Gould On Wrestling - Rates Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
Wrestling-obsessed teams a long way from Manly
Phil Gould | September 8, 2008

LEAGUE fans - stand by for wrestlemania. That's it folks; we now spend the next month working out which team has the best wrestling technique in the NRL.

Big matches these days all come down to the wrestle. You must win the wrestle. Football skill and tactics take a back seat to slowing the play-the-ball and stifling your opponent out of the contest.

Traditionally, referees reduce their penalty counts at this time of year as they look to make themselves less conspicuous.

Coaches sense the change of attitude from the whistleblowers and start to push the boundaries of what is legal and what is necessary to win.

As the games become more important, the wrestling becomes more prominent.

On Friday night, frustrated Newcastle coach Brian Smith claimed the Broncos had dealt his men "the slowest game of football that we have played in this year … it was pathetic at times, just the length of time it took for the play-the-ball to take place."

Just 24 hours later, Cowboys coach Ian Millward went out of his way to accuse Cronulla of illegal stalling tactics in the play-the-ball. "The amount of times they weren't pretty in the play-the-ball, especially hands on the ball, squeezing and spoiling, was incredible," he said.

Sharks coach Ricky Stuart responded in his usual "thou shalt not criticise me" manner by saying his rival was "not the full quid". Let me tell you, coach Millward is more than a full quid. More like a crisp new $100 bill.

The winner of this year's premiership will come from the top three teams: the Storm, the Sea Eagles or the Sharks. They have been the best sides all year, and two of the three will be there on grand final day.

Defence will hold pride of place, and there's no defence these days without the dreaded wrestle.

When it comes to the art of wrestling, the Storm wear the bulk of the criticism. There's no doubt they've mastered the art of tying up an opponent and restricting their attacking flow. However, the fact they score so many tries with their well-constructed attack means not all their success can be attributed simply to their Greco-Roman tackling styles.

The Sharks are regarded by all as the undisputed kings of wrestle-mania. This team had scored fewer tries than any other team coming into round 26, yet shared the lead in the competition with the two teams who regularly score the most tries.

Ten of their 17 wins this season have been by six points or fewer. This shows great attitude and grit, but also highlights how they strangle the life out of most games with their boa constrictor tactics.

NRL coaches point to statistics showing the Sharks make more three- and four-man tackles than any team in the competition.

The key to the gang tackle is the way they meticulously peel off the tackled player one at a time, rather than two at a time, as stipulated by the referees at the start of the season. Every fraction of a second they can add to the play-the-ball, gives them more time to reset their defensive line and rush on the next play.

Manly have scored a whopping 118 tries this season, and rely far less on the wrestle than other teams. They have great hitting technique and really back their ability to dominate without gang tackles. They also put most of their energy into the reset and coming forward as quickly as possible.

Manly forwards also have a great ability to find their feet quickly after the collision, and a couple of them can actually put a ball-carrier to the ground while remaining on their own feet. It's quite a skill.

Of the three top teams, Manly are probably more deserving of a premiership given the fact they actually try to out-play their opponents rather than out-wrestle them.

Those teams outside the top three will require a crash course with the judo instructors if they are to compete for the major prize.

My money, though, is on the teams who have practised the art all season.

NRL coaches point to statistics showing the Sharks make more three- and four-man tackles than any team in the competition.

The key to the gang tackle is the way they meticulously peel off the tackled player one at a time, rather than two at a time, as stipulated by the referees at the start of the season. Every fraction of a second they can add to the play-the-ball, gives them more time to reset their defensive line and rush on the next play.

Manly have scored a whopping 118 tries this season, and rely far less on the wrestle than other teams. They have great hitting technique and really back their ability to dominate without gang tackles. They also put most of their energy into the reset and coming forward as quickly as possible.

Manly forwards also have a great ability to find their feet quickly after the collision, and a couple of them can actually put a ball-carrier to the ground while remaining on their own feet. It's quite a skill.

Of the three top teams, Manly are probably more deserving of a premiership given the fact they actually try to out-play their opponents rather than out-wrestle them.

Those teams outside the top three will require a crash course with the judo instructors if they are to compete for the major prize.

My money, though, is on the teams who have practised the art all season.

Interesting comments by Gus, maybe he has thrown some cash on us this season

He's not really saying we are favourites, just that in his opinion of how football should be played, we deserve it the most.

I think this article is more along the lines of him still holds a grudge against Stuart and will take a swipe in every way and with every chance he gets.

I've been listening to gus on triple m when they call the games on monday night

Believe it or not he has been giving manly big raps of late. I think the manly storm game really turned his opinion he also said that manly were the better team out the two.

He's still a ****head though.

Could have done with some of those wrestling skills near the line on Saturday night.  Menzies especially needs a skills update.

I have always liked Gus' input, even if I don't agree with him. Unlike many of the dopes in the media, he actually is a thinker about the game.

While I don't always agree with him I don’t think he's pushing anyone else's agenda these days other than his own, which make him very unique amongst the media at present.

"Traditionally, referees reduce their penalty counts at this time of year as they look to make themselves less conspicuous."

This is the problem, the Storm will get away with blue murder in the ruck, Cameron Smith will be playing like a quarterback out of dummy half, and they will walk off the mark every play the ball to take the markers out of play. There isn't a ref with enough balls to assert their authority during the semis and I'm afraid that some of the games will be a farce as far as the officiating is concerned. Let's just hope we don't get Archer for any of our games.

I thought Penrith got away with murder in the ruck on Saturday night. I just hope the refs adjudicate the rule of  the game and we will be okay.

Yeah its rediculous isn't it. You see a bloke stand up to play the ball, takes two steps to the side, two steps forwards and plays it. The dummy half runs straight into the markers who haven't moved from where the initial tackle was made and they call a penalty against the markers not standing square.

"But he walked off the mark"

"Yeah, and i reduced the 10. You still weren't square"

yeah the "I reduced the 10" is a joke.

Why they changed the rules around the ruck is beyond me, I reckon you should still be able to bring your knee up into the guys head

The forward passes that Smith got a way with infuriate me as well as the walking of the mark.  Why don't they pull these up?  Fools all.

Storm or Broncos to win it this year.  A News Ltd Darling to win the most important grand final for the next 100 years... 

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6