• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

simon64

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
From all reports his deal with the Scumdogs is all but done.

But then again, Rothtool wrote the article, so frame your own market on it's accuracy.

The story also on Fox News with the obligatory mention of the cap pressure it would create. Doggies never been ones to concern themselves with such details.

I can't even find the words to explain how over folau I am. He is not the new messiah and I just wish he would go away. The only thing you can guarantee he is good at is quitting, his mormon mission, nrl, afl and no doubt aru. Next story.............

Id be p1ssed off if I was Parra, they got shafted by the NRL on Floaus's deal....know its all cute and cozy with the Bulldogs....NO favourites Greenturd, is there

Besides Greendog, they must have some very clever accountants over there, given the money they've outlaid for players in recent years. I wonder if Thurston is still considering an offer to go there too.

Funny when ever we play tea like the dogs and we compare lineups there are few of any players most would swap

What was it someone was saying the other all but 3 (?) of our players have played rep footy?

But somehow they are over the cap, and we are beyond questioning . Face it every team thinks all the other teams are cheating the cap

lsz said:
Funny when ever we play tea like the dogs and we compare lineups there are few of any players most would swap

What was it someone was saying the other all but 3 (?) of our players have played rep footy?

But somehow they are over the cap, and we are beyond questioning . Face it every team thinks all the other teams are cheating the cap

true, but we haven't had to pay 'overs' to keep our stars. some of our players (matai for example) are happy taking less to re-sign than they could get elsewhere.

You'll also find there are more 'active reps' in the Canterbury side than with Manly. And we havent paid a fortune to bring players across to Manly for half a decade.

castle eagle said:
lsz said:

true, but we haven't had to pay 'overs' to keep our stars. some of our players (matai for example) are happy taking less to re-sign than they could get elsewhere.

Take your point however all I am saying is that there is not one fan out there who does not think another club is rorting the system

lsz said:

That was actually me Isz. But the whole story was, with the exception of Lyon and Kite, all became internationals or SOO reps while at Manly.

Further to that, they made their FG debuts at Manly. We develop talent. We don't buy it in which can cost a fair bit more.

Anyway they can do what they like. They'll never be Manly...in more ways than one.

Sure do Simon but when have we ever lost a player that has really kicked on at another club?

Which says to me we retain players at their peak...and possibly the top of their earning potential.

I am not saying we are cheating the cap....just that what we say about other clubs, i am sure they say the same about us

I don't think it matters which fans you ask.

Theirs is the only club not cheating the cap.

Theirs is the only club getting cheated by refs.

Their players are the only ones getting placed on report and copping heavy suspensions.

I just cant see how we have to keep shedding players year after year,when is it going to end,if I recall correctly,wasnt Jamie our last big name player that we signed,our marquee player,all the rest have been fringe players that were unwanted by other clubs

I was not necessarily implying that clubs are rorting the system through my comment about having accountants who were 'very creative'. Clubs need those good accountants always looking at the legal loop holes...its good business. I would suggest though there are ways of stretching the system to its limits and those clubs that are wealthy enough, can still stretch it to their benefit.

Some clubs like Parramatta, have a surfeit of junior playing strength, a huge supporter base, pockets full of money and should be consistently one of the top teams. But it has consistently had poor management, operating on wastage of resources and poor central coaching.

Brisbane were on top for a long time because of Murdock money, huge junior resources and supporter base but intrinsically they had not needed to learn efficiencies and good coaching practises because it was given to them by Murdock and Bennett. Now that Bennett is gone and Murdock money is vanishing, they are having to relearn how to effectively run a football club and have been floundering.

Melbourne, though supported by Murdock money was in fact much more like Sydney City and what Manly has become. With limited junior player resources and support base, they have had to think smart with efficiencies and use an effective coaching system.. Manly and Sydney City have had to learn to limit their spending by looking for the cream of juniors and then through a good coaching structure, develop them to fit their mould.

Canterbury, while Greendog has been there, have become opulent, have a good support base, good management and they have the best of both worlds being able to grab juniors effectively and also continue to be in the market for marquee players. They are very good at stretching the rules of the game.

Souths have relied on Crowe money and enthusiasm. They've always had good junior and supporter bases, now have a good coach, but remain intrinsically unstable in management and in fact seriously in debt, shades of 1971. If Crowe leaves, the castle will probably fall.

Manly, through recent success with a very good central group of players, has not been able to go into the market for marquee players, but unless they are able to soon replace through their junior programme, the likes of the Stewarts, Kite, King, Watmough, Lyon and Matai with similarly classy players, there will come a time when they will have to go into the market for a few big name players or slip down the ladder. Hopefully the Saos, Trbojevics, Guthersons, Chee-Kans, Hikus et al will fill those future spots with similar talent. Manly's big problem though is always going to be about sufficient funds, lack of junior strength, medium support base, a fragile management structure, but an excellent tradition, coaching structure, morale and environment.

But in the end a team with a lot of money and good management is going to have an advantage in this comp over those without much money because there are ways of legally stretching the rules of the League financial structure and get an advantage over other clubs without those resources.

Folau has the chance to play in a World Cup and the Olympics if he stays in RU.

Whilst he looks like Bernard Bresslaw from the Carry On Films, he can not be that stupid to pick Belmore over making more money and international fame:cool:

I hope he does go to the dogs. If they use their salary cap that's one less club that can't target our players.

HappilyManly said:
Folau has the chance to play in a World Cup and the Olympics if he stays in RU.

Whilst he looks like Bernard Bresslaw from the Carry On Films, he can not be that stupid to pick Belmore over making more money and international fame:cool:

I don't see the similarity...
18705_1039957623.jpg
images

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8