Hasler’s departure could be key to Eagle success

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mals

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Hasler’s departure could be key to Eagle success

By Fletcher_Celand, 12 Jan 2012 (Article on The Roar website)

With the dust barely settled on the storm that was Des Hasler leaving the Eagles’ nest for Belmore, the question needs to be asked: does this stand Manly in better stead for back-to-back success than if he had stayed?

There is often opinion on high-intensity coaches like Hasler, Ricky Stuart, Craig Bellamy and others, that their all-consuming approach leads to increased player burn-out and an inability to get up for the next week, or the next season for that matter.

Will Geoff Toovey’s emergence to the top post at Manly result in a revitalised playing group?

Coming off the back of a certainly draining – although highly successful – five-year period, this may just prove to be the key position change the Eagles need to stay at the top.

St George Illawarra, after a mostly victorious three-year period under Wayne Bennett, look to have been the most recent team to suffer this kind of downfall, with a late 4-1-10 record seeing them bundled out of the 2011 premiership race.

Such a high-intensity game plan, stacked with suffocating defence and consistently pressuring attack, no doubt took its toll on the Saints mental stamina.

It’s been long rumoured that this exact player burn-out occurred during Ricky Stuart’s time at Bondi. With disappointing finals misses in 2005-06, it led to the club parting ways with Stuart after leading the Roosters to three successive grand finals from 2002-04, including a premiership triumph. (It can be argued though that Brad Fittler’s departure coincided exactly with this variance in success, so the jury remains out.)

A similar view can be hypothesised for Manly’s 2012 campaign had Hasler been retained. Having reached the summit not once, but twice, in the last four years, it would widely be assumed that the playing group could potentially become jaded (not even factoring in the off-field soap opera that was the Brett Stewart-David Gallop saga under Hasler’s stewardship).

The Sea Eagles playing roster remains relatively stable, with the exception of the loss of young hot-shot Will Hopoate, and two honest clubmen in Shane Rodney and Michael Robertson.

They still boast current international and Origin stars stars in Watmough, Foran, Cherry-Evans, Lyon, Ballin, King, Matai and the Stewart brothers.

Toovey is as maroon and white as they come, he is not a new coach to the club, and by his own admission will leverage off a lot of the current structures, systems and ideas the club has been successful with to date.

Going back to back has proved elusive for NRL teams of late, with the last to do it being Brisbane in 1992-93, Manly may just have the unintentional elixir to help break this trend in the age of high-pressure professional coaches. After 18 years of chokes and stumbles from the trophy holders, they look the best chance yet to break this drought.

Yeah I thought I would post this because it's nice to read some positive news.

In 2V we trust!

This article makes some good points. Coaches can stick around for too long (although Bennett with Broncos is an exception, but he did have exceptional talent continually because they are the only team in the city). The Master Coach, Jack Gibson, would say that 3-4 years at the one club was enough to prevent staleness.
A new broom - it could be just what Manly needs to keep the players motivated.
I'm looking on the change as a positive, and I'm confident of being a force in 2012.

Nice to read something positive. But you take it all with a grain of salt

My favourite quote
"The Sea Eagles playing roster remains relatively stable, with the exception of the loss of young hot-shot Will Hopoate, and two honest clubmen in Shane Rodney and Michael Robertson"
Sums it up pretty well, Will just wasn't honest

Finally a positive article, very refreshing to read.

The writer takes a completely different tact - seeing the positives out of the Des Halser departure. Is he the one and only?? and the first bloke to stand up and say - hey this could be (is) for the best. Kudos ;)

Roll on footy season!!

A change is as good as a Holiday!

Manly B2B will be a Player driven assault on those who credit Coaches with winning Premierships.:D

We still have 8 from the 2008 GF squad to make us proud in 2012.

Obviously this journo DOESN'T work for the Telegraph.

Good article.

I also hope he is 100% correct.

But I'd love to take on the Bulldogs in a Grandfinal and beat them 50 to nil (probably with a forward pass on the seventh tackle thrown in - revenge would be sweet.)

Manly will kick ass again this year and they will give it to the other sides back to back !!! Especially Haslers and Crushers doggies because thats the way they like it .

I think I'd like to beat the dogs in the preliminary final, rather than the GF. At least if you lose in a GF you've had the excitement of the whole week beforehand, this way there is none of that. Just that hollow 'so close' feeling...

Robbo was much more than just an honest clubman.

Interesting take though, always good to read something that goes against the grain of "popular" opinion.

patorick2010 said:
Robbo was much more than just an honest clubman.

Interesting take though, always good to read something that goes against the grain of "popular" opinion.

Popular opinion is the opinion created by the most powerful media outlet.

Good to see something positive from the media for a change, and a piece of decent sports writing, unlike Fil Woffield and the Chinese spelling mistake.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6