Federal Politics question

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Cameron

Make Manly Great Again #Hasler2019
I wonder if anyone can clear this up for me.

So this Thomson joker it appears he is going to be charged for paying for pros on a Union credit card

You would think he will have to resign from politics, thus creating a need for a Bi-Election you would also assume Liberal-National Coalition would be a great chance of winning the seat.

That happens we have a hung paraliment again would that be enough to trigger an election.

**** i hope so.

This government is a joke

This government is the worst I have ever seen. Rudd would have done a much better job. The Labour party finally won power back only to completely and utterly screw it up. We will never again have the days of Hawke and Keating unfortunately.

Problem is that, the mad monk is no bloody better and I really don't want his moral standard imposed on everyone else.

I am not sure he really is the lesser of two evils it seems they are both equally crap

if have a bible basher who has the team who will help small business and the econmy over a flithy communist ranga who has NFI

The complication Cambo is (and check the other election thread where I knew last October about this current scam) there is a similar instance with a Liberal back bencher.

That is why Abbott and co are not hammering this issue home, and why it has taken over 12 months for this to raise its head. The Libs knew about Thompsons union credit card long before I did in October, and well before the last election.

Abbott and Turnbull didnt raise the issue when it was brought to their attention because they were protecting one of their own, and thats is still the case.

The political climate has changed somewhat now and it is getting interesting.

On another note

I see today the mining industry made 22 Billion profit last financial year. Gee I am glad Abbott and the fools howled down the mining tax, that profit would of been reduced right down to around 20 billion, such was the impost of this dreadful tax.

No doubt this would of sent Gina Rynehart, Clive Palmer, Twiggy Forrest and co to the the wall, the poor buggers.

It seems sometimes like the parties have swapped idiologies. Abbott with his super generous maternity leave funded by a tax on business, a Lib carbon solution based on hitting the taxpayer rather than user-pays etc.

I blame the gutless Labor govt for half the dilemmas we have - if they had stood their ground on the mining tax (which I doubt would have had an investment impact), then we wouldn't be copping the idiotic campaigns from the likes of the tobacco companies (plain packaging), the pokie lobby (pre-set limits), live exports etc every day in the papers. They destroyed their own capability to govern.

BTW Bob the $22 billion is for just BHP. Add in Rio who reported USD14.3 billion, and the hundreds of miners then it is a lot higher. The mining industry has a profit margin of 37%, leading every other sector of the economy (next nearest was 24%). In FY 2009 the Oz mining industry EBITDA/Revenue ratio was 43% while the worlds largest 40 mining companies had a comparable estimate of 30%. IMO for a finite resource we own we are not getting the right return.

Labor is on the right side of pretty much all of the issues, but is losing all of the arguments. Pathetic really.

Do people really see Tony Abbott as prime minister material? I'd be embarrassed to see him meeting world leaders.

Thanks for clearing that up MB, I caught a glimpse on the news last night, seen the article today in todays paper.

Yeah youre right about changing idiologies, Turnbull (whom I really like these days) confuses me the most and must be a constant worry to both Abbott and Gillard.

I am not sure the government are gutless, they just dont have any power due the numbers. Maybe its a bit of both.

The Gronk said:
Do people really see Tony Abbott as prime minister material? I'd be embarrassed to see him meeting world leaders.

and you're not when you see (and hear) Julia meeting them?

I'm not worried she'll be seen prancing around with no clothes on, or sprouting some totally offensive and inappropriate thought bubble like Abbott is prone to.

bob dylan said:
The complication Cambo is (and check the other election thread where I knew last October about this current scam) there is a similar instance with a Liberal back bencher.

That is a very long bow you've drawn, Bob.

The Gillard govt are trying to convince the public that shop lifting (inexcusable but relatively minor) is in the same mould as 100k worth of alleged fraud.

Fair work Aust still investigating alleged misuse of funds from the HSU after 2 yrs and still no finding? Not to worry, we can all safely rely on the govt to hold FWA to account.

The Gronk said:
I'm not worried she'll be seen prancing around with no clothes on, or sprouting some totally offensive and inappropriate thought bubble like Abbott is prone to.

Abbott doesn't prance around Canberra in his budgie smugglers. The photographs on him and his budgies are always taken on the weekends when he is down at Queenscliff having a surf.

The guy is allowed to have a weekend off work to himself without the media circus following his every move on his days off. Plenty of other people at the beach on summer weekends with abbott but they only put his picture in the newspapers.

I think people need to get over pictures of him like this as it is his private time and he is not at work.

I think that it is a lot worse for politicians like Keating and Carr to have marriages of convenience in order to further their careers instead of telling the truth that they are gay.

I think we can all agree that both are better than Bob Katters "Australian Party"

His rambling about same sex marriage makes me sick, the fact he is our federal representative makes me even more sick, then to find out his own brother is gay just puts the icing on the cake.

WAMF said:
The Gillard govt are trying to convince the public that shop lifting (inexcusable but relatively minor) is in the same mould as 100k worth of alleged fraud.

Fair work Aust still investigating alleged misuse of funds from the HSU after 2 yrs and still no finding? Not to worry, we can all safely rely on the govt to hold FWA to account.

Dont forget the small fact that the Liberal Senator in question is the only one to be charged by police.

At this stage anyway.

The Liberal senator won't have to leave parliament, even if she is found guilty of shoplifting.
On the other hand, Thompson's alleged 'activities', could attract a significant time in the clinker or at best the charge is likely to attract a penalty of greater than 1 yr gaol (if the allegations are true), which would force him from parliament. Notice the 'small' difference?
Id be happy for both leaders to stand down those MP's under investigation. Do you think that if the NSW Police announce that sufficient evidence exists to lay charges against Thompson and then Abbott stands his somewhat inconsequential senator down, that Gillard would follow suit and do the same with Thompson?
I'd be willing to walk to the moon as part of that bet. lol

Daniel said:
This government is the worst I have ever seen. Rudd would have done a much better job. The Labour party finally won power back only to completely and utterly screw it up. We will never again have the days of Hawke and Keating unfortunately.

Problem is that, the mad monk is no bloody better and I really don't want his moral standard imposed on everyone else.

I am not sure he really is the lesser of two evils it seems they are both equally crap

Agree,also that joker is kidding if he thinks $10m is going to get Brookvale up to scratch,the old bird needs more than that imo

The ABC's election expert Anthony Green has a fantastic blog and he's gone to the trouble of explaining what the protocol is for the situation being faced by Parliament, brought on by the alleged wrongdoing of Craig Thompson.

What Happens when the Speaker Resigns?

With the problems currently being encountered by the Labor MP for Dobell Craig Thomson, speculation has begun to turn to what would happen if Thomson voluntarily or otherwise vacated his seat.

Given the government's dire polling and Dobell's vulnerable 5.1% margin, the odds would be on the Liberal Party gaining Dobell at any by-election.

Excluding Speaker Jenkins who can only vote in the event of a tie, a Liberal victory in Dobell would leave the 149 members on the floor of the House as Labor 70, Coalition 73, plus one Green, three Independents generally backing the government (Oakeshott, Wilkie, Windsor), as well as Independent Bob Katter on the cross benches and WA National MP Tony Crook who states he is not a member of the Coalition.

In those circumstances, Labor plus the Green and three generally supportive Independents could only muster 74 votes, defeated on every vote where Katter and Crook back the Coalition. But if Jenkins resigned as Speaker and a Coalition member could be convinced to take the chair (or maybe Katter or Crook), the government could then muster 75 votes to 74 on the Opposition side.

Some people seem to have assumed that Deputy Speaker Peter Slipper would automatically become Speaker. This is not the case. Mr Slipper can act for the Speaker, but someone must hold the office of Speaker for him to act in the role.

Under the standing orders of the House of Representatives, if the Speaker's position falls vacant, the House cannot transact any normal business until it elects a new Speaker.

Assuming all the above about Dobell, getting Mr Jenkins to resign would facilitate the Gillard government luring an opposition member to fill the post of Speaker, restoring the government's floor majority. But if the parliament cannot resolve a new speaker, it cannot transact business and there would be no option other than another election, unless Labor put one of its own back in the Chair and continued to try and govern.

There is precedent for a Speaker resigning in this sort of situation. In 1911 the first Labor government in NSW faced a similar problem following the resignation of two Labor MPs from parliament, potentially depriving the government of its majority. It created a major constitutional imbroglio eventually resolved by Acting Labor Premier William Holman convincing a conservative MP to take the post of Speaker.

I highly recommend the following article by Associate Professor Anne Twomey from Sydney University's Law School on the 1911 NSW Speaker crisis. One of Australia's leading constitutional law experts, Professor Twomey's article beautifully summarises how the lessons of 1911 are relevant today.

The article was published in Quadrant and can be found at http://www.quadrant.org.au/magazine/issue/2010/11/how-to-succeed-in-a-hung-parliament

Posted by Antony Green on August 22, 2011 at 01:56 PM in Federal Politics and Governments, New South Wales Election History

http://blogs.abc.net.au/antonygreen/2011/08/what-happens-when-a-speaker-resigns.html

god help us with Katter holding any power

The Gronk said:

+1,000,000

This is why I will not vote Libs at the moment, if he is the best they have, then they are in trouble.

Daniel said:
god help us with Katter holding any power

Wouldn't that be gold, make for some interesting times that's for sure.

I think that it is a lot worse for politicians like Keating and Carr to have marriages of convenience in order to further their careers instead of telling the truth that they are gay.

As for this, WTF ? I'd heard the rumours about Carr, but Keating ??

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4