Gap between best and worst…

Bencher
For me, the glaring issue of the 2021 season, was the enormous gap between Manlys best and worst games.

The top teams (Top 3) have closed that gap and it’s why they are consistently better.

Why is the gap between our best and worst so great? Experience? Our backline/backrow are essentially all newbies. Garrick 2nd season. Saab 1st season. Harper 1st season. Schu 1st season. Hamole 1st season. That’s a lot of inexperience for a young side to overcome defensively…
This years experience will do then very well.

What does Manly need to change in 2022 to get our best and worst games closer together?

Bencher
Agree, Batty. If we'd played to the best instead of the worst of our abilities, I'm confident we would have handled the Rabbits. At times this year, we would have beaten anybody. At other times, we struggled to look like a professional footy team.

It's incredibly frustrating, and the more I think about how we continually shot ourselves in the foot against the Bunnies, the more disappointed I am with the performance. These opportunities don't come around often, so when they do, it's important you put your best foot forward. We didn't come anywhere close.

First Grader
What Manly must do is modify their game and learn to win games differently.

This season we easily blew teams away and puts scores on them and struggled against the top teams when that game plan was not as effective.

They need to strike the balance between attack and focus more on defense and aim to look at a 15 points a game conceded rather than 21. That will make our top 4 chances much easier to achieve!

Bencher
Agree, Batty. If we'd played to the best instead of the worst of our abilities, I'm confident we would have handled the Rabbits. At times this year, we would have beaten anybody. At other times, we struggled to look like a professional footy team.

It's incredibly frustrating, and the more I think about how we continually shot ourselves in the foot against the Bunnies, the more disappointed I am with the performance. These opportunities don't come around often, so when they do, it's important you put your best foot forward. We didn't come anywhere close.
I hear you…

Is it fatigue? Once the momentum goes we can’t keep up?
Is it just a head game? As in preparation for games.

There were glimpses this year where (missing in previous years) we looked like we were hitting consistency and for the first time in a while - I almost felt confident in games. But that definitely fell apart.

Too many questions. Experience will help I’m sure.

First Grader
Premium Member
I think the difference between best and worst was with Tom....and without Tom.
The reality of the finals, we tried playing footy that won the average NRL season game and didn't adjust to the tougher, no nonsense finals footy.....the worst performances, I give credit to the opposition coaching of simply bustling us through the middle combined with Manly being uable to adjust to teams who decided to bully us in the ruck.
The 1 game we did stand up was imo our best of the season against the Eels, with the Parra forwards monstered by Keppie and co with their hit man Nathan Brown running for cover in the end....this same Eels side were the only team to really intimidate the Storm pack, yet we bashed them out of the game....we did not replicate this anger in the finals which was imo, the most disappointing part of our finals campaign
I don't feel these games ppl carry on about shutting Tom down and beating Manly, what these coaches done apart from getting numbers on him, was limit his opportunity, which translates to shutting down our middle, which takes away the time and space Tom thrives on.

First Grader
I think the difference between best and worst was with Tom....and without Tom.
The reality of the finals, we tried playing footy that won the average NRL season game and didn't adjust to the tougher, no nonsense finals footy.....the worst performances, I give credit to the opposition coaching of simply bustling us through the middle combined with Manly being uable to adjust to teams who decided to bully us in the ruck.
The 1 game we did stand up was imo our best of the season against the Eels, with the Parra forwards monstered by Keppie and co with their hit man Nathan Brown running for cover in the end....this same Eels side were the only team to really intimidate the Storm pack, yet we bashed them out of the game....we did not replicate this anger in the finals which was imo, the most disappointing part of our finals campaign
I don't feel these games ppl carry on about shutting Tom down and beating Manly, what these coaches done apart from getting numbers on him, was limit his opportunity, which translates to shutting down our middle, which takes away the time and space Tom thrives on.
This ^^^^ x 1000
That Eels game was the pinnacle and what we should have been aiming for in finals.

Sea Eagle Lach
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Comp 2021
Why is the gap between our best and worst so great? Experience?
Yeah. Some young inexperienced players in their first full NRL season, and pretty much a new team due to the number of new players. Provided they bolster the side with a couple of decent additions (which will surely happen) Manly should be a more consistent, more polished and more formidable side next year.
If you liked this year you're going to love next year!

Our best performances occurred when we made few mistakes, which led to better field position and less fatigue....the opposite happened in our worst performances, I don't think rocket science is needed. Our first season guys were definitely feeling the rigors of a long season towards the end too.
Completion rates and discipline are 2 critical areas we need to greatly improve. If you give away cheap ball you will get gassed in return...we did it to many teams this year and the good teams did it to us.

Bencher
As mentioned by Batty, look at how many kids came through in the one team. Sounds like Penrith, develping for the future, we did make the semi finals. Change the centre or centres as can't win the comp with both Harper and Parker. Bullimore coming in with Davey and we will be up there. Fainu must end up hooker to win it as well.

Bencher
Premium Member
Cant beat the top sides with turnstyle centres. Defence wins the big games and we bleed points down our sides. Only Parker is reliable. Suli and Harper very average

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
A lot of rookies don't play a full season in their first year. Id say we seen the "second year syndrome" at the end of this year. They should be fresh and raring to go after another full off season.
Also have to factor in the lack of lower grade football last year for most of the kids - this is their first full year in two years and many of them missed the vital NSW cup stage of their development

Tragic
Tipping Comp 2021
The top sides don't leak points like we have in defence and put themselves under pressure with errors turning over possession when they are already tired from defending long periods. I believe that these issues will be addressed and I'm looking forward to watching the boys enjoy more success next season.

Bencher
Premium Member
Harper's defence over our 2 other possible centres every day. Don't underestimate the covering for Wasaabi that he does as well.
Harper has really been shown up by the big boys in the past couple of weeks. Under pressure, he just didn't cope. If what you say is true, that he is best of the 3, we are in big trouble going forward. We need all round good defense.

Reserve Grader
Hate to say it as I am a big fan, but I think DCE has more overall effect on the team's composure than Tom, and at some big times this year he was more part of the problem. I think at times when we are struggling he tries to go for a one off big play (40/20 or something) and a quick fix, rather than trying to get us back into the grind. A grinding side we aint !

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
24 21 3 499 44
24 21 3 390 44
24 20 4 322 42
24 16 8 252 34
24 16 8 141 34
24 15 9 109 32
24 12 12 -143 26
24 10 14 -3 22
24 10 14 -36 22