Funny stories and amusing anecdotes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The mark gasnier one always gets me and that guy who tried to bash mitchell Pearce hahaha and was butt naked with a butter knife LOL craig something i think. Then there's the one about the guy who jumped off a fairy and swam to shore.. cant remember there names. Nate myles pooing in a shoe is always a good laugh.

I had a mate who's old man was a WW2 spitfire pilot. I was invited to dinner at his place and his dad who was pissed and a bit of a blowhard was telling us about his good mate Douglas Bader, old Ten Legs. I said you don't sound like much of a mate calling him that. He said "Old Tin Legs, you idiot" I said " **** you" and the evening drew to a awkward conclusion.

I had a mate who's old man was a WW2 spitfire pilot. I was invited to dinner at his place and his dad who was pissed and a bit of a blowhard was telling us about his good mate Douglas Bader, old Ten Legs. I said you don't sound like much of a mate calling him that. He said "Old Tin Legs, you idiot" I said " **** you" and the evening drew to a awkward conclusion.

Bader ended up being a pretty good golfer as he had to get his balance just right otherwise - over he'd go.

Don’t know if many know of this one but it sprung to mind when I was reading Ellas thread about the houses. Read Ridges biography and he tells the story about Tooves being quite a standoffish cat early on. The type of guy u had to earn his respect perhaps. Anyway it was Tooves 21st birthday party upcoming and after training One day he was handing out invitations. Going down the line of players proceeding to hand out invites to all. “Dessie u free Saturday?”, “Cliffy, see you at 8pm?”, “robbo, come along mate”. He then gets to Ridge holds up an invite looks at him then just passes him by and along down the line. O’Connor, Bella, Franky stokes, Craig Hancock, they all get the invite. Poor old Ridgy didn’t get a start.

I've encountered Tooves a few times over the years - his daughter was at the same primary school as my kids.

I remember him at the school's annual fundraiser trivia night, trying desperately to win a bottle of (I think) port in the coin toss - he was up there for ages on multiple occasions but just couldn't get a gold coin to land on (& stay in) the saucer in front of it.

He must have thrown around $50 in gold coins at it, finally gave up, then a bloke stepped up & landed his first attempt at it @:D

I also used to play futsal in a comp where Gene Ngamu was in one of the teams.

One thing i noticed about both he & Tooves is that they both talk & mutter to themselves - Tooves while on the coin toss, Ngamu while playing futsal.

Just shows you these guys are always thinking, their minds must be turning over at a terrific rate with ideas being formed, processed, accepted or rejected, then acted upon.

He helped get ‘Stuffy’ Dowding (Olivier in ‘The Battle of Britain’) removed as head of Fighter Command in Nov 40.

He became a great mate post-War of Luftwaffe ace Adolf Galland, who Goering had appointed ‘General of Fighters’. So his attempt at humour (with the Germans) was probably just that!

A bit of a long but true story. Cut back to the bones but hope you still get the gist. Names changed to protect the not so innocent.

Went with a mate and both our GF’s to the Central Coast for an overnight stay in the mid/late 60’s. My mate wanted to catch up with a friend and his GF who he hadn’t seen for a while. He had only mentioned his friend’s first name and I was surprised to recognise him when we met. He was a youngish, very talented footballer playing first grade for Western Suburbs (Sydney).

It was a Saturday, so early drinks, dinner and back to the Entrance or Lakes pub (can’t remember which one) where they had a live band and we boxed on until we got chucked out about midnight.

During the evening we talked a fair bit of footy as Wests were playing Manly at Brookvale the next day. The Wests guy (who I will call Magpie) was telling us about his coach (who I will call Ned) and training methods etc. Ned had told the team that to keep their stamina and be game ready they should abstain from sex the night(s) before a game.

He also told them not to sleep on their backs as this often “lead to other things”. (words to this effect) To avoid temptation, he told them to get a cotton reel and some string, put the string through the centre of the reel and then tie the string around their waist. The cotton reel should be positioned in the small of the your back so if you rolled over the reel stuck in your back and removed the urge. (Maybe).

Anyway, we had a great night, magpie & GF were really nice people, plenty to drink, good band etc. Staggered back to where we were staying and eventually called it a night.

Magpie and his GF bolted at sparrow’s the next morning because he had a team run in Sydney before their match at Brookvale.

We ambled back to Sydney when we judged we were sober enough to drive and ended up at Brookvale just before the main game started. Poor Magpie had a shocker, dropped the ball, missed tackles and who knows what else. I think Manly won (can’t remember) and if we didn’t it wasn’t Magpies fault. Did feel for him even though we wanted Manly to win.

Never really figured out what was biggest contributing factor to Magpie’s shocker.

Was it the 15+ schooners, the dancing on the pub tables or that he left his cotton reel at home?

Probably all three or maybe just a crook oyster….

In the late 80's I worked for a company whose marketing manager was Reg Gasnier. I had been to a re-union at a pub in Fairfield and was completely gone when John Raper came up to our group. The pub (Millers) was a dive, but John was saying how he had just bought into it and was going to pull this wall out, put in a better bistro over there etc, etc. A couple of weeks later I was working back late and Reg was staying back as he had a function to go to. He asked me if I wanted to have a few beers in the conference room. Young and nervous as all sh%t, (but trying to impress) I thought I would add to the conversation by saying how I was talking with Raper the other week and he told me about all his plans for his new pub. The most polite and decent guy in the world, Reg looked at me and said "Don't be an idiot son, the bloke is practically my brother and he doesn't have two cents to his name. It's just what he does. Pubs, car yards, tyre stores even baby clothes shops, he puts his name to everything". Even the way Reg told you to pull your head in was polite !

