Announcement Failures lead us to a temp server

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
Ladies and gentlemen, our server host moved us to new hardware this afternoon and on that move nothing worked and I couldnt get into the site at all, through any method.

So I grabbed the backup from yesterday and moved us to a temporary server in Singapore.

Hopefully I resolve the other issues and can get a backup of our data from this afternoon so that i can restore us at least to that point

With that said we will keep posting and I will see what data merge i can do, but the ultimate hope is to get a chunk of data, particularly tipping data back so we have no major loss.
Am extremely unhappy with the situation and the servers we are on. I just dumped a big chunk of change on the servers for the years in feb, now it looks like I will need to find another thousand and get us on a different server, but in the meantime this should at least have us running super smoothly for a bit.

sorry again, i need more sleep that this has let me have and really didnt need this and i am sure none of you wanted it either.

dan

All of that is to say this is a temporary fix for a while and I hope to not lose too much between now and the perm fix

Good work @Dan

I would love to lend a hand but I know nothing about what you were just talking about.
All good mate, basically things broke couldn't raise the only person who could fix itz so moved our data to Singapore to make sure we are running and hopefully I get the old stuff back up in the morning to minimise data loss

Also means I'm likely to dump another $1000 on the site this year

I got to "our server host moved us to new hardware this afternoon" and thought what the fark is he talking about.
Thanks for whatever you are doing to get it all sorted.

I always ask for a 6 year old when I'm faced with new electronic equipment. They seem to understand it so easily. Me? Well you know about old dogs.

I need to get the old server up today so I can recover data specifically the tipping comp data. Then I'll make a call on whether we move back there or not.

How is everyine finding this server?

It's making everyone's spelling atrocious.

But besides that, it is working fine for me. Fast, shiny, and with blonde hair.

Maybe we can all chip in $10 to try and help @Dan as you should not have to foot the bill ;)
I'd be in and I'm sure most would.
I confess to feeling mildly unstable when ST is offline. I need to keep checking for when it's back up. When it's back up I don't even necessarily need to read or post. Just need to know it's up and running.:giggle:
I am n'pops and I'm a Silvertailsaholic. It's my 10 year anniversary this March too.
Thanks Dan.

Maybe we can all chip in $10 to try and help @Dan as you should not have to foot the bill ;)
Mate, can't even get half the regular users on here to chip in $25 for a tipping comp, which is exactly what it was designed for - to help cover the costs of running the site.

Looks like we are getting a refund of the payment for the last server but have to suffer the data loss, which means I can poor the money into a different server. If this one is running quite well I can see how it goes and stay here and just bump up the specs a bit.

It is based in Singapore rather than Sydney but seems a better tuned bit of hardware

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6