Hasler’s wacky world quickly returns to Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mitch

Bencher
Manly players nervously looked at each other and were not quite sure what to say when Des Hasler started to ramble about "Japanese war" and "emperors" during a video session at the start of the week.

"We all thought, 'what's going on here?'," Tom Trbojevic told said. "He was talking about emperors and kamikazes. Everyone thought he was being serious. It turns out he was actually telling a joke.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ha...uickly-returned-to-manly-20190215-p50y6i.html

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ha...uickly-returned-to-manly-20190215-p50y6i.html

Manly players nervously looked at each other and were not quite sure what to say when Des Hasler started to ramble about "Japanese war" and "emperors" during a video session at the start of the week.

"We all thought, 'what's going on here?'," Tom Trbojevic told said. "He was talking about emperors and kamikazes. Everyone thought he was being serious. It turns out he was actually telling a joke.

"Carty [assistant John Cartwright] was up the back and started laughing. But none of us understood the story."

The unconventional coaching world of Hasler has quickly returned to the northern beaches – and the players are loving it - at least when they understand it.

Trbojevic and his brother Jake, along with skipper Daly Cherry-Evans, were fiercely loyal to former coach Trent Barrett, but there was a great sense of relief when it became clear how easy Hasler was to work with.

Apart from three-hour field sessions and his attention to detail, Hasler has also been described as having a wonderful sense of humour.

"We'll often have chats at the back of the field, I'd be talking to him about defensive lines, and he's be like, 'watch out, watch out', as if someone was coming at me," Trbojevic said.

"I'd turn around and nobody would be there.

"So the other day a dropout was being taken, he was looking down at some stats, so I thought it was my chance to get him back. I pretended to try and catch a ball and he got spooked. He was angry. But that's about 10-1 I'm behind."

Brad Fittler, who resides in Sea Eagles heartland and joined the Trbojevic brothers at Terrey Hills Tavern on Thursday night before embarking on his Hogs For The Homeless Tour, smiled when told about Hasler's gag.

"I know that joke. It's a Ronnie Palmer special," Fittler said, referring to the respected league trainer. "Des is Des. He knows this area, he is who he is and we love him for being himself. I look forward to interviewing him again before games [with Nine].

"The main thing when you change coach is there's always a contrast. And there's no bigger contrast than Trent Barrett and Des Hasler.

"I've had different coaches, and regardless of the [coach who comes in] it's always refreshing.

"Personally I don't know if Manly will have the depth, but they'll have the intent."

The Trbojevic brothers said the Manly players were fighting fit after a gruelling pre-season. Hasler demanded excellence on the field, and quickly pulled players into line if he was not happy.

"The thing about him is his attention to detail," Tom Trbojevic said. "When you're out there, he'll tell you if you're doing it right or wrong, and he'll show you what is right or wrong.

"Obviously we developed a friendship with 'Baz' [Barrett], and he's a really good fella. We knew at the end of last year Baz wouldn't be our coach.

"But with Des coming in, we all know what he has done in the game, we know how successful he is, and he's come here and been really good."

Jake Trbojevic added: "Des is the first one here and the last to leave. He doesn't miss a trick. If you cut corners he finds out. On the field you can't take anything personally. He expects excellence out there. He's given it to everyone at some stage. I really like him."

Tom Trbojevic said Trent Hodkinson, one of the few Sea Eagles to have played under Hasler during his first stint on the northern beaches, had trained well at No. 6.

The fullback also singled out Dragons recruit Rueben Garrick, who "can play wing or centre, he's very quick, athletic and has lots of skill, ad I think he'll have good year for us and be very important."

"The fullback also singled out Dragons recruit Rueben Garrick, who "can play wing or centre, he's very quick, athletic and has lots of skill, ad I think he'll have good year for us and be very important."

Refreshing to have added some speed that was lacking in our back line last season .

Interesting Tom mentioned Hodko training well at 6 - regardless of what people think of him at this stage of his career I'm happy Elgey hasn't been given the keys to the castle just yet. Everyone has to earn their spot and a bit of competition in pivotal positions can only be a really good thing imo. Go Manly

"The thing about him is his attention to detail," Tom Trbojevic said. "When you're out there, he'll tell you if you're doing it right or wrong, and he'll show you what is right or wrong."
Exactly what young Tommy was lacking last year. What a beautiful thing!

"The thing about him is his attention to detail," Tom Trbojevic said. "When you're out there, he'll tell you if you're doing it right or wrong, and he'll show you what is right or wrong."
Exactly what young Tommy was lacking last year. What a beautiful thing!
Well said made . Good point . The mad professors very important attention to detail will polish every players game .
We may not have many new signings this season but we have signed a coach that will improve the quality of every player .

Well said made . Good point . The mad professors very important attention to detail will polish every players game .
We may not have many new signings this season but we have signed a coach that will improve the quality of every player .
Polish every players 'game'.
Geez I had to read that twice Bozo...

Polish every players 'game'.
Geez I had to read that twice Bozo...

Get your filthy mind out of the gutter @Harvies elbow
It is a different polish off every player to the one our players had experienced at Gladstone strip club feathered friend .
sexy-red-female-lips-and-tongue-with-lollipop_gg98797099.jpg

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4