First Billy, and now Mini: the karate kids

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

captainskin

Reserve Grader
In last nights Bulldogs/Roosters game, Minicello went up to catch a bomb and made it frightfully obvious after he caught the ball to extend a leg in the oppositions direction.

To me, it almost seemed he was doing it on purpose to show the karate kick is an intended weapon to keep defenders at bay, or you are going to cop one in the face.

Minicello's kick was so poorly timed that I thought he must be making a point here. Commentators said very little apart from a minor murmur referring to Slater.

If the flying karate kick is tolerated it will become a habit of many ball jumpers. And who is to say why the team that has just kicked the bomb can't contest the ball with their own flying karate move.

captainskin said:
In last nights Bulldogs/Roosters game, Minicello went up to catch a bomb and made it frightfully obvious after he caught the ball to extend a leg in the oppositions direction.

To me, it almost seemed he was doing it on purpose to show the karate kick is an intended weapon to keep defenders at bay, or you are going to cop one in the face.

Minicello's kick was so poorly timed that I thought he must be making a point here. Commentators said very little apart from a minor murmur referring to Slater.

If the flying karate kick is tolerated it will become a habit of many ball jumpers. And who is to say why the team that has just kicked the bomb can't contest the ball with their own flying karate move.
When the judiciary did'nt suspend Slater for dangerous play they basically gave it the green light. I would'nt recommend Brett try it though, they'd suddenly decide to crack down on it...

The MRC created a monster and will be culpable when a Player gets seriously hurt :mad:

Bending over backwards on the Scum's tactics is reprihensible

I saw that and well done to Mini, as noted above the move was in effect approved when Slater got off. A few more examples of those and there will be an outcry and they'll belatedly 'change the rule' (without having to ban Billy the-greatest-in-history Slater).

HappilyManly said:
The MRC created a monster and will be culpable when a Player gets seriously hurt :mad:

Bending over backwards on the Scum's tactics is reprihensible

More accurately, they bend over forward.

i have no problem with it to be honest .... may sound aggressive or bad sportsmanship...

but the fullbacks or any player going up for the high ball leaves themselves wide open for a dangerous situation or even injury..

the rule has been placed dont tackle mid air , there are still stupid players that dont understand the rule...

if brett has to do that in a game to protect himself from risking an injury , i would say well done !!!

and im sure that any of us felt we could be in danger , and had to act to protect ourselves , we would .

panash said:
i have no problem with it to be honest .... may sound aggressive or bad sportsmanship...

but the fullbacks or any player going up for the high ball leaves themselves wide open for a dangerous situation or even injury..

the rule has been placed dont tackle mid air , there are still stupid players that dont understand the rule...

if brett has to do that in a game to protect himself from risking an injury , i would say well done !!!

and im sure that any of us felt we could be in danger , and had to act to protect ourselves , we would .

The rule has been set that you can't tackle a bloke in mid-air. To then have a player deside the rule is not sufficient and I need to create extra defences by kicking out is problematic and will cause injury the other way.

A player running with the ball can't lift his elbow to the height of his own head and neck because he thinks he needs further protection in case an opposition player makes a defensive play at his head.

If we were to take this to another level (please allow a little silliness here) the game could allow for all jumpers of the ball to lead with their legs and feet (a kick) in the name of self preotection. Imagine all the blockers who feign they are trying to catch the pill all leeding with a kick. (Ok, silliness over):s

What is the rule in GayFL?

True, I don't like game eitrher but I'm sure this happens frequently.
Let's not re-invent the wheel.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting, those cats were fast as lightning
In fact it was a little bit fright'ning, but they fought with expert timing

The lunacy of Slater being cleared over his kung fu kick was highlighted by DCE's brilliant effort to leap and snatch the ball from the arms of Michael Gordon on Saturday.

Already we have seen Minichello copy Slater's tactic to keep rivals at bay.

As it was Gordon had a knee raised, but if fullbacks are allowed to actually kick out when taking a bomb then that spectacular play of leaping to contest a bomb, like Cherry did, will be rubbed out of the game altogether.

BOZO said:
Everybody was Kung Fu fighting, those cats were fast as lightning

Oh-oh-oh-oh...

Everybody was Storm Fu fighting, those thugs were fast as lightning

There was cheatin' Cameron man from skanky Brisbane town
They were chopping them up, they were chopping them down
It’s an ancient* Melbourne art
And every Storm thug knew his part
From a chicken wing into a slip, then they're kickin' from the hip

There was grubby Billy Slater and little Cooper Cronk
He said, here comes Bellyache, let's get it on
They took a dive and made a stand, started whingeing to the ref man
A Skivvy hit made Slater slip, now they're into a brand new trip

In fact it was a little bit fright'ning, but they did it with expert timing

Oh-oh-oh-oh...

In fact it was a little bit fright'ning, make sure you have expert timing

Oh-oh-oh-oh...

Storm Fu fighting, had to be fast as lightning...

*Since 2003 anyway

Appropriate methinks..

[attachment=451]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366269008.554509.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 24
KOMORI said:
Appropriate methinks..

that was very funny - very funny indeed.

lismore_fan said:
What is the rule in GayFL?

True, I don't like game eitrher but I'm sure this happens frequently.
Let's not re-invent the wheel.

Ive seen players crawl up backs using their knees but never launch their karate kick out when contesting a possible front on collision jump.:-/

Not one person here could see Phantars post and not sing along while reading it.

Unless of course you were on public transport.

Jatz Crackers said:
Not one person here could see Phantars post and not sing along while reading it.

Unless of course you were on public transport.

I chose to read it in Morgan Freeman's voice :)

Just think for a moment if Bullet had stuck his boot out in the 2007 GF. Maybe took a gash out of Crockers face. Do you think there would have been an outcry? Lets not forget that only 12 months later, Slater tried to boot Robbo in the face as well. What a bunch of grubs.

Unless you guys mentioned it elsewhere.....

C'mon...against Manly he did the most obvious one yet.

He landed without his foot up, saw a defender running at him, then raised it and kicked our player in the torso.

Someone has got to get the nrl to take a stance on this. Our guy wasn't hurt but billy didn't even try to raise it 'in the air'....Just after he landed.

He is such a protected scumbag.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4