Gambling and the NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lsz

First Grader
Staff member
Take aside the gloss of receiving a new jersey for having a gamble on centrebet what is everyone’s thoughts on the increasing prominence of gambling within the NRL?

Understanding that the initial strength of league was licensed clubs etc it is not something that I personally feel comfortable with. Especially the idea of introducing a possible destructive behavior with the simple promise of a jersey (any marketing person worth their salt would have done the sums on an expected uptake of people…)

I am hoping that the new TV deal will help stop the reliance of gambling etc…

Thoughts?

It is no the gambling. I think it is the promotion of it. We are inundated by the odds throughout a game. Kids are sitting there listening to the commentary. It should no tbe that way. If you want a punt then go to the TAB and have abet there.

I agree that the promotion of the gambling to kids is poor form.

However, my general opinion on gambling/poker machines is that every human being makes choices - and if people want to spend their life savings on the pokies then thats their choice. If someone wants to pour all their money into speculative shares and lose it then thats their choice as well. So I don't think gambling's association with sport is 'immoral', because the bettting not forcing anyone to do anything, just like a company putting out a prospectus is not forcing anyone to invest.

All I do wish is that pubs/clubs could find another revenue stream to match that of pokies...nothing worse than a leagues club or a pub that is 90% packed with poker machines.

I personally chose to pay full price (well members discount anyway) for a Jersey to avoid getting an internet betting account. As I was wanting the Away Jersey it worked out much better.

The reason we are getting the promotion of betting is it makes money for the betting agencies, and makes money for the parties promoting this, such the clubs, the NRL, and the broadcasters.

The hard reality is all aspects of the game these days is business, and is run like a business, and hence will take all opportunities to make money.

The new TV deal should make more money for the clubs and the NRL, but it won't make them knock back sponsorship deals.

I don't care.
Where ever we can get the money from is fine by me.

If ciggy companies, breweries & gambling agencies want to put some of their profits back into football, motorsport or different things like music promotion & cultural festivals, they should be allowed to.

Too much of peoiples money gets locked away by rich corporations these days, much of the time due to legislation & society is worse off for it.

B&H used to sponsor the Manly Jazz festival. If they could get that sort of cash these days, it could be much bigger than it is currently.
Drag racing almost went broke when ciggy sponsorship was removed.
The only thing keeping many sports & activities going is gambling & grog money.

What's the point in being here for a long time if you're not having a good time?

Welcome aboard Centrebet.

We've banned advertising alcohol and cigarettes to under 18s and we should do the same with gambling. I can put up with the sponsorship, but the incessant plugging of the odds all the way through the game takes it too far.

Kids need to be given the space to make their own choices when they are ready, not have it rammed down their throats.

If you grew up with a chronic gambler then you would understand the horrific impact it has on family and life. My Granddad was one and the misery it has caused my family couldn't be understood by anyone not in the loop.

I also helped a mate thru Gamblers Anonymous and it is so shattering. These people need so much help. I have read that over 2 million people are affected in some form by chronic gambling. That is 10% of our total population. I also read that 40% of income generated is by problem gamblers.

I toatlly see anyone's point of view about being their "choice" but many people are not wired as perfect as some. It is a horrendous lifestyle. I watched my Grandad cry just before he died to my Mum begging forgiveness and pleading for none of his grandkids to gamble or know that he did. :(
He fought at Gallipoli and my Grandma couldn't remember him crying.

When your kid gets the "discount" from the local club so footy is cheaper just remember one thing, that money has come from someone's misery. You may be able to switch off to the "discount" and probably sums up our morals today. Bugger you, I couldn't care less, it's all about me!

I remember posting this subject a couple of years ago on the MWSE forum and predicting it to be a problem-in-waiting. We have been swamped by it, with many sports, including RL, tainted by gambling influencing the outcome of matches.
Unfortunately, most sports have sold out to the gambling companies, and I think it is too late to recover completely. However, there should be some ban on the media commenting on odds etc. I hate the way the figureheads of gambling organisations are interviewed about what they are betting on etc, legitimising their opinions. I reckon they get more media exposure than most players. This type of PR is filtering through to young males, in particular, who are more likely to become problem gamblers.
Problem gambling does rip families apart, and leads to crime. I hope we can limit the promotion of gambling. Having Centrebet as a sponsor of Manly - and many other clubs, venues etc - is certainly not helping.:mad:

I agree with the plugs during the game - most off putting

It is a tough one as the clubs do not exactly make large amounts of money but there has to be some consequence in regards to how they make it

Darren said:
If you grew up with a chronic gambler then you would understand the horrific impact it has on family and life. My Granddad was one and the misery it has caused my family couldn't be understood by anyone not in the loop.

