Grant Mayer to Wests Tigers.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

bones

Bones Knows
Will be named this morning as the Wests Tigers new General Manager Of Commercial Operations.

I wonder how he will find the issues between wests and the tiger factions ?

I think he was over rated. When we had some funds available after Ben Kennedy retired and we chased about every off contract backrower in the game and he couldn't land anybody. Then Gift kicked on and he tried to big note himself for his role in developing the team. Also tried to play some funny games in the media with opposition CEOs and it burnt us most of the time.

Masked Eagle said:
I think he was over rated. When we had some funds available after Ben Kennedy retired and we chased about every off contract backrower in the game and he couldn't land anybody. Then Gift kicked on and he tried to big note himself for his role in developing the team. Also tried to play some funny games in the media with opposition CEOs and it burnt us most of the time.

My understanding is that Hasler and Cleal were responsible for player signings then and that it has only changed recently when Perry came on board.

Mayer must have been doing something right because we won the comp in 2008 when he was CEO

swoop said:
Time will tell if he is great CEO or a myth.

I reckon its probably somewhere in between. Winning a comp is a collective effort. Everyone played a role, yet everyone claims the credit individually when it suits them. I suspect he played a good part in a good team effort, as did des, crusher, tooves, the players etc etc

You dont make beer without hopps but dont give me hopps on a friday arvo and expect me to be quenched

Wasn't his last big signing Israel Folau ? That's worked out well.

Masked Eagle said:

I think you made that up.

Chip and Chase said:
Wasn't his last big signing Israel Folau ? That's worked out well.

Nah, that was more a recruitment out of AFL HQ and negotiated with Sheedy for publicity. Grant would have not been given the choice to accept it, or not.

Volley said:
Masked Eagle said:

I think you made that up.

What that Mayer talked himself up? Absolutely he did.

Anecdotally, I've heard that behind the scenes he is a nasty piece of work. His time at Manly was characterised by 'I put the air in the football' type stuff.

Will be interesting to see how long he lasts at Tigerpie Town.

Phantar said:
Anecdotally, I've heard that behind the scenes he is a nasty piece of work. His time at Manly was characterised by 'I put the air in the football' type stuff.

and dont forget,he was the one that denied Beaver his swangsong as well

Good to see factions are alive and well even three years after a guy has left

master blaster said:
Phantar said:

Incorrect. That was Desmond Hasler

Reading isn't a strong point of some posters in this thread. The role like the GWs role is a commercial role not football department role.

The dealings with Mayer I had were average. He got in with Zorba and Ritchie and used media to push himself and bag others. Delmege was a good example.
In the end if he had stuck to his job and not played politics he may of stayed.
For me as a sponsor and talking to those in office, I rate Perry well ahead of Mayer as a bloke and as a manager. maybe he has learnt from his mistakes.
Good luck Grant and good luck to the tigers.

master blaster said:
Phantar said:

Yep, he also forced Fatty to go the Roosters, and didn't do enough to re-sign Fulton.

Making up stories is pretty fun, I might do it more often.

Volley said:
master blaster said:
Phantar said:

Yep, he also forced Fatty to go the Roosters, and didn't do enough to re-sign Fulton.

Making up stories is pretty fun, I might do it more often.

I'm pretty sure he was involved in that stuff up with Wally O'Connell's eligibility when he mis-interpreted the district rule. Left him off the field for 12 months during his prime. Bastard....

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6