Former Sea Eagles hardman Owen Cunningham backs 2014 side

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
OWEN Cunningham, one of the toughest players to pull on the Sea Eagles jumper, sees similarities between his 1996 premiership winning side and the current outfit.

He made the observation
menzies_31.jpg
ahead of the Sea Eagles’ big grand final rematch against the Sydney Roosters at Brookvale Oval.

“OJ” was lock in the champion Bob Fulton-coached side that beat St George 20-8 in the grand final 18 years ago.

That side which also included Geoff Toovey, Terry Hill, Matthew Ridge, Daniel Gartner, David Gillespie and Des Hasler, conceded only 34 tries in 24 matches on their way to claiming the title.

And Cunningham, who now runs a service station in Mackay, likes what he sees in the 2014 side.

“I think they are going enormous again and exceeded everyone’s expectations,” he said.

He said after losing some senior players critics wrote them off, but thee have a reputation of getting players to stand up who weren’t performing at other clubs.”

“On their day they look as good as anyone else in the comp,” Cunningham said.

Cunningham said like the 1996 premiers, the current side is well rounded.

“They are strong right across the field and they win without their major players — Glenn Stewart has been out for a while and then someone else steps up to the plate and plays well,” he said.

“They just play an uncompromising brand of footy and it is an exciting brand of footy, they throw the ball around and there is a bit of variation.”

They were also traits that Cunningham’s 1996 team.

“We did pride ourselves on our defence and that certainly won us a lot of games,” he said.

Cunningham said he is a fan of Jamie Buhrer, who has been starting in his old lock position with Stewart out.

“I think Jamie is very underrated and he seems to be back to his form this year,” Cunningham said.

Cunningham can see the influence of his old teammate Toovey in the tough way they play.

“That’s what he was all about and it is ingrained in them,” Cunningham said.

“I think they can win it definitely.”

Jon Geddes
Manly Daily

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/former-sea-eagles-hardman-owen-cunningham-backs-2014-side/story-fngr8iii-1226963961519

it was a shame that he never got to play origin (that coming from a nsw supporter). his best season with manly was when he had agreed to go to super league & it cost him his chance.

A good sign when ex-premiership winning Sea Eagles start talking like this, a quiet confidence must be growing in our camp. OJ was a club stalwart, and I hope Buhrer earns that same accolade one day.

Yeah I loved OJ's work a lot too.

He was whole-hearted and pivotal to our pack in his time.

I had a feeling @castle eagle I'd seen OJ in a QLD jumper... So I checked.

He played a solitary Origin game in '96.

Deserved to play a lot more.

OJ was the starch that held the pack together and let the others shine. Every genuine Premiership contender must have an OJ. There are three from today that spring to my mind with different roles but they do such a huge amount of unheralded work. I'm going for 1. Ballin, 2. Choc, 3. Gift.

castle eagle said:
it was a shame that he never got to play origin (that coming from a nsw supporter). his best season with manly was when he had agreed to go to super league & it cost him his chance.

He did play origin.

I think he won something like 4 most under rated player in the game in RLW in a row. Says just as much as it did for OJ as it did for the players who voted for him!

I thought Buhrer was fantastic on Saturday night. He ran for the most number of metres, not to mention a couple of very crucial tackles that prevented near certain tries. The form continues...

ManlyBacker said:
OJ was the starch that held the pack together and let the others shine. Every genuine Premiership contender must have an OJ. There are three from today that spring to my mind with different roles but they do such a huge amount of unheralded work. I'm going for 1. Ballin, 2. Choc, 3. Gift.
Choc would be the starch, Ballin the glue, and Gift provides the spice. A recipe for success.

Absolute Manly legend. When they talk about Gillmeister and Gillespie they should also include the name Gillcunningham.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8