George Rose

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
Just looking for a few thoughts here. I've recently added George Rose to my Twitter list and had a bit of a nasty encounter with him this morning. Happy to acknowledge if I'm in the wrong. It went like this:

He posted a general tweet at 4am which he has now deleted: Scantily clad girls dancin on the bar at trademark. Yeah that's what I call a party.

In the light of all the bad PR that league gets, I replied to him:
That's what I call a player who's learned zero Ive been supporting Manly longer than youve been alive. Pull your head in.

OK I admit it was pretty angry because I was so shocked that these guys learn nothing.

Next he messaged me:
Don't u dare try to talk down to me like that Clearly u don't know me judging by your tweets you're a typical negative opinionated whinger

I couldn't message him back and didn't want a public dispute but I just don't think any footballer from any club should be tweeting in a manner that objectifies women from a bar in the Cross at 4am. I followed poor old George through his great form, his sickening injury, and his very slow recovery. No, I don't know him. But I don't know why these footballers don't understand:
treatment of women
the public face of the game
and the need to be professional.

After what our beautiful Brett Stewart went through, I thought they may have been more aware.

Don't look for a big season from big George this year. Out drinking at 4am? He's not taking his fitness seriously.

Supporter since 1970 - as a nine year old.

Do you have any evidence that he was even drinking?  Players are allowed to have a life.  George will be judged on his performances on the field this year not by going to a bar at 4.00 am. 

Manly players in the 70's and 80's did a lot worse things than look at scantily clad women in bars at the cross.

You obviously also won't remember the players and the car park at di di's years ago.

For a minute there I thought I was going to be a lone voice disagreeing with the original post.

People blow of steam on what we now on a weekend. IS there anything illegal about being in a bar @ 4 in the morning?
Player's these days are a lot better behaved then ones from the past.

i think u should be the bigger man and apologise to georgie, and why would u do it (as a manly supporter :S) in public like honestly ..

Wow. It's the objectifying of women that was my main concern. Problem across all football codes and that sort of description is the first steps toward every other problem with women there is. Fair enough if that's the general opinion. I just think there is still a big problem with the football codes and women and blind supporters contribute as much as anyone.

his latest tweet
http://twitter.com/#!/gorgeousgrose
Nothing beats a run and swim on manly beach of a Sunday morning. Ok so sleep in and breakfast in bed might have. But this is a clear second!

found the girls that went home with him
http://bossip.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/fat_women_bathingsuits.jpg

No doubt Ant80. But it's the players that end up in real trouble. I think there's been the odd example of that recently. Unfortunately it comes with the territory so I think these young men need to be very aware of that. I've zero problem with him enjoying it. It's just the public statement objectifying women that bothers me.

hordernnewt link said:
Wow. It's the objectifying of women that was my main concern. Problem across all football codes and that sort of description is the first steps toward every other problem with women there is. Fair enough if that's the general opinion. I just think there is still a big problem with the football codes and women and blind supporters contribute as much as anyone.

Probably a storm in a teacup.Just wondered what it would have looked like if the "Telecrap" had got hold of it?Also wonder what the reaction of some here would be if it had been slater,smith,inglis etc that had twittered this stuff at 4am!

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
found the girls that went home with him
http://bossip.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/fat_women_bathingsuits.jpg

Breakfast in bed with those 4 and no wonder George doesn't have the energy to play footy on the weekends.  He wouldn't get any of the food.

If I was running the club I wouldn't allow my players to be on facebook twitter and all the other social media crap that is out there designed to trap their naivity.

mickqld link said:
If I was running the club I wouldn't allow my players to be on facebook twitter and all the other social media crap that is out there designed to trap their naivity.
Yep, I'd have to agree with that. It is a tool which can and will be the rising and the fall of a player.

OK i was going to let this go Thur to the keeper but it is one of my pet hates , what would you like these blokes to do stay home all summer , there is not  one bloke and for that matter girls as well that does not love going out and enjoying themselves , we have to remember that these blokes train bloody hard and are getting ready for a season that they might go for months in rehab , or grounded by coaches . blokes should be out and enjoying themselves so long as they don't break any laws good luck to them live life and enjoy it you never know when its all going to be over ......

i follow most of the footballers on twitter and a lot do talk about going out with their friends and having a few drinks.
it's the offseason so they should be able to go and enjoy themselves. but i do understand the points everyone is making.

Hordernnewt, Big George never claimed sainthood.  According to you, he merely twittered appreciation of scantily clad women and then you abused him. Pretty simple scenario really.

You say you're happy to acknowledge if you're in the wrong.  So where's that acknowledgment?

And why post your dispute here on this public forum if you weren't seeking a public dispute?

I think the issue is tweeting one's social life. If George is at the Trademark at 4am do we really need to know about it. I am not sure we really need to know.

I agree with a few others on this thread that twitter will get players into trouble.

The problem with twitter is that at any time 24/7 you can post your thoughts or messages and if they've had a few drinks something that might seem alright to tweet at the time could come back to bite them.

e.g. Look what happened to J Monaghan.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7