I also helped a mate thru Gamblers Anonymous and it is so shattering. These people need so much help. I have read that over 2 million people are affected in some form by chronic gambling. That is 10% of our total population. I also read that 40% of income generated is by problem gamblers.

I toatlly see anyone's point of view about being their "choice" but many people are not wired as perfect as some. It is a horrendous lifestyle. I watched my Grandad cry just before he died to my Mum begging forgiveness and pleading for none of his grandkids to gamble or know that he did. :(

When your kid gets the "discount" from the local club so footy is cheaper just remember one thing, that money has come from someone's misery. You may be able to switch off to the "discount" and probably sums up our morals today. Bugger you, I couldn't care less, it's all about me!

Gee Darren, sorry to hear that mate. I guess it's easy for me to be naive about everyone having a 'choice', but I have been lucky enough not to have known someone whith a gambling addiction. I guess it's a bit like those families torn apart by drug addiction - easy to judge when you haven't been affected.

It seems there's really no simple solution and these issues come back to basic human flaws.

Darren's story is truly sad, but I doubt betting agency advertisements make someone with a gambling addiction worse. Disease or not, there has to be some level of accountability for alcoholism, drug addiction, gambling addiction etc, otherwise we'll find ourselves in a society where everything is banned because people can't help themselves.

I'd prefer Manly to be sponsored by Quantum or some other 'do-gooder' company, but its not always that easy. I'm definitely not in favour of the constant odds updates during the games as I think that's taking advertising too far.

The trouble is that almost everything has the potential to hurt people, especially when used beyond an "acceptable" level.

On top of gambling, ciggies & booze you could say that cars manufacturers, junk food producers & internet providers allow people access to products that most can deal with but some can destroy their lives with.
Singling certain things out seems a bit arbitrary to me. Basically the value system that most people have stems from the old puritanical view where our morals were set 100's of years ago. It isn't proof that one thing is good and the other is bad.

Horse racing, dogs and trots were developed for the purpose of gambling. People only go to watch them because they can have a bet. People go to other sports to watch the performances. This has now been hijacked, and if anyone can tell me how the gambling aspect of any sport improves the spectacle "please explain".
We seem to be being enticed to bet on everything, including such vitally important issues such as Government elections.
I'd like to see a return to the days when you could only officially bet on the races/dogs/trot. But, then again, I also live in hope that they get rid of video refs.:mad:

Chronic gambling is a real problem. I wouldn't complain about it sponsoring our sport other than it's continually plugged on the TV broadcasts. Rabbits, Sterlo and the ugly fat guy go on about it all the time. Is it part of their job to push the odds? Maybe it is, although they all go on about the races etc. I can't remember them going on about how you should enjoy a ciggie when it was the Marlboro Cup. My sister was married to a degenerate gambler. Luckily she realized it in time and gave him the shove.

Gambling hey, I have 5 people I know very well that are professional punters and have been for the best part 20 years in most cases.

Its a way of life for me and a great way way to supplement my income in a tax free way. Sure it has its ups and downs but like anything with a bit of homework you can reap some rewards.

206358_10150164334287105_601162104_6973750_4973245_s.jpg

I like betting on the footy. Now C'mon steve matai. First try tomorrow please!!
You can't really see in my pic. This ticket
is a two leg multi. Jarred hayne first try Into Steve Matai first try. $20 @ 169/1 for $3380

tough call, I realise that extra sponsorship is needed, look it won't stop, just that there are some train wrecks from it. Thanks to The Hill, not an easy topic but having someone inyour life it affected changes your view.

Darren said:

Well expressed Darren.

Anyone putting forward those same tired old arguments about personal responsibility, etc clearly hasn't experienced the uncontrolled devastation resulting from an addiction. Those people might get out of their ivory towers and have a look at the real world, where real people's lives are destroyed by their own addictions, or the addictions of someone near them. The tactics of the gambling companies supported by the NRL appear predatory at best.

Rex said:
Darren said:

Well expressed Darren.

Anyone putting forward those same tired old arguments about personal responsibility, etc clearly hasn't experienced the uncontrolled devastation resulting from an addiction. Those people might get out of their ivory towers and have a look at the real world, where real people's lives are destroyed by their own addictions, or the addictions of someone near them. The tactics of the gambling companies supported by the NRL appear predatory at best.

Its still their choice,addiction only needs will power to break,not meaning to be a bastard there Darren,i recently quit smoking cold turkey,you can beat your addictions,also ive cancelled my WoW account in the same time

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6