Forward passes...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Bencher
Sorry, not Manly related, but was just watching the All Blacks demolish the Wallabies (just for something completely different), and the dominant Kiwi's threw a forward pass, and scored a try. It was obvious, and clearly forward, but in the NRL, it would have been let go for them to score a try. Not so, in the game of Rugby Union... The refs took a look at the replay and said, yep, thats forward, so the try was disallowed. How refreshing to see a reasonable application of the rules, even though the ruling was never going to affect the result. The NRL is a total joke and a farce in regard to forward passes. They wont even let the bunker adjudicate on this aspect of the game. How primevil we are in the NRL.

The forward pass situation is just another example of the idiocy of the NRL.
For some reason they allow a ref to make a split-second ruling on forward passes yet they don't allow a Vidiot ref in the comfort of an air-conditioned lounge room/bunker with millions of dollars of technology and a myriad of camera angles to rule on them!
Yet they allow the Vidiot to rule on everything else.

And somewhat ironic given my memory of rugby growing up was that it was much more lenient on forward passes.

Mine as well.

It used to be watch the union, see 20 forward passes let go per game, turn over to the nrl and see passes being thrown backwards and forward passes called forward!

Annoys me how the refs never adjust and always fall for the illusion of the pass and (usually) lower teams cop it.

I mean like Manly on the weekend, whenever a player catches the ball behind him (and in line or even in front of the person passing the ball) then it's automatically offside (gee well explained global)

- Also if the passer gets nailed just after passing the ball, the ball looks to go forward and is called. Yet if the passer keeps running forward, the pass looks ok.

I guess I'm trying to say the refs rule on where the players are, and not what the ball is doing, in those crucial times.

Then again we get ripped off last weekend for a non forward pass, and ripped off when cronulla launch a ball forward to score.

There seems to be a common thread here.

The forward pass situation is just another example of the idiocy of the NRL.

Exactly! Last night near fulltime we saw a Titans defender on the last tackle run straight at the Storm kicker, but at the last moment the TItan turned around so he was butt-first when the ball hit him & went into touch. Who got the scrum feed? Our NRL idiocy saw the officials "not played at!" & gave Titans the feed. You can't run at the ball carrier and somehow not be playing at the ball.

It would be pointless introducing this system in NRL I'm afraid because the refs had 4 days to go over the storm pass that was 2m forward against Manly and as OBVIOUS as a forward pass can be yet declared it a correct call... we should worry about getting honesty and integrity into our refereeing system b4 we worry about giving them more rules to enforce

Most forward passes to the winger are missed as the NRL has the touchie looking along the touchline to see if the winger goes out. The stupidity of that method is the NRL has the touchie doing what a video referee can review, while at the same time the touchie is not looking at what the video referee can't review - a forward pass!

The touchies have two jobs, but can only do one at a time.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6