A bit of a long but true story. Cut back to the bones but hope you still get the gist. Names changed to protect the not so innocent.

Went with a mate and both our GF’s to the Central Coast for an overnight stay in the mid/late 60’s. My mate wanted to catch up with a friend and his GF who he hadn’t seen for a while. He had only mentioned his friend’s first name and I was surprised to recognise him when we met. He was a youngish, very talented footballer playing first grade for Western Suburbs (Sydney).

It was a Saturday, so early drinks, dinner and back to the Entrance or Lakes pub (can’t remember which one) where they had a live band and we boxed on until we got chucked out about midnight.

During the evening we talked a fair bit of footy as Wests were playing Manly at Brookvale the next day. The Wests guy (who I will call Magpie) was telling us about his coach (who I will call Ned) and training methods etc. Ned had told the team that to keep their stamina and be game ready they should abstain from sex the night(s) before a game.

He also told them not to sleep on their backs as this often “lead to other things”. (words to this effect) To avoid temptation, he told them to get a cotton reel and some string, put the string through the centre of the reel and then tie the string around their waist. The cotton reel should be positioned in the small of the your back so if you rolled over the reel stuck in your back and removed the urge. (Maybe).

Anyway, we had a great night, magpie & GF were really nice people, plenty to drink, good band etc. Staggered back to where we were staying and eventually called it a night.

Magpie and his GF bolted at sparrow’s the next morning because he had a team run in Sydney before their match at Brookvale.

We ambled back to Sydney when we judged we were sober enough to drive and ended up at Brookvale just before the main game started. Poor Magpie had a shocker, dropped the ball, missed tackles and who knows what else. I think Manly won (can’t remember) and if we didn’t it wasn’t Magpies fault. Did feel for him even though we wanted Manly to win.

Never really figured out what was biggest contributing factor to Magpie’s shocker.

Was it the 15+ schooners, the dancing on the pub tables or that he left his cotton reel at home?

Probably all three or maybe just a crook oyster….

I am skeptical .... you didn't mention the brawl .... never went to the Entrance back in the day and the night didn't end in a pub brawl .... hahah ... (smiley face) ..

I am skeptical .... you didn't mention the brawl .... never went to the Entrance back in the day and the night didn't end in a pub brawl .... hahah ... (smiley face) ..
Yeah, I know what you mean, maybe our girls looked too tuff. Terrigal used to have it's moments as well.

In the late 80's I worked for a company whose marketing manager was Reg Gasnier. I had been to a re-union at a pub in Fairfield and was completely gone when John Raper came up to our group. The pub (Millers) was a dive, but John was saying how he had just bought into it and was going to pull this wall out, put in a better bistro over there etc, etc. A couple of weeks later I was working back late and Reg was staying back as he had a function to go to. He asked me if I wanted to have a few beers in the conference room. Young and nervous as all sh%t, (but trying to impress) I thought I would add to the conversation by saying how I was talking with Raper the other week and he told me about all his plans for his new pub. The most polite and decent guy in the world, Reg looked at me and said "Don't be an idiot son, the bloke is practically my brother and he doesn't have two cents to his name. It's just what he does. Pubs, car yards, tyre stores even baby clothes shops, he puts his name to everything". Even the way Reg told you to pull your head in was polite !

Reminds me of a time when I met Reg Gasnier and he really was a gentleman.

It was at the Manly Leagues, mid 60s, after Manly had their usual thrashing during St.Georges record run. Reg was at the bar with players of both sides and I was introduced to him, with my new fiance, who was from Newcastle.

She promptly asked Reg "and who do you play for Reg?"

By the time I got off the floor where I collapsed in embarrassment, everyone in the group were laughing their heads off, except Reg, who answered quietly, "I was lucky enough to get a game with St.George today love" and gave her a big smile.

He was at that time, captain of both St.George and Australia!

Reminds me of a time when I met Reg Gasnier and he really was a gentleman.

It was at the Manly Leagues, mid 60s, after Manly had their usual thrashing during St.Georges record run. Reg was at the bar with players of both sides and I was introduced to him, with my new fiance, who was from Newcastle.

She promptly asked Reg "and who do you play for Reg?"

By the time I got off the floor where I collapsed in embarrassment, everyone in the group were laughing their heads off, except Reg, who answered quietly, "I was lucky enough to get a game with St.George today love" and gave her a big smile.

He was at that time, captain of both St.George and Australia!

Awesome.

When mrs ge was 'just' engaged to ge we were invited to a hawthorn match at the mcg in their corporate box "the confreres" or something like like.

Anyway, it had past premiers, current pollies, game legends, current players, olympians, tv personalities... everyone - and mrs ge knew none of them, so I had a whole night of what you went through. She had (still has) a funny accent so everyone was happy to help explain the game to her.

From memory it was one of the lowest scoring afl games played. Maybe against Richmond (?) and after the game most of these people were apologising to her for such a bad show while I stood there shaking my head.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7