Godinet shines in Manly debut

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mozgrame

Engorged member
When the team sheets came out for Round 1, there was one name in particular, buried in the Intrust Super Premiership lists, that raised a few eyebrows.

Named to start at No.7 for Manly was former Warrior and more recently, Wakefield Wildcat, Pita Godinet.

Most in rugby league land weren't aware the eight-time Samoan Test representative was even back in the country.

He continued to ply his trade in the second tier competition – going well from all reports – until a swathe of injuries at the Sea Eagles saw him thrust into first grade to face the Cowboys at Brookvale Oval in Round 9.

With fellow back-up playmakers Isaac John and Tim Moltzen already ruled out, short term injuries to fullback Brett Stewart (hamstring) and hooker or half Api Koroisau (back) and a longer term ailment to second-choice fullback Tom Trbojevic (ankle) saw coach Trent Barrett forced into a major overhaul.

Regular pivot Dylan Walker was moved to the absent fullback role, but with no other playmakers available, 28-year-old Christchurch product Godinet got his chance. And took it.

Playing second fiddle to senior man Daly Cherry-Evans, Godinet finished the night with 17 tackles, eight runs for 50 metres with four tackle busts and four kicks for 59 metres.

Undoubtedly the highlight reel moment came late in the game when thrust into the unfamiliar fullback role once Walker succumbed to hip and quad concerns. Pushing up on a Siosaia Vave offload he streaked into a gap, passed to a supporting Jake Trbojevic then raced through to ground the lock's grubber kick for his first NRL try in Manly colours

https://www.nrl.com/godinet-shines-in-manly-debut/tabid/10874/newsid/95448/default.aspx

I thought Godinet looked completely out of his depth, too diminutive (got steam rolled by The Cowboys players). They are clutching at straws and looking for positives to deflect criticism.

Being excuse makers was never the make-up for a strong Manly team and culture.

This reeks of St George, and their culture of looking for positives in a basket of turd.

He's a little bloke with a big heart. I got a bit of a fright at the end there last night when Jason Taumalolo, looking more like a real cowboy than ever, grabbed Pita and slung him back towards our try line. He almost cracked him like a whip!

He's a tough bugger, Pita. I think he may see more top grade this year.

He's a little bloke with a big heart. I got a bit of a fright at the end there last night when Jason Taumalolo, looking more like a real cowboy than ever, grabbed Pita and slung him back towards our try line. He almost cracked him like a whip!

He's a tough bugger, Pita. I think he may see more top grade this year.

A tough little bugger was Travis Burns (ok, gave away FAR too many penalties), but he'd put anyone, and any sized player on his arse.

I thought Godinet looked completely out of his depth, too diminutive (got steam rolled by The Cowboys players). They are clutching at straws and looking for positives to deflect criticism.

Being excuse makers was never the make-up for a strong Manly team and culture.

This reeks of St George, and their culture of looking for positives in a basket of turd.
Bit tough @Ryan , besides one bad miss on Morgan to let in the try his defence was quite good - he made a few very good tackles that Vossy applauded in the commentary. He filled the role we needed him to play last night, very similar to Littlejohn's few performances for us.

Bit tough @Ryan , besides one bad miss on Morgan to let in the try his defence was quite good - he made a few very good tackles that Vossy applauded in the commentary. He filled the role we needed him to play last night, very similar to Littlejohn's few performances for us.

He only missed 4 tackles, including that shocker. Those other two nuffies from Qld were the other 2 big let downs in defence. DCE missed 4 and Myles missed 5. They were the top of the missed tackles. I'm joking of course. Considering the amount of tackling we did in the first half, it's understandable.

I gave him a point in the MVP, I thought the little guy, considering he was thrust in at the last moment , didn't play that bad.

You cannot say he didn't try hard, he's no superstar but I thought he put in a fair effort last night.

He missed a tackle to let in his opposite number Morgan in for a try then cramped up on our line to let Thurston exploit the hole. Poor Wright had three to mark ... Am I being harsh? I thought he tried hard though

The thing that stood out to me was him staying down stretching him hammies.... Thurston was straight on to it, and went back that way to go in for another 4 pointer

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2