[Resurrected] Geoff Toovey would return to Brookvale

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

davohan123

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
THERE is no man on this earth more passionate about Manly than Geoff Toovey.

And right now, the Sea Eagles legend admits he fears for his beloved club’s future.

But rather than sit back and do nothing about it, Toovey has extended an olive branch to the club that sacked him three years ago to make way for Trent Barrett.

Asked by The Daily Telegraph if he would be interested in making a return, Toovey didn’t hesitate: “Of course I would.

“It is the club I have been with for 35 years.

“It has been a big part of my life.”

But in a wide-ranging and heartfelt interview, Toovey also conceded the club had lost its bond with the local community in recent years.

And it reminded him of the dark days of the Northern Eagles.

“You know as well as me, money doesn’t make a club, people make a club,” Toovey said.

“And to be on the outside now, it is hard to see the way the club is going.

“I hate to see the club down on its knees. I hate to see the conflict that has been going on.

“I don’t want to bag the place because I do want to be involved.

“I just want things to be on the right path again.”

Asked if he feared for Manly’s future, Toovey admitted: “Well, yes. I fear that they will either, one, be sold. Or two, people will see an opportunity to relocate and make some money.”

He said Manly now needed to work hard to reconnect with the community, from grassroots, to fans and sponsors.

Not only has the former NRL powerhouse suffered an embarrassing slide down the ladder in recent years, figures show home crowds at Brookvale have also plummeted.

In fact, they dropped by more than 2500 on average this year, and are down almost 40 per cent in the last five years.

“I am involved with the junior football and there is definitely a disconnect between the seniors and juniors,” Toovey continued.

“I know there is disconnect between sponsors and fans.

“We have to try and reignite that community belonging.”

Toovey has received huge support from Manly fans since news of Barrett’s future was made public.

Toovey had a 58 per cent winning record when making the finals in three of his four years as coach, competing in the preliminary final in 2012, the grand final in 2013 and the second week of the play-offs in 2014.

They only finished one point out of the top eight in his final year before he was dumped.

But while almost every coach on the market’s name has been linked to the job in recent weeks, as yet there has been no interest from club officials in relation to one of their favourite sons.

Toovey isn’t the only club legend who has fallen out of favour in recent years.

And it is almost at the point that if something isn’t done now, that bridge to the past may never be mended.

The Sea Eagles are expected to make an announcement in the coming week about who will take over from Barrett.

While Barrett’s assistant John Cartwright is still considered favourite, Jason Taylor contacted The Telegraph and said he was not interested, despite speculation he had thrown his name up for the job.

Taylor said he committed to stay at the Sydney Roosters in 2019 and coach the NSW Cup side at North Sydney.

But Toovey wasn’t too proud to admit he would love to be back at Manly in some capacity.

And he was adamant it was not too late to make Manly great again.

“It is very easy for these things to fall apart but it is terribly difficult to rebuild them again,” Toovey explained.

“I don’t know if you remember but in 2003 after the Northern Eagles we started again.

“And this is where we are back to now.

“It is going to be a long haul to try and get that buy-in by the fans and the community and the sponsors.

“It took us a while to get it back and it took a while to get the right roster to get back up (the NRL ladder).

“It is not panic stations at the moment.

“But it is something that everyone needs to work hard at to achieve.

“It is going to take the same passion and the same pride and the same tenacity to build it again.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/3ff97e00c6623743acbaa6322e13f951

Last edited:
THERE is no man on this earth more passionate about Manly than Geoff Toovey.

And right now, the Sea Eagles legend admits he fears for his beloved club’s future.

But rather than sit back and do nothing about it, Toovey has extended an olive branch to the club that sacked him three years ago to make way for Trent Barrett.

Asked by The Daily Telegraph if he would be interested in making a return, Toovey didn’t hesitate: “Of course I would.

“It is the club I have been with for 35 years.

“It has been a big part of my life.”

But in a wide-ranging and heartfelt interview, Toovey also conceded the club had lost its bond with the local community in recent years.

And it reminded him of the dark days of the Northern Eagles.

“You know as well as me, money doesn’t make a club, people make a club,” Toovey said.

“And to be on the outside now, it is hard to see the way the club is going.

“I hate to see the club down on its knees. I hate to see the conflict that has been going on.

“I don’t want to bag the place because I do want to be involved.

“I just want things to be on the right path again.”

Asked if he feared for Manly’s future, Toovey admitted: “Well, yes. I fear that they will either, one, be sold. Or two, people will see an opportunity to relocate and make some money.”

He said Manly now needed to work hard to reconnect with the community, from grassroots, to fans and sponsors.

Not only has the former NRL powerhouse suffered an embarrassing slide down the ladder in recent years, figures show home crowds at Brookvale have also plummeted.

In fact, they dropped by more than 2500 on average this year, and are down almost 40 per cent in the last five years.

“I am involved with the junior football and there is definitely a disconnect between the seniors and juniors,” Toovey continued.

“I know there is disconnect between sponsors and fans.

“We have to try and reignite that community belonging.”

Toovey has received huge support from Manly fans since news of Barrett’s future was made public.

Toovey had a 58 per cent winning record when making the finals in three of his four years as coach, competing in the preliminary final in 2012, the grand final in 2013 and the second week of the play-offs in 2014.

They only finished one point out of the top eight in his final year before he was dumped.

But while almost every coach on the market’s name has been linked to the job in recent weeks, as yet there has been no interest from club officials in relation to one of their favourite sons.

