Galaxy of stars left in limbo

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rambo1987

Bencher
Galaxy of stars left in limbo ADRIAN PROSZENKO
July 11, 2010
.FORTY-TWO players with Test and/or State of Origin experience remain unsigned for next year as the league world awaits the fallout from the Melbourne salary cap investigation.

A total of 108 players are off contract as NRL clubs hold off on the shopping list of talent until Deloitte finally announces its findings this week. Some of the biggest names in rugby league, including Willie Mason, Michael Jennings, Brett Kimmorley, Luke O'Donnell, Ben Hornby, Brett Finch, Steve Matai, Michael Gordon, Frank Pritchard, Carl Webb, Eric Grothe and Mat Rogers are still without a home for next season.

The transfer market has come to a grinding halt as clubs await the outcome of a forensic investigation into the extent of salary cap rorting at the Storm. The lengthy process has clouded the futures of superstars, journeymen and rookies alike. While some players are fretting over their future, that's not the case with Mason. It's understood that the North Queensland forward has received interest from four Sydney clubs - Cronulla, Parramatta, Manly and former club Canterbury - as well as Newcastle and the Warriors. Rugby union is also another option.

''When you're concentrating on playing good footy, everything else will look after itself,'' Mason told The Sun-Herald. ''I haven't played rep football for two years and that has really freshened me up. Hopefully I've changed people's perceptions of me, I've been out of sight and out of mind.

''I don't say too much, just concentrate on my footy. I can handle the pressure on me, I backed myself to sign a one-year deal and I'm pretty confident things will sort something.

''I'd give North Queensland first option because they have shown me respect and given me a chance, but if things don't work out I could come back to Sydney. I've grown up a lot here and I still think my best football is in front of me.''

While Mason is happy to bide his time, it's a more anxious wait for other players. Wests Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys reflected the mood of many clubs when he said: ''We are waiting for the Melbourne issue to clear because that will prompt some movement, you would think.''

There are also a number of players who are not on the official free-agent list but could move on from their clubs. For instance, Blake Ferguson will activate a get-out clause in his contract that allows him to follow coach Ricky Stuart out of Cronulla at the end of the season. Former Kangaroos back-rower Anthony Tupou has the same clause in his deal but is likely to stay put.

At the Bulldogs, captain Andrew Ryan and fullback Luke Patten are contracted for 2011, but the club has given the veterans permission to explore options overseas as a reward for loyal service. There could also be several players returning to Australia from the Super League, with the likes of Mark Riddell, Paul Whatuira and Steve Bell set to hit the open market.

Another former Australian forward, Reni Maitua, is expected to make his return to the NRL next May after he finishes serving a two-year drug ban. The 28-year-old has several clubs prepared to offer him a lifeline.

Several NRL clubs have been circling the Storm's Jeff Lima but the Kiwi prop is close to securing a deal overseas. Several other players - including Brett White, Anthony Quinn, Ryan Hoffman and Sika Manu - are among a group who have been given permission to leave or have been offered contracts from rival teams.

While most clubs have put off their recruitment plans until the findings of Deloitte's forensic investigation is complete, one leading manager warned that strategy could backfire.

''The only ones waiting for the Storm stuff to settle are the clubs which aren't proactive,'' he said. ''They're the ones that are looking for a bargain but end up paying overs.''

Of most interest to NRL clubs is the fate of Melbourne's ''big four'' - Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk, Cameron Smith and Greg Inglis. The vultures are circling in the hope that the club will have to shed at least one of the stars to fit under the cap next year.

Odonell could have already been a sea eagle. We chased him 2-3 yrs ago, like we did with the dragqueens backrower that can only run at outside backs to make an impact.
Bell would be just about ready for the retirement village me thinks.

Jennings would be a great buy and I'd also splurge out on Cronk.

We need hard young forwards. Kite Perry Galuvao Cross Bailey need to go and replace them with tough forwards in their mid 20's. We need speed in the backs Matai and Lyon are too slow in the centers. Lyon needs to go back to 5/8th and we need speed in the centers and on the wings.I am afraid as hard as Robbo tries and he has guts but he has no speed neither does T-Rex. He needs to shift to the forwards Robbo needs to go.

Mason-hell no!
O'Donell, as long as he brings his anger management medication with him.
Cronk,definately.
From that list I'd love to see Jennings at Manly.

mickqld link said:
We need hard young forwards. Kite Perry Galuvao Cross Bailey need to go and replace them with tough forwards in their mid 20's. We need speed in the backs Matai and Lyon are too slow in the centers. Lyon needs to go back to 5/8th and we need speed in the centers and on the wings.I am afraid as hard as Robbo tries and he has guts but he has no speed neither does T-Rex. He needs to shift to the forwards Robbo needs to go.

I actually said to the group of Manly fans last night that I didn't get their love affair for Robbo. Maybe I am not just a 'true supporter' or I have not played at the 'highest level' but I certainly don't feel all of the love.

We were also discussing why would the club get rid of Hargreaves citing a lack of funds and then sign Galavao and Matt Cross? If we didn't sign these two, we could have kept him.

JWH is a pretender getting massive overs at the moment, much like Hodkinson will be next season

I am not upset at all we didn't pay big money to keep him, yet to see him perform at NRL level

Kiwi Eagle link said:
JWH is a pretender getting massive overs at the moment, much like Hodkinson will be next season

I am not upset at all we didn't pay big money to keep him, yet to see him perform at NRL level

Well, that is my point. I am yet to see Matt Cross or galavao perform yet. At least Hargreaves is young.

Have you been watching The Roosters games mate? JWH is playing VERY well....who are in 4th position by the way???

I know you were talking to Kiwi but I have been watching the Roosters. Let me just say that JWH has been going better than Galavao and Cross. Not setting the world on fire but going better than the two mentioned above...

Ryan link said:
Have you been watching The Roosters games mate? JWH is playing VERY well....who are in 4th position by the way???

Yeah mate I watch most games each weekend. I don't rate him defensively at all. Running the ball is going ok, but not the impact I guess I expected after all the hype

I was massively impressed with him in the black jersey last year, but at NRL level I am just not feeling it. I am not that upset we didn't pay overs for him and possibly cost ourselves Foran or Lussick

We were also discussing why would the club get rid of Hargreaves citing a lack of funds and then sign Galavao and Matt Cross? If we didn't sign these two, we could have kept him.
[/quote]

I heard the club was happy to let JWH go because they thought they had Sam Burgess all but secured.

yep true Bones
Burgess had agreed to terms with Manly via a phone convo but Crowe stepped in (prob offered him money thru his mum)

Bones link said:

I heard the club was happy to let JWH go because they thought they had Sam Burgess all but secured.
[/quote]

And this is exactly what is wrong with Manly.
Management incompetence is costing us big time. So who do they think they have bought this year to justify losing Lami Tasi ?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6