[Resurrected] Garrick general news thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If Rueben were a centre, I wonder whether that would be a sweetener for him. Closer to the action, more of a playmaker role. In time maybe similar to Jamie Lyon (I know, not in his class).

Honestly wingers are a dime a dozen, I think Rueben would be a great centre and a potential captain.
Forget where it was but there was a piece a month or 2 back saying wingers are now on big money and centres are not! Interesting, wing has developed into a key position over recent years, especially for starting sets and also the bomb catching. Centres now rarely get space or even one-on-one so elusive centres are a bit of a waste of an elusive player.

Thanks, good on him .. smart boy.

But .. you scared the crap out of me when I saw the thread title .. until I saw it was an old one .
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Lets hope he doesn't fall off a ladder. But then, better that than RSI from playing xbox for hours (or do they play something else now - yeah, I'm old!)

Can’t hate the bloke, he is a personality you can be proud to represent the club. Also whilst he is on good money playing footy taking up an apprenticeship is a really smart move.

I would question the editing at the 1:30 though working near an unprotected edge with no fall protection but let’s hope that doesn’t cause any issues….i mean more issues as it’s still 2022 lol

Knights swoop for Manly’s Reuben Garrick, plot Kalyn Ponga switch​

The latest big move in the NRL transfer market could have big ramifications for two clubs — and a State of Origin star.

Newcastle is pushing for Manly’s Reuben Garrick to be granted an immediate release — a move that would allow Knights superstar Kalyn Ponga to shift directly into the halves.

Garrick, 25, has a contract at Brookvale for next season but the Knights are anxious for the prolific point scorer to play fullback next season.
Should Manly refuse to release Garrick, Newcastle would need to wait until November 1 — next Tuesday — to lodge a formal offer for 2024.
Newcastle has long-term interest in Garrick but the Knights’ interest would wane for 2024 if he’s not released by Manly for 2023.
The Daily Telegraph has been told talks between both clubs over Garrick are continuing.

Newcastle want Ponga in the halves but are unable to complete the switch until the club acquires a first string fullback. That, the club thinks, would be Garrick.

During such an unstable period at the club, Manly may be reluctant to allow crowd favourite Garrick to walk out – thus creating further headlines for the already embattled club.

Manly fullback Tom Trbojevic is recovering well from a season-ending shoulder injury and will certainly be fit and ready for round one next season.

In a text to The Daily Telegraph, Trbojevic wrote: “I am going well and, yes, I will be good to go for round one.”

It remains unknown whether his return will impact Manly’s decision over Garrick, who has ably substituted for Trbojevic in recent years.

Garrick is being paid winger’s money at Manly but could earn considerably more as a fullback.

The Sea Eagles have no immediate plans to release Garrick early but would carefully consider their position should the star player express a strong desire to play fullback.

Garrick won’t play fullback at Brookvale given he is behind Trbojevic with young Kaeo Weekes stamped as a future fullback along with Tolu Koula.

While no offer has been lodged, Manly has plans to extend Garrick.

The Sea Eagles may feel that letting Garrick depart now would leave the club short of depth in the outside backs.

Garrick scored 162 points this year and a stunning 334 points in 2021. He has spoken previously about an aspiration to play fullback.

When asked about playing fullback back in April, Garrick said: “I enjoy it. It’s a bit of a change-up from wing.”

Former Manly coach Des Hasler, when asked about Garrick switching to fullback, said in July: “Obviously Reuben still has that ability, he has that fitness and has that ability to turn up at different parts of the field, which is required of one to do these days (from fullback).”

Manly returns to off-season training in mid-November.

Speculation around Luke Brooks leaving for Newcastle refuses to dissipate despite constant denials by Wests Tigers management.

If sandwich is released. It will be because those incoming are of the view some other player coming in is more important to the team.

No shortage of outside backs in this squad.

But he is a top try scorer. Back up fullback. Goal kicker. Who has taken his opportunity and then some. He's not going to be released lightly.

They had a handy 2nd rower? No, not Barnett, some other guy had a great 2021 but was injured for a lot of 2022, name escapes me just now

The problem I can foresee with Garrick will be when he comes off contract.He’ll no doubt want a pay rise and probably fair enough but does the club want to pay him what he wants?On the off chance that TomT doesn’t get injured again,does the club want to pay overs for a winger?I know there’s no trade set up in the NRL but if they don’t re-sign him because he’s asking too much but keep him next year,they won’t get anything for him.If they release him now with a yr to run on his contract,there’s a bargaining chip they could use to swap with another player

Would prefer we keep Garrick with the eye that him and Koula earn most of the cash from our 2-4 with reliable lower paid players in the other positions.

If he wants to go (and fair enough for the positional switch) please we get either a dom young or klemmer type because he’s about our only quality outside back besides koula.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6