Toovey isn’t the only club legend who has fallen out of favour in recent years.

And it is almost at the point that if something isn’t done now, that bridge to the past may never be mended.

The Sea Eagles are expected to make an announcement in the coming week about who will take over from Barrett.

While Barrett’s assistant John Cartwright is still considered favourite, Jason Taylor contacted The Telegraph and said he was not interested, despite speculation he had thrown his name up for the job.

Taylor said he committed to stay at the Sydney Roosters in 2019 and coach the NSW Cup side at North Sydney.

But Toovey wasn’t too proud to admit he would love to be back at Manly in some capacity.

And he was adamant it was not too late to make Manly great again.

“It is very easy for these things to fall apart but it is terribly difficult to rebuild them again,” Toovey explained.

“I don’t know if you remember but in 2003 after the Northern Eagles we started again.

“And this is where we are back to now.

“It is going to be a long haul to try and get that buy-in by the fans and the community and the sponsors.

“It took us a while to get it back and it took a while to get the right roster to get back up (the NRL ladder).

“It is not panic stations at the moment.

“But it is something that everyone needs to work hard at to achieve.

“It is going to take the same passion and the same pride and the same tenacity to build it again.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/3ff97e00c6623743acbaa6322e13f951

Isn't this from the same fool that the day before said Toovey will never be coach and Jason Taylor was in the running. Click bait, click bait click bait

Heard Toovey on the radio this morning saying he hasn't been contacted by manly to be coach :( I really hope his lying but I feel like he isn't

Yes I heard Tooves on Triple M this morning and unfortunately he did say he hasn't been contacted. It s seems likely that Cartwright won't be the head coach as they would of appointed him a long time ago. That leaves either Anthony Griffin or Henry to get the job, alothough I did hear on Ch 7 that Hasler's name was mentioned in the mix.

Isn't this from the same fool that the day before said Toovey will never be coach and Jason Taylor was in the running. Click bait, click bait click bait

The same tool just happened to slip into the middle of a paragraph the fact Taylor said he hasn't spoken to Manly and is keen to coach Bear's Reggies .... in other words ... an admission that his article yestrday was just fantasy BS.

But it is a worry when some desperate try hard like Taylor says he would rather coach in reggies than First Grade at Manly ......

No wonder Barrett has said fikk off .....

Heard Toovey on the radio this morning saying he hasn't been contacted by manly to be coach :( I really hope his lying but I feel like he isn't
Jeez, if that's true, I know it's stating the obvious but the Penns suck.

I would love hasler or Toovey ! But the Toovey chances got shut down this morning and I doubt hasler would come to manly without picking his own staff just like Maguire ! I think Henry will be the coach and is the person the club thinks us fans will be happy about

Yes I heard Tooves on Triple M this morning and unfortunately he did say he hasn't been contacted. It s seems likely that Cartwright won't be the head coach as they would of appointed him a long time ago. That leaves either Anthony Griffin or Henry to get the job, alothough I did hear on Ch 7 that Hasler's name was mentioned in the mix.
Griffin or Henry have been appointed which is why AFB wants out perhaps?

Toovey can’t admit publicly that he has been in negotiations. If he did the cat would be out of the bag. Get with the program folks!

Or are we acting credulous to help stop leaks?

I don't think Cartwright or anyone can be announced with Barrett still hanging around like a bad smell.
I think it’s quite clear now he will ( has to be) paid out.

I’d suggest they’ve played the waiting game hoping he was going somewhere else ( to save $$$) but it looks like he’s going to be lining up at Centrelink so they probably don’t have a choice.

I think it’s quite clear now he will ( has to be) paid out.

I’d suggest they’ve played the waiting game hoping he was going somewhere else ( to save $$$) but it looks like he’s going to be lining up at Centrelink so they probably don’t have a choice.
Couldn't the club hire Tooves as a 'Football Manager" or "Coaching co-ordinator" and give him complete power over all coaching staff, without mentioning in his employment contract the words 'Head Coach'? This way he could actually run the First Grade squad and have Twenty in a ball-retriever type role, much the same as they have when warming up on the field before a match.
If Twenty felt he was being usurped then his ego may force him to walk out without payment. If he failed to turn up often enough then this would be grounds for the club sacking him without payment.
I still can't get it in my mind that a football coach - quite frankly a very unimportant role when compared to 'serious' careers - can resign and feel he deserves a full year's salary.
Any other Silvertails posters able to quit their positions and command such an outrageous payout?

Couldn't the club hire Tooves as a 'Football Manager" or "Coaching co-ordinator" and give him complete power over all coaching staff, without mentioning in his employment contract the words 'Head Coach'? This way he could actually run the First Grade squad and have Twenty in a ball-retriever type role, much the same as they have when warming up on the field before a match.
If Twenty felt he was being usurped then his ego may force him to walk out without payment. If he failed to turn up often enough then this would be grounds for the club sacking him without payment.
I still can't get it in my mind that a football coach - quite frankly a very unimportant role when compared to 'serious' careers - can resign and feel he deserves a full year's salary.
Any other Silvertails posters able to quit their positions and command such an outrageous payout?

Contract position , so yes !!

It’s like Australia Post sacking that guy but having to pay him 15 million
( or whatever it was) , that’s because he’s on a contract.

If he’s just an everyday employee it’s the normal pay period notice plus a termination extra depending on how long they’ve been there.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2