Gordon Tallis hands Darius Boyd a brutal reality check

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
‘A kick in the belly for all Australians’: Tallis hands Darius Boyd a brutal reality check

Broncos great Gorden Tallis has slammed players who are complaining about having to move interstate to restart the NRL.

Non-NSW clubs are facing the prospect of having to relocate to Sydney as the NRL targets a restart date of May 28.

But that hasn’t gone down with some players, who have voiced their concern about the proposal.

Cameron Smith has spoken out in the past, while Darius Boyd said he would rather quit the sport than move from his Brisbane home and be away from his family.

Boyd said: “No chance in hell I could do four months away from my family and that’s something I wouldn’t be OK with.”

Tallis, however, countered that saying players were lucky to play the game – and still be in a job.

Click here to continue reading.

Can’t stand tallis but with him on this, some of those players need to harden up, as tallis pointed out, thousands of people have lost their jobs. Thousands of people have to regularly leave their families to find work, and these princesses are complaining about relocating for a couple of months - boo hoo Darius, where else would you be earning $800k a year

Whilst Darius son of Wayne is entitled to his own actions ... going public with them is just childish an unprofessional ... if he genuinely is unable or unwilling to be apart from his family for mental health reasons, he should have approached the club privately and made his arrangements with them ..

As a former captain and senior player ... to whinge publicly and put doubt in the minds of his playing squad is unacceptable in a team game ...

If Darius feels that strongly about and is talking about retiring over it then thats up to him, I would think he wouldn't get paid if he retires.
He should know he will probably only earn about 10% of what he is on now if he goes down that path and finds a job.

I'm lucky to be working as usual through this, if I felt there was a unacceptable risk going to work I could also resign but would struggle finding a job.

Was no need to go public but it still would of come out anyway if he resigned.

Tallis is a boofhead, but strangely he makes sense sometimes.

I really don't know why Boyd is complaining. Fact is that he really should have retired at the end of 2018 or 2019 anyway and truth be told he's only still there because Seibold didn't have the guts to tell him that he was done.

Nothing story imo, just clickbait.
Tallis works in the media now and NR news sells.

Darius is going to retire at the end of this season (when/if it starts) and is probably only playing on due to contractual obligations anyway.
It will probably cost him 9/10ths of fa to not play a shortened season on reduced dosh.
I think there's history between Tallis and Boyd and any media that can get a Qlder bagging another Qlder is always going to get some traction.
Leaves out any history of mental health issues and imminent retirement.
He also mentioned Cam Smith but that doesn't seem to be as big a clickbait as Darius.

Not saying who's right or wrong or taking sides.

A bigger story would be why is an interstate player is in Sydney when he should be back at home self-isolating as much as possible like the rest of us.

A bigger story would be why is an interstate player is in Sydney when he should be back at home self-isolating as much as possible like the rest of us.

That's what I don't understand about all this right now. We're all supposed to be practicing social distancing etc because of a pandemic. People are getting big fines from the police for things as simple as "non essential travel". State borders are closed and if you cross them you have to self-isolate for 14 days. Yet somehow it will be OK for 16 football teams with 17 players each at a time to play a full contact sport?

Who's running this show, Donald Trump?

I personally think Broncos will play better without him
I think you are right there @maxta
Darius best days are way behind him and he has lost his passion for the game . It was evident the way he has been playing of late
He has been on a good wicket with lucrative contracts and the desire to fire is gone .

If Darius feels that strongly about and is talking about retiring over it then thats up to him, I would think he wouldn't get paid if he retires.
He should know he will probably only earn about 10% of what he is on now if he goes down that path and finds a job.

I'm lucky to be working as usual through this, if I felt there was a unacceptable risk going to work I could also resign but would struggle finding a job.

Was no need to go public but it still would of come out anyway if he resigned.
From what I know of Darius he is well and truly set up for life after footy. I believe he has some investment properties and has done quite well for himself. It is probably an easy choice for him not to play and be with his family if that's how he really feels. I wholeheartedly agree he'd be letting down his teammates but I dont think the financial side of things would alter his stance.

Gordon Tallis once won me over when he said that Geoff Toovey is the one player he would want in the trenches with him. Here he was as a staunch Queenslander and the one guy he picks out of anyone when backs are to the wall, is our little legend
Agreed, I had forgotten about that comment about Tooves.

Rarely agree with Tallis but on this one I do.

There'll be many younger guys waiting to replace Boyd and would give/do anything to play for the Broncos in the NRL. It's his prerogative, so move on Darius.

I think he just sees this as a way to get paid without having to play again. He is a pussy and has been a liability for 3 years. They will be far better off with the young guys in their ranks.

I think you are right there @maxta
Darius best days are way behind him and he has lost his passion for the game . It was evident the way he has been playing of late
He has been on a good wicket with lucrative contracts and the desire to fire is gone .
Oh I didn’t know Darius had best days.....thought he was overrated & useless most days!

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7