Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hasler

The Who

Premium Member
We have absolutely no idea what constrictions Des is working with as far as selections, but i'm 100% sure he is doing what he thinks best with what he has to work with.

It MUST be that way or Elliot would be playing FB, Garrick wing, and Jetski would be slicing oranges.

We are mushrooms.
Yes. I agree.
So wouldn't it be wise to have the Manly Media Manager do a piece on how our top 30 players ranked 18-30 are keeping themselves fit and motivated when they are not being selected to play?
Wouldn't we all like to see and hear from Hoppa Jrn, Schuster, Sippers, Saddler, Guaco, Burbo etc?

40 nil

So wouldn't it be wise to have the Manly Media Manager do a piece on how our top 30 players ranked 18-30 are keeping themselves fit and motivated when they are not being selected to play?
If someone wishes to pursue this, here are the club's contact details

Manly Tragic

Tragic
Premium Member
We all know how painful it is when we see a young player released that has success at a rival club. Young stars want to play first grade and don't want to spend years playing reserve grade or whatever it is called nowadays. I can understand it when they have great players in front of them and the team is successful but I am struggling to understand how the current players in our back line (minus Turbo & Walker) are keeping the likes of Schuster and Hoppa completely out of the equation. I would like to know from an official source why they are not being considered. I will be very disappointed if they end up elsewhere playing first grade like champions and the blame will lie fairly and squarely with those making the calls now.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
Far be it from me to criticise too much someone who I consider one of the best coaches in the game. Hasler is a shrewd operator, one who cares very much for his players, expects their fitness to be top drawer, backs his players and most importantly knows where they are to be on the field defensively.

If there is a criticism, and its purely from my perspective, and I've never played the game (I was a Union player but of no consequence), I sense he tends to be a little too careful and conservative. He's not much of a risk taker, and if you've got a top side there's no reason you should be. He'll bring young Hoppa and Schuster along, but its the timing that is the issue. The point about losing players who want to play first grade and are being held back is a valid comment. Happens all the time and I hope Des realises this. Its a question of timing. Forget whether they are ready. They apparently are. But I suspect Des isn't prepared to get them in first grade unless he has to, this early in the season. Very tricky, especially with young Hoppa, whose contract expires at the end of this season.

I would get one of them in now and the other a few weeks later, and I may bring in Schuster on the bench at first. But then I'm not a coach and my gut feeling is just my gut feeling. However I understand the frustration of some supporters, especially when we are seeing only one creative player on the field in DCE, though Cust adds something. Its about timing and I hope Des doesn't underplay his hand.

jbb/james

I think we saw des play his hand with elliott. If he is not in the plans and games are minimal lets build to the future. Maybe players like elliott and boyle and possibly others are being moved on and there game time , or lack of it , reflects a squad reset

There is the hint of next year in his selections.

Maybe

manly al

Premium Member
Think that Boyle is still re signed for next year [ though some contracts are of course of a flexible nature these days ] Club must have some hope with Saddler , Keppie and Paseka seem to be in favor then Sipley not yet re signed . Not too sure of the bigger picture plans with the back up prop options but will be hard to keep all of them in future seasons .

manly al

Premium Member
Des seems to get Manly teams competing for the entire game and bringing out the best in the resilience department . With a few exceptions this tends to have them hang in there in most games even not at full strength and still with a fair chance of getting a win . Can still understand why he is holding back Schuster and young Hoppa for now but starting Croker ahead of Cust right now and persevering with Jet Ski seems of doubtful benefit if the past couple of games are any indication .

The better Robbo

I can definitely see Sipley gone at the end of the year, unfortunate because I thought he was killing it last year. Elliott is also out of favour so you can see Des picking players he expects to have here next year. I'm hoping Cust will make 5/8 his own which allows Walker back to centre. We get Fainu back and the emergence of Schuster, I'm not sure we will really be buying anyone again. Maybe we can jag another young gun or 2 for cheap but I wouldn't be expecting much

globaleagle

SGF0IHJ1bGVzIGFsbCE=
Staff member
Premium Member
I can definitely see Sipley gone at the end of the year, unfortunate because I thought he was killing it last year.
I can't work this out either. Ran hard, played well, was excited and thankful to be at Manly.

It'd be nice to know what is going on rather than listen to dare I say, ex players going on about how awesome life was (though that is good too, I just wanna hear about the current goings on).

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't work this out either. Ran hard, played well, was excited and thankful to be at Manly.
It may be as simple as wrong place wrong time for Sipley's serious injury. He's probably seen as being on a mid-tier level like Boyle, to which younger players Paseka and Keppie have now graduated. Whereas the rest of our front row stocks should comprise young potential stars such as Saddler Titmuss and the younger Fainu. (Just a guess, I liked Sipley too!)

Ben

Sipley is a premium prop in the making. Massive frame, bends the line with post contact meters, very difficult to handle. Beyond me why he isnโ€™t in the 17 each week. I had him on the bench with Keppie to start the year.
Also not on big dollars these are the guys you win premierships with.

jbb/james

It may be as simple as wrong place wrong time for Sipley's serious injury. He's probably seen as being on a mid-tier level like Boyle, to which younger players Paseka and Keppie have now graduated. Whereas the rest of our front row stocks should comprise young potential stars such as Saddler Titmuss and the younger Fainu. (Just a guess, I liked Sipley too!)
And possibly a little prop heavy in terms of numbers . Jake and waddell can also move up

Ron E. Gibbs

I normally don't like to question the wisdom of Des, but watching Tolman run around for the Bulldogs last night I was struck by what a bog-ordinary player he's been for his entire career. Yet Des loved him. Maybe he does get things wrong occasionally.

• โœ”๏ธ
Reactions: maxta

XV-1

1st time since 2010 since a Des coached Manly team has lost 3 in a row.

Has Des adapted to the new quicker games under the new 6 again rules?

We still seem to be playing the old way, especially in the forwards. Jake is still holding down for too long.
Most our our forwards are not quick enough currently.

We need another Buhrer type forward.

Last edited:

Staff online

• lsz

Latest posts

2020 Ladder

Team P W D L PD Pts
1 Panthers 13 11 1 1 150 23
2 Storm 13 11 0 2 188 22
3 Eels 13 11 0 2 124 22
4 Roosters 13 9 0 4 174 18
5 Raiders 13 8 0 5 27 16