Frank Winterstein

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Quirkster

The People's Champion
I'm curious as to how he gets picked every week, unless we have no other options.

While we're winning, you don't mess with the team. And with Taupau's form, moving him to the second row so that AFB or Myles can be the other starting prop, could undo the whole temperament of Kapow's game.

I just don't see him doing as much as we want from a starting second rower, far from it. Sirro's not too bad, but Frankenstein doesn't warrant being picked in first grade, in my opinion.

My opinion is always right.

See I'm not so sold on Sirro, I think Frankenstein has been contributing more. But that's just my opinion, not always right.

I'm wondering if Perret can perhaps play an edge or does he struggle laterally ? He might be an option. Lane caused some here minor heart palpitations with one run in Townsville and then hasn't been seen since.

Winterstein against Souths:

5 runs, 25 metres, 1 offload, 13 tackles.

Sironen:

6 runs, 43 metres, 2 offloads, 25 tackles.

Sirro's not burning the house down, but he gives some account of himself in comparison.

However, I've gone back in the stats and found Winterstein has actually been good for the last 4 weeks.

There you go. Opened my mouth and stupidity flowed from it like a waterfall. I'm going to go and sit in the corner like an idiot.

Pull your head in, Quirk.

Winterstein against Souths:

5 runs, 25 metres, 1 offload, 13 tackles.

Sironen:

6 runs, 43 metres, 2 offloads, 25 tackles.

Sirro's not burning the house down, but he gives some account of himself in comparison.

However, I've gone back in the stats and found Winterstein has actually been good for the last 4 weeks.

There you go. Opened my mouth and stupidity flowed from it like a waterfall. I'm going to go and sit in the corner like an idiot.

Pull your head in, Quirk.
A conbined total of 11 runs for 68 m is not impressive whrn we had all that posession.
But hey as long as we winning.

Franky boi would be better coming off the bench imo we need another starting backrower for not only more options but more depth in that position. Get rid of brown

I would like to know the stats on decoy runs?

When we push the ball to the fringes we need players running lines off the passing players.

Wether they get the ball or not is irrelevant as long as they are committing a defendender or putting him in two minds.
I think the days of the metre eating second rowers are done for the time being.

It seems to be working so let's just go with it till we lose.

Then it's time to sack Barrett, Fulton, The Penns,DCE etc...

I would like to know the stats on decoy runs?

When we push the ball to the fringes we need players running lines off the passing players.

Wether they get the ball or not is irrelevant as long as they are committing a defendender or putting him in two minds.
I think the days of the metre eating second rowers are done for the time being.

It seems to be working so let's just go with it till we lose.

Then it's time to sack Barrett, Fulton, The Penns,DCE etc...

Hard running second rowers are still necessary. Unfortunately we have seen the rise of decoy runners as a staple attack by every team, and the fall of genuine ball-players who can put a player through a gap (Long Live King Cliffy. Best player I've ever seen).

However, decoy runners are still the most viable play, which is why everyone still uses them.

We've also stopped the run-around as much, probably because it stopped working and was pretty weak anyway. In the replays I've seen of the 80's, almost no one could defend against a run-around play. It looked like Sterlo took the run-around to staggering heights of mediocrity, which is as high as the run-around goes.

I miss Cliffy.

I watched Frank fairly closely in the souffs game because I think he can be quite destructive and was hoping to see him roll the rabbits

However the way the game flowed as some one has already said when the ball came his side he was more than often used as a decoy or an inside angle back in as a settler to go to ground

Other times he has been used as the receiver and not the decoy with good results

I think TB alters the game plan from left to right and who the decoys are depending on our opposition

There will be times this year when we will be cheering Frankies name after he destroys and edge with his runs and off loads or monsters someone in a tackle on our try line

Come out of the corner quirkster we need ya lol

Frank has been solid.
Stats have shown with the ball Siro has done lot more work as I posted in the stats thread.Not sure about defence
If we want get back to consistent top 4 then we will need more from both our second rowers in particular frank

People look at the lack of metes and complain but it seems Barretts game plan is not to use our second rowers for hit ups, Jorge and Uate are taking that slack

Frank and Sirro seem to be used to shore up our edge defence, run decoys and link play

Seems to be working atm but that said I'd still love Harawira-Naera

That break he made to set up the final try against Canberra (for Tommy T) was awesome. He looks very good as an open-field runner and set up his support player perfectly. Wouldn't hurt to see a little more of that in his game but agree that he has been solid regardless.

People look at the lack of metes and complain but it seems Barretts game plan is not to use our second rowers for hit ups, Jorge and Uate are taking that slack

Frank and Sirro seem to be used to shore up our edge defence, run decoys and link play

Seems to be working atm but that said I'd still love Harawira-Naera
Yes ifit works out then great. I just hope that they can prevent our 6 &7 from having to make too many tackles and be worn out in the back end of the game when we need points.

Winterstien is fit, has size, fast and can play big minutes.
his cover defence is great too. keep him!
And you would think as the season goes on the two second rowers will have match fitness and could potentially lift their workrate in both attack and defending.

Hard running second rowers are still necessary. Unfortunately we have seen the rise of decoy runners as a staple attack by every team, and the fall of genuine ball-players who can put a player through a gap (Long Live King Cliffy. Best player I've ever seen).

However, decoy runners are still the most viable play, which is why everyone still uses them.

We've also stopped the run-around as much, probably because it stopped working and was pretty weak anyway. In the replays I've seen of the 80's, almost no one could defend against a run-around play. It looked like Sterlo took the run-around to staggering heights of mediocrity, which is as high as the run-around goes.

I miss Cliffy.
Here ya go...

cl.JPG

Both players mainly playing in a corridor and running hard straight lines, much straighter than has existed over the last decade.

They are feared decoys because they are running good straight lines at the right time and the first man gets hit often enough to not ignore them.

The inside shoulder of defenders is worried they will get the ball and break through the line, not some lazy ass decoy running that was never going to receive the ball and it was all just for show to pass to a second man deep Brett play.

It is very Melb like how they are being drilled to run that hard line consistently without fail, if they don't do it the hook is feared.(you are not doing your simple uncomplicated job)

Yes the involvement has to increase and shoulder more workload but i think they are being told to keep it simple for now.

Most of the go forward as a percentage of total go forward is from the back 5 these days(for many many years now) just previously we had backrowers that contributed more in this department while at the moment they are both playing as a second option centre in attack.

The 26min spread is how i like my attacking structures set up, Green shortish and flat remaining central, a size forward AFB running straight keeping the inside defenders honest, then a short not overly deep second man play to DCE, Walker staying central lurking around DCE.

Winterstein running that hard straight line keeping another inside shoulder honest with Tom receiving the ball.(with the option to throw a face ball in front of Tom direct to Kelly which has been happening)

(Winterstein making the break against Canberra running a straight line also helped setup this play this week and he has received a few hospital passes in games for the greater good later on)

The ball players receiving the ball short, flat and central with space to put on an elaborate play is the key after a good go forward set--- too often the first receiver is too wide allowing the inside defence to slide and cramp up the tight corridor of predictable runners.

The other positive play i like is players are not in some autopilot mode with the spreads and looking off the inside shoulder as an option----been annoying me for years teams over look the lazy inside defenders like robots programmed to continue going wide.

Redzone attack still needs to improve but this is the hardest area to execute. Manly are more a general play off the back of go forward attack, once the redzone becomes clinical and composed then we will see Manly start racking 5 or more game winning streaks.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6