'Gorgeous' George Rose

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

On The Hill

Rookie
“Gorgeous” George Rose
Born: 13 March 1983
Weight: 128 kgs
Height: 188 cm
Games: 149

“Gorgeous” George Rose is amoung the game’s biggest and most loved characters. While his career has spanned the Roosters (2004-5), Storm (2014) and Dragons (2015) he is best known for his rampaging charges up front with the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles (2006-13)
george-rose-08.jpg
His burley physique has largely disappeared from the NRL. "The thing is for me is that I've always been a footballer. I've never been an athlete. I just play footy, I love playing footy" says George. Why has he become a cult figure? "I reckon they look at me, and then they look down at themselves and think, 'That's me out there on the field. Why am I not out there?”

His peers love to play with him, and note that he’s often underrated. He was voted Manly’s player-of-the-year in their troubled 2009 season. While injury cruelly denied him grand finals in both 2007 and 2008, he went on to win the World Club Challenge and Prime Minister’s 11 test against New Guinea in 2009.

Although listed at 116Kg with the Storm (after a brutal pre-season shed 8Kg) he’ll quietly admit to fluctuating above 120Kg. When asked about the peptide scandal confronting the league in 2014, he replied, “Unless there is something wrong with KFC chicken, I'm pretty sweet."

George is a proud indigenous Australian, and featured prominently in the Indigenous Dreamtime Team (Vs NZ Maori 2008) and Indigenous All-stars franchise (2010-13 and in a man-of-the-match performance in 2015)

A Bathurst Penguins junior, George shares the name of his father ( who passed away when he was nine ) and grandfather and is one of 3 brothers raised by their mother Cherie.

George showed great courage to overcome a debilitating leg injury suffered in the round 11 clash with the Storm in 2007 that many thought would end his career. His big heart is legendary.

"He's a funny character and has always got the humour going," notes Jamie Lyon said. "You've got to have that”. On joining the Storm, Craig Bellamy echoed this. "We're losing two pretty big characters in our club with Brett Finch and Jason Ryles retiring," Bellamy said "And characters are what make footy clubs. You need those guys and I reckon George might just be able to offer us some of that special character we'll need next year. We reckon we’re getting a pretty good footy player, too".

He was actually off-contract after the grand final win in 2011, before signing a final 2 year deal. "It's pretty much a home for me, Manly, and it's the place that I always wanted to stay, even before we won the Grand Final,'' Rose said. By August 2013, he was quoted "getting the vibe" Manly would not re-sign him. He played with tremendous impact regardless. In the preliminary final against the Rabbitoh’s, in just 28 minutes on the field he delivered 10 charges for 98m with five tackle busts and eight tackles.

After battling home sickness (and reportedly the Melbourne conditioning staff) in 2014, George is currently on a 1 year deal with St George.

Gorgeous George remain one of the NRL’s best-loved characters. Some lament that when he does finally hang up the boots, his big-hearted approach, and old-school physique may be lost to the game forever

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4