Got asked an interesting question at work today....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagles2win

Bencher
One of the guy's I work with only just found out I go for Manly and asked me this....

What would it have taken to have the Northern Eagles (yeah yeah I know it's not Manly etc) work?

Basically told him if they got rid of the North Sydney board and it might have stood a better chance of working

The merger would have worked if it was Manly only without the backstabbers from Norths who undermined from Day 1.

In reality it was ill-conceived and did not work.

Like i said in a previous post

Our merger was like having sex with your cousin

It may "work" but that doesnt mean you should do it

A foundation club and a club as proud as ours should never
willingly join a merger,Wests will always be the only real
JV because they were close in all ways,similar area,similar
structures and mindset,also Balmain believed they could also
use the "Fibro" tag

With Saints,Illawarra brings the juniors,Saints bring the cash
which is why they worked

The Sea eagles felt sorry for the bears and offered them a lifeline
that the bears bigwigs were to proud to really take properly

if they had of been able to keep their best 25 players from both clubs

players were shed to ensure clubs like the tigers got stronger

I was flithy blokes like hoppa,hill, collela, seers and serdaris never got a look in

Northern Phoenix as a name?
M-WRLC said no
Buy Bluetongue,bears said they would,never did it
It was a cluster**** of an idea thrown together to
benefit the north sydney  bears,we met the criteria
alone,we did not need to merge,read the history

Ant80 link said:
One of the guy's I work with only just found out I go for Manly and asked me this....

What would it have taken to have the Northern Eagles (yeah yeah I know it's not Manly etc) work?

Basically told him if they got rid of the North Sydney board and it might have stood a better chance of working

Replace "board" with Bears in your last para and I think you would be closer to the mark for me personally.

But personally I thought the Wests Tigers was a joke too and that seems to have worked.

So assuming the NEs could have actually worked, my recollection is that it was the signing of Brett Kimmorley and the release of Matt Orford which led to even poorer on field performances, which led to Board unrest, which led to Mark Cannon's crazy ideas, which led to Manly wanting to go it alone, which led to Max putting money in, which led to the rebirth of the mighty Manly Warringah Sea Eagles.

If any one of those things didn't happen we might still be the Northern Eagles.  So next time you see Brett Kimmorley in the street don't forget to thank him.

Shane link said:

You would know. 

If des was coach rather than Peter Sharp the merger probably would have succeded.  Sharp got rid of a lot of good players and kept ones whose heart wasn't in it.

tookey link said:
[quote author=Shane link=topic=186357.msg314005#msg314005 date=1296558103]

You would know. 

If des was coach rather than Peter Sharp the merger probably would have succeded.  Sharp got rid of a lot of good players and kept ones whose heart wasn't in it.
[/quote]

Aww thats low but about the same height as your brow so its fair i guess for someone of your stature

MadMarcus link said:
led to Mark Cannon's crazy ideas.
I went to high school with Cannon, he was a few years older than me.

He repeated year 12 to have a better chance of making representitive teams and bullied me into going to the canteen for him once :)

Utility Player link said:
[quote author=MadMarcus link=topic=186357.msg314017#msg314017 date=1296562549]
led to Mark Cannon's crazy ideas.
I went to high school with Cannon, he was a few years older than me.

He repeated year 12 to have a better chance of making representitive teams and bullied me into going to the canteen for him once :)

[/quote]
Did you spit inot his pie?

It could have worked if the following had happened:
1. A simple jersey of maroon and black, not the ridiculous maroon white red black atrocity.
2. Removing gosford from the equation. Playing half the games at brookie and half at north Sydney oval. The gosford connection put many manly fans offside and stopped any hope of consolidating the northside of Sydney behind the team. Norths were pursuing gosford as their hope of avoiding the criteria for Sydney metro teams. It failed as the nrl continued to treat them as a Sydney club anyway.
3. Promoting the merger as a reunion of 2 clubs that split in 1947. Marketing this as a celebration of northside heritage.
4. Not appointing sharp as coach.
5. An acknowledgement from norths that they were broke.
6. Only having one reserve grade team instead of 2.
7. A whole new board which could rise above petty party lines. Cannon seemed to be a wrecking ball, but I am sure there would have been an equivalent for manly.
8. A strategy to consolidate the northside rather than expanding to gosford. I remember Ian Thomson saying there was very little interest from bread and butter minor sponsors on the central coast. Compare this with dozens of brookie panelbeaters, car yards, small businesses which kick in small amounts of money and lots of goodwill in terms of promotion etc.

It could have worked.

with the personnel we had . i dont knw how we finished so  low in them NE days , so i would have to say SHARPE was the reason , he is a **** coach..

The only way any merger can work is if its fans are immoral sellouts or easily led simpletons.

Obviously these people exist as all three mergers had/have their supporters. We were just lucky that Manly & Norths didn't have enough of these people to allow the brand to grow.

Shoe1 link said:
It could have worked if the following had happened:

Removing gosford from the equation. Playing half the games at brookie and half at north Sydney oval. The gosford connection put many manly fans offside and stopped any hope of consolidating the northside of Sydney behind the team. Norths were pursuing gosford as their hope of avoiding the criteria for Sydney metro teams. It failed as the nrl continued to treat them as a Sydney club anyway.

Promoting the merger as a reunion of 2 clubs that split in 1947.

Marketing this as a celebration of northside heritage.

A strategy to consolidate the northside rather than expanding to gosford. I remember Ian Thomson saying there was very little interest from bread and butter minor sponsors on the central coast. Compare this with dozens of brookie panelbeaters, car yards, small businesses which kick in small amounts of money and lots of goodwill in terms of promotion etc.

It could have worked.

The key here is not to have gone to Gosford.

I have said it before and I'll say it again, I live in Gosford and an NRL team will not work here.....period.

95% of the residents of the Central Coast are refugees from Sydney and they bring with them a passionate attachment to a Sydney based team. I employ 18 people here and every Sydney club has a passionate supporter among them. I have asked each and every one, would they switch to a Central Coast team and to a man they said emphatically no.

I hear you saying it will be the next generation. I, like all sensible men made it my key mission in my sons upbringing to brainwash him to be a Manly fan. I succeeded in that as did all of my mates in similar positions.

A Central Coast based team is doomed to failure!

Central coast people will support a team in their area very quickly but only if it is sucessful and doesn't have any ties to a current or ex-sydney club. 

I cannot see CC bears team suceeding.  However a sole CC team will never get the corporate support to survive in the NRL and hence why they will not be granted a licence.

The next team will be from a second brisbane team, Adelaide or Perth where corporate support is sufficient to support a team.

Maybe Lowe should approach Mortgage house and get them on board as major sponsor with Manly seeing that CC bears won't get a team on the NRL any time soon.

tookey link said:
Maybe Lowe should approach Mortgage house and get them on board as major sponsor with Manly seeing that CC bears won't get a team on the NRL any time soon.

Good idea.

But I see the likely scenario being something like .... Mortgage House = Joel Monaghan, and the Bears Board = the Dog.  :-\

For Mortgage House to be sponsoring a team that doesn't exist, it's more involved than just pure marketing.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6