roam the corridors. There are self interest factors at work here and they don't give a **** for the future of this club as a football success.

I do agree with everything you say Susan. Soon there will be very little left of the core group that made us successful for so many years. Its time to rebuild for the future but i think the changes need to start at the top. Ive lost all confidence in Kelly and Penn and I wish we could get rid of Kelly and replace him with Gould tbh.

I do agree with everything you say Susan. Soon there will be very little left of the core group that made us successful for so many years. Its time to rebuild for the future but i think the changes need to start at the top. Ive lost all confidence in Kelly and Penn and I wish we could get rid of Kelly and replace him with Gould tbh.
What planet are you people on . Penn and Kelly have already have things in place for the future
HE has won premierships with the Sea Eagles as a player and coach, and now club legend Bob Fulton is front and centre in a bold initiative to revitalise Manly’s junior rugby league nursery.

Fulton, who has grandchildren playing in the junior league competition, decided to get involved after what he has observed over recent years.

“It’s pretty well documented my concern about what is happening,” Fulton said.

The new board’s blueprint has the support of the Penn family and club CEO Joe Kelly.

The club has development programs moving from the under 13s, 14s and 15s leading into the Harold Matthews and SG Ball representative sides.

“Some kids are late bloomers, some mature quicker than others, so we are making sure we don’t miss anybody,” Fulton said.

The plan also involves identifying young players from outside the area who can compliment the local talent to give Manly seriously competitive sides.

Honestly, I just think it's time to lower our standards / expectations guys. We just aren't that team anymore, and we won't be able to head in that direction, until the cancers are well and truly cut from the team.

Jesus Christ, we have players recruiting others for opposition teams.

How can you build a culture around that?

I said 2 years ago, that a young player told me that the playing group have an issue with the way Toovey interacts with them, and jeez, I was shot down for that.

I think we need to move on from there as well.

Kelly needs to focus on acquiring some talent, and some commercial support. I was hoping to introduce ANZ to him, like I did with NAB and Pat Wilson years ago, but my advances have been ignored, much like the way The Eagles Angels are being treated - so frankly, Kelly can go **** himself.

It's just not enjoyable to be a fan of this team at the moment. It's one mess after another, all the while Kelly sits in his ivory tower doing what is perceived to be jack ****, apart from sacking, losing, disciplining players.

The easiest of the above to implement is giving youth a go.There is absolutely nothing to lose.We are trying to put wounded stars out there every week and it isn't working so there is ZERO to lose.Looking at the draw and constant injuries I expect us to be at best 3 and 7 after 10 rounds and more likely 1 and 9.

From what I have heard the biggest chink in Tooves armour as a coach is his lack of willingness to experiment(and the use of the 4th interchange which quite frankly has been ludicrous). Hasson playing first grade in front of Jake and Sao is impossible to fathom from the outside. The explanation for the lack of game time for these youngsters has been the fact we have soldiered on and kept winning. That is not the case now obviously.

Jake,Sao,Tom T,Williame and others need to be given a chance.These injuries may be a blessing.Development is more important than results right now and it shows to players considering a move to our club we are intent on rebuilding as opposed to clinging to a sinking ship.

On that note it is interesting to compare how expectations are handled in the AFL compared to the NRL.AFL teams are open in terms of managing fans expectations for a particular season regarding the development of the roster and results and this allows them time to implement long term strategies. In league you lose 5 games and a new plan is demanded.The AFL doesn't do everything well but that is an area we can definitely learn from.Gould has (told Cleary he expected two wooden spoons to begin with) and if the plan is made totally clear to fans they will cop a bad run.

Honestly, I just think it's time to lower our standards / expectations guys. We just aren't that team anymore, and we won't be able to head in that direction, until the cancers are well and truly cut from the team.

Jesus Christ, we have players recruiting others for opposition teams.

How can you build a culture around that?

I said 2 years ago, that a young player told me that the playing group have an issue with the way Toovey interacts with them, and jeez, I was shot down for that.

I think we need to move on from there as well.

Kelly needs to focus on acquiring some talent, and some commercial support. I was hoping to introduce ANZ to him, like I did with NAB and Pat Wilson years ago, but my advances have been ignored, much like the way The Eagles Angels are being treated - so frankly, Kelly can go **** himself.

It's just not enjoyable to be a fan of this team at the moment. It's one mess after another, all the while Kelly sits in his ivory tower doing what is perceived to be jack ****, apart from sacking, losing, disciplining players.
I said after rd1 Toovey would be gone in 4 weeks. How close am I to the mark @Ryan ?

I said after rd1 Toovey would be gone in 4 weeks. How close am I to the mark @Ryan ?

You really need to replace him with a people person as coach. Good or bad results aside, Arthur obviously has people skills, so someone like him would be great.

The issue with that, is that Kelly has 0 people person skills, and The Penns and Zorba are very socially awkward, so they may see personalities differently to normal people.

I think susan is right. Invest in developing youth. If it is actually right that Matai is trying to get out and renegotiate his contract now Foran is gone, and there is more money on the table, then that needs to be fixed as well.

In fact, im a bit over Matai wanting out of his contract every five minutes (if this is true).

The secret to the last decade of success is how together the team was. I only see that in patches now and that has to come back if we are every going to get back to that level.

The lack of leadership we have seen from the management since 2011 has put us in the state we are in now and the club badly needs an injection of youth and enthusiasm in the team to get us back to where we want to be. Lets have players in the team who want to be here to start with!

I actually thought it was a big mistake not letting Matai go last year. He's become an injury liability and if his attitude is not 100% Manly then what's the use. A major clean out of all the cancerous attitudes is needed ala Gould Penrith style. A club that realized it's lifeblood is it's fans and the community. No chance of that while the Penns and Kelly are here.

You really need to replace him with a people person as coach. Good or bad results aside, Arthur obviously has people skills, so someone like him would be great.

The issue with that, is that Kelly has 0 people person skills, and The Penns and Zorba are very socially awkward, so they may see personalities differently to normal people.

I think susan is right. Invest in developing youth. If it is actually right that Matai is trying to get out and renegotiate his contract now Foran is gone, and there is more money on the table, then that needs to be fixed as well.

In fact, im a bit over Matai wanting out of his contract every five minutes (if this is true).
It all makes sense now with Foran saying last year he and others were pissed off that we didn't let Matai go to the Warriors. It's because they had already decided to go and were actively trying to pull the place apart. Des really did leave his character on these players.

Relax people, we have been spoilt with success over the last decade. Every other club envied our situation.

The board and management of the club have been a major factor is losing our "STAR HALVES" and hopefully that can be resolved.

The ageing backline and the loss of our halves means that we will be going through a rebuilding phase where we won't be able to match it with the top since. But we've been here before and he club will become strong again but that means a few lean years which we are not used to.

I'm a massive supporter of Tooves. I believe he epitomises the culture.

It saddens me to think that he will be shafted. I can't believe I'm saying it, but I think he's gone.

I'm a massive supporter of Tooves. I believe he epitomises the culture.

It saddens me to think that he will be shafted. I can't believe I'm saying it, but I think he's gone.

But I heard its the player's unhappy with him. Thats the issue. He's slowly lost 80% of his roster.

You need a leader that inspires you to greatness. Not a leader that inspires you to sign elsewhere.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6