Features you would like to see on silvertails

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
Hi all,

I constantly want to improve the experience for you all in silvertails, as well as the interaction we all have with each other.

In line with this I am wondering if there are any cool features or things that you would like to see.

I can program most things, given enough time to do it of course and if there are anything that you can think of that would improve your experience please feel free to let me know.

Dan

Option to mark a Thread as read, without opening it.
This would move it off the top of the list.

Eg Supercoach has no relevance to me, but I need to press Last and wait for it to open, just to close it again. Mobile access would speed up.

HappilyManly said:
Option to mark a Thread as read, without opening it.
This would move it off the top of the list.

Eg Supercoach has no relevance to me, but I need to press Last and wait for it to open, just to close it again. Mobile access would speed up.

Mobile access exists already. Accessing the site with a mobile device should automatically enable this or use the mobile version link at the bottom.

But mark read should be a simple hack, I'll work on it this week

Is there a source to get a free data feed ?, so that the current live score on all NRL matches can be seen on the right underneath where we have the current Manly match ?

EagleFromMay1967 said:
Is there a source to get a free data feed ?, so that the current live score on all NRL matches can be seen on the right underneath where we have the current Manly match ?

This can be done but it puts us into a legal grey area. I could grab live RSS feeds legally or update quick scores on a delayed basis. Legally sports data who provide the live scores charge around 20k per week for them. I can grab them in other ways legally but very grey. I'm not massively enthusiastic about it but I can do something...

Dan said:
Mobile access exists already. Accessing the site with a mobile device should automatically enable this or use the mobile version link at the bottom.

I meant that on my lazy 6 hour journey to / from the Central Coast, my mobile reception was erratic and it would have been a faster reload if I could have just 'Marked as Read' some topics.

Thanks in advance Dan :angel:

HappilyManly said:
Dan said:

I meant that on my lazy 6 hour journey to / from the Central Coast, my mobile reception was erratic and it would have been a faster reload if I could have just 'Marked as Read' some topics.

Thanks in advance Dan :angel:

The server was under heavy load after Fridays game I was fighting fires from half time just trying to keep the site running. I've fixed some of it but not all. Going to be trying to rectifying it further this week. At one point we got to 113% capacity (I have some overflow for those situations) but yeah it meant for about 2 hours the site was slow and I was not real happy about it.

I'm looking at moving the site after July, to a managed solution which means those situations should be reduced. Either way I like your suggestion and should be an easy one to implement

Dan said:
The server was under heavy load after Fridays game I was fighting fires from half time just trying to keep the site running. I've fixed some of it but not all. Going to be trying to rectifying it further this week. At one point we got to 113% capacity (I have some overflow for those situations) but yeah it meant for about 2 hours the site was slow and I was not real happy about it.

I'm looking at moving the site after July, to a managed solution which means those situations should be reduced. Either way I like your suggestion and should be an easy one to implement

Yeah I noticed the lag and couldn't access on the way back home.
I thought that the SL Dream of a billion Chinese Manly Fans had been realized and they saturated the network :D

Is there a simple way of positioning the view of a post to be at the bottom?
The multiple quote quoted replies again just slow down the viewing.

HappilyManly said:
Dan said:

Yeah I noticed the lag and couldn't access on the way back home.
I thought that the SL Dream of a billion Chinese Manly Fans had been realized and they saturated the network :D

Is there a simple way of positioning the view of a post to be at the bottom?
The multiple quote quoted replies again just slow down the viewing.

Do you work for the nrl? All this speed up viewing stuff...

I guess it's down to interpretation
I can remove quotes and so on but that comes with added server load. Server load means slow loading which slows things down and so on and so on

The Eagle Has Landed said:
And also the site is alot slower than it used to be I have a fair bit of lag.

Depends on when. During the game we were getting hammered with server load, I was manually killing processes for about 2 hours.

Once that cleared load seemed fine even from here. The site is hosted in Hong Kong so it's going to be faster for you guys than me. But if day in day out it's slow then I need to trace that

SeaEagleRock8 said:
I couldn't access the site on Friday night, I guess the traffic was the reason.

Wasn't traffic, the server chose that moment to **** itself. Which meant I was fighting fires until I could reboot it without constant load this morning.

I ran some more maintenance as well so it should be be better next week, though I'm working on more improvements daily load wise

FYI server load right now is 5.5 which should usually be 0.8 so I'm trying to find out why this is happening as we speak

Dan said:
Do you work for the nrl? All this speed up viewing stuff...

I guess it's down to interpretation
I can remove quotes and so on but that comes with added server load. Server load means slow loading which slows things down and so on and so on

No - but if you remember in Oz we have sloooow telephony.

On the desktop everything is spiffy :)

Can I get each of you to clear your cache?

Mobile should be significantly faster by the way

Read initial thread without opening it.

"Dislke" button!

Main site is unusable with Safari, have had to install chrome to access this site.

COMMANDER said:
Read initial thread without opening it.

"Dislke" button!

Main site is unusable with Safari, have had to install chrome to access this site.

What exactly makes it unusable besides safari being ****e?

I test the site in chrome, Firefox and safari usually

I currently work from a Mac book air and ipad